NanoTrasen Training Day

MattTheFicus

Name of Event: NanoTrasen Training Day

One Sentence Description: Time to teach the Crew how to be a better Crew!

Map Changes: No/Maybe? (Admemes spawning certain things may make it easier, see below [mostly Sec/Engi stuff])

Suggested Number of Players: Any, though higher pop could be a tad messier but "train" more people.

Full Description of Event:

An idea I've been toying with in my head for a while has been a semi-event/semi-changed Extended Roundtype where the Crew has a "Training Day" where assistants, staff members, and other crew cross-train or straight up learn new departments for a Shift. This could be a weekly thing at specified times where new players or experienced players can swap ideas and "training" ICly to try to teach new players or simply interested players how to do certain things in their departments. 

For example, Atmospherics can have a SM Setup tutorial, Security can do arrest drills with fake "antags" with some Syndie gear to play practically "tag" with, Science can do Toxins, RND, Robotics and such, and medical can just beat the shit out of some humanized monkeys and teach how to fix different races without worrying about SUPER SERIOUS injuries from the crew, Mining can do Megafauna training, and perhaps a SOO or Naval Officer can discuss proper Command behavior or SoP with aspiring future Heads or current ones.

This would be something a Captain can decide to do in an Extended round, but you never REALLY know if its Extended or if its just a precursor to an Admeme event anyway. Hence why a CC Announcement of such a "Training Day" would be a big 'OK' that youre not gonna get T-Spider'd or some other spooky midround while teaching how the Turbine works.

In a more OOC focus, perhaps allow Mentors or experienced Crew teach in voice comms some of the training as well. While this breaks SOME of the IC immersion, It may be useful to answer some harder or more nuanced questions. While this turns it more into a COMMUNITY event than an IC one, I really do think it would be helpful. Perhaps, if we would want to take it one step further, make it an Announced event on Discord or such, so that people can turn up if they wish to partake.

This idea has been bouncing around my head for a bit, so any feedback or suggestions are 100% welcome!

• Like 9
  • explodyparrot 1

Great suggestion! Giving inexperienced people a chance to try new stuff with no danger of "failing" is amazing.

I mostly play sec and command so the first ideas that spring to mind is the HoS asking the HoP to hire someone to play a Victim and someone to play a Criminal. The test officers could practice talking to a victim and get details then find the criminal. Bonus points if the Victim and Criminal are stereotyped as a sweet old lady and a bearded greytider or clown, respectively. Extra bonus points if the person they hired as a criminal, actually is a traitor. Would lead to a really interesting learning experience!

• Like 1

CC could send a box of "Confiscated Syndicate Contraband" to be used by an officer to "simulate" a traitor for the trainees to pursuit. I still would want it to be Extended with no REAL antags, solely so that it would be TRAINING and not someone fighting for Greentext.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 11:13 PM, Maxfromsweden said:

I mostly play sec and command so the first ideas that spring to mind is the HoS asking the HoP to hire someone to play a Victim and someone to play a Criminal. The test officers could practice talking to a victim and get details then find the criminal.

Honestly, I've wanted to volunteer for such a position to help train officers, but since most rounds have either a) actual antags, b) limited security, or c) both, I haven't found the right opportunity to do so. 

So yeah, an opportunity to learn/help sec and atmos and other department I dont main? Hell yeah. I would love this idea.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use