Add new job: Orderly

Warior4356

Let's outline the problem first off. 

A pretty common complaint in the department section of the poll was that people tend to run a muck, take things, or do whatever they want in medical.

Compared to basically any other department, people don't respect the access or understand that it is trespassing to go in without being invited by someone who works there. Similarly stocking up on medicines as security or mining in particular is meta, and no one treats this like the theft it is. The common response to this is security should be dealing with this, but in most cases this both something they don't care about and are too busy to do it.

The other problem medbay often has is the frankly massive amount of blood everywhere, however as infections are a thing and medbay should be kept clean it either means harassing the janitor or getting soap or cleaner with a doctor or the CMO cleaning the floor instead of treating people.

My proposal to solve this is adding a new job named orderly.

• Possible alternate names "ward attendant", "nurse assistant", or "healthcare assistant".
  • Their access would be limited to the main areas of medical. 
  • They would be expected to keep medical clean and orderly. This includes cleaning the floors, restraining violent or resisting patients, and removing trespassers. Additionally doing minor first aid and manning the front desk are recommended.
  • Their equipment would include a bar of soap and a bottle of cleaner. Give them a locker in the front desk area.

From here I have two divergent ideas on how they can deal with either people breaking in, 

1. Give them a baton and a way to apply ether(patches, hypo, syringe). This would come with an SOP where they are treated like bartender regarding their baton and taking it outside of medical where they would be subject to possession of a weapon charge. This is to prevent valid hunting.
  2. I prefer this idea. Take a page out of the cook's loadout and give them a martial art that only works in the medbay. This solves the issue about valid hunting as a orderly only has the ability to easily trip and grab people inside the medbay. 

UPDATE: If I go the CQC route I would be removing all harm based moves from the CQC which leaves them with the following:

• Disarm: 65% chance for 5 brute and to take what's in hand.
  • Grab: Instant aggressive grab.
  • Grab Grab: Applies 5 stun and "restrains" them for 5 seconds. If they are restrained and you use a disarm they get hit with a chokehold for 10 sleep.
  • Disarm Grab: Does 60 stam damage.
  • 75% chance to block melee if you are in throw stance with an item in hand

In conclusion:

Pros:

• Keeps medical clean.
  • Reduces disruptions to medical working.
  • Lets doctors focus on serious injuries by dealing with minor external injuries.
  • Removes dealing with people fucking around in medical from security’s workload, as they are already too busy to do it.

Cons:

• Possible valid hunting. - This can be addressed with SOP to be possessing a weapon outside medbay for their baton, or giving a martial art instead that only works in medbay.
  • Medbay is already crowded. - This should be mitigated by their existence, rather than exacerbated by it because they should be removing everyone who doesn't belong in medbay from medbay.

I'd like to refine this idea enough that I can make a PR for it that will get serious consideration so I welcome any and all feedback.

Edited by Warior4356
  • Like 8

I think this is a good idea. Medbay getting its own janitor slash bouncer could really help, since it's such a chaotic department when things go down. 

Without going to deep into it or thinking of any consequences, I like the idea.  It's simple, useful, and doesn't require too much effort or thought.  There have been security members that applied for medical bodyguard access, and dedicated janitors make sense for a department that gets blood everywhere.  +1.

God yes, please. I'd love for someone competent to fill this role, and I'd fill it personally quite a few rounds. The #1 thing that annoys me is people(medbay included) treating Medical as all access. This would definitely help things quite a fair amount and is definitely something that's needed in my opinion.

Yes, this wonderful idea
It's time to put an end to some random people trespassing, shitcurity stealing meds as a meta, etc.
We need a bouncer in medical, like soldier needs a rifle.
VERY

Yeah I really like that idea, CQC in medbay to stop tiders and petty thieves, or the clown trespassing to get lube, etc. It's much better than having me as the CMO go after the people stealing the meds I use to heal people because I'm the only one with an actual mean to take people down non-lethally, not considering the syringe gun in the equation, especially since sec rarely respond to any pleads of help because they have bigger things to deal with.

Great suggestion! If someone manned the front desk you could also have fun RP:s of people having to wait to be treated for a little while with emergency patients being prioritized. If you want to go the paperwork route, you could also give people a form to fill out about their injuries or diseases.

If we do give them CQC or similar, we need to decide one very important question: What punny name do we give this martial art? It wouldn't be SS13 without a punny name.

3 hours ago, Spacemanspark said:

We can call it 'The Malpractice Blunder' :^) 

"Kung Flu".

"Vaccinator's volley"

"Way of the healing hand"

"Surgeon's strike"

"Fist Aid"

"The art of Iswearifyoudragmypatientawayfrommeagainthattoolboxwillbeshovedsofarwherethesundontshineyoullneedacavitysurgeryjusttopullitout"

"The hippocritic oath" (deliberately misspelled)

Personally, I like the last one the most. 

• Like 1

Giving them CQC is way too powerful. You know that sooner or later, you're just going to have Orderlies harm kicking people into unconsciousness because its more a effective knockout/stun. A simple telebaton should do the trick.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SteelSlayer said:

Giving them CQC is way too powerful. You know that sooner or later, you're just going to have Orderlies harm kicking people into unconsciousness because its more a effective knockout/stun. A simple telebaton should do the trick.

Two questions then: 

1. Why is okay for the chef to have this then? If you're argument is that people don't come into the kitchen and cause trouble, that's kinda proving my point that something like this is needed.
  2. Having a look at the combos, what if it was cqc without the harm?

CQC sans harm is as follow:

• Disarm: 65% chance for 5 brute and to take what's in hand.
  • Grab: Instant aggressive grab.
  • Grab Grab: Applies 5 stun and "restrains" them for 5 seconds. If they are restrained and you use a disarm they get hit with a chokehold for 10 sleep.
  • Disarm Grab: Does 60 stam damage.
  • 75% chance to block melee if you are in throw stance with an item in hand

I talked about this with Warrior and some others in mentor chat on discord. Not going to post everything.. but I like the #2 option here ^. More knockouts/stamina drains than just "harm harm harm" into unconsciousness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good idea as it will also help people to understand other depertments when they begin in those depertments. To be fair I should be one of the people teaching new players integrate but I have noticed often times your just to bussy or you have to much stuff around you that needs special attention that you cannot teach someone how to be good.

I'm a fan of "Fist Aid," myself; I'm totally gonna say that the next time I have to restrain some tweaker idiot at work to treat them. Lessee, to lay out their background:

"You are the Orderly. Your job is to keep the Medbay clean and safe."

Access: Medbay, Surgery (to help with patient movement and keeping Surgery safe from tspiders, slaughter demons, and similar baddies), Maintenance.

Starting Equipment: Uniform, shoes, ID+PDA (Medical cartridge), Medical headset, soap, space cleaner, 1 pair of handcuffs. Has CQC applicable in Medbay areas, like the Chef's "Close-Quarters Cooking." Ideally would have a specialized Orderly Vest, perhaps grey or dark blue, to differentiate them from other Medbay personnel.

Starting Location: Medbay front desk (it's a semi-private place for the Orderly to call their own, and them being there is just generally useful). Could also have an 'Orderly's Locker' in the front desk area, Surgery access, to give the Orderly a greater attachment to the area.

Starting Numbers: 1, cannot be changed by HoP.

Orderly SOP:

1. The Orderly is required to issue verbal warnings before resorting to force. The Orderly may not use force on Security personnel at any time without express permission from the Captain or Head of Security;

2. The Orderly may use Fist Aid, their close-quarters combat training, in order to subdue and secure unruly individuals in the Medbay itself. However, they may not use lethal or near-lethal force unless the subject cannot be secured via other means (if they're an un-stunnable hulk, for instance) or if the Orderly's own life is in danger. If the individual retreats from the Medbay, the Orderly must /not/ pursue, and shall instead report them to Security for later apprehending;

3. The Orderly is exempt from legal ramifications when dutifully handling unruly individuals in the Medbay, provided that they followed Guidelines 1 and 2;

4. The Orderly may not possess lethal weaponry, such as lasers or combat shotguns. Exception is made during major emergencies, such as Nuclear Operatives or Blob Organisms;

5. The Orderly may assist the CMO in carrying out lawful orders, such as barring select personnel from the Medbay or demoting Medbay staff. However, the Captain and Head of Security's authority supercedes the CMO on matters of station security, and the Orderly shall follow their instructions in such matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be very cautious handing out cqc - even without harm. It'd require more tweaks imho - as a single agressive grab is the absolute strongest form of stun - not even adrenals or any kinds of stimulants will get you out of it AFAIK. Yes, you can spam resist until you eventually break out and adrenal the stun away, but by that point you're already asleep and disarm spammed anyways.

Doing any kind of antag stuff in medbay, in this example, is already asking to get lynched - having someone with cqc there too elevates the difficulty to a 100, and if the guy's even remotely validdy and robust it'll ruin many a rounds. 

I love the overall idea though - don't take me wrong !

Edited by Peak
  • Like 2

I think it would be good to have someone who can beat the crap out of someone if they trespass and give people a short trip to the morgue  keep order in medbay and perhaps a designated medbay cleaner. We definitely need it at times. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use