Miner ERT

DaveKorhal

I'd like a Miner ERT added for special circumstances such as:

• Megafauna invading Mining Base.
  • Security assaulting a Cult Base on Lavaland.
  • Lack of minerals (due to dead miners).
  • Megafauna on station.

Gear would include a modded KA, an ERT hardsuit w/ oxygen tank, a plasma cutter, a GPS device, a crew monitor, and a crew pinpointer.

I honestly kinda like the idea, given that nobody else is able to really go into lavaland when the situation requires it. Its a giant meme that security going to lavaland = dead. But I do have a few questions; Are they all going to be ashproof? What about fireproof? Will those traits be gamma restricted or just normal ERT? Also make sure they get an advanced scanner, drill or pickaxe, and some bluespace shelter capsules.

Edited by TheMaveran

• Megafauna on station.
    If we did set up something like that. Energy based weapons are completely out of the question. So ballistics would be required - along with deathsquad level armor but only for the megafauna. So let's assume that's a Gamma level situation.

Alterations to the Red ERT suits to make them ashstorm resistant, give them a GPS with the orders to AVOID x y and z, and a medic.

Unfortunately I don't see this as an ERT worthy situation. The HoP simply needs to open more slots and hire from the crew.
Edited by xProlithium

18 hours ago, DaveKorhal said:

I'd like a Miner ERT added for special circumstances such as:

• Megafauna on station.

Gear would include a modded KA, an ERT hardsuit w/ oxygen tank, a plasma cutter, a GPS device, a crew monitor, and a crew pinpointer.

1. Megafauna invading the mining base is not ERT-worthy. They shouldn't spawn that close to the base, and the miners should know better than kiting them back to the base.
  2. Security shouldn't need to go to lavaland to attack cult. They can just camp around the cult's teleport runes and arrest everyone who comes through. Or catch cultists on station with random searches. I really don't think teams of ERT going to lavaland is going to end with anything except an ERT-gear-equipped cult.
  3. Lack of minerals it not ERT-worthy.
  4. Megafauna on station is a serious issue, but the solution for it isn't ERT, the solution is making it much, much harder for megafauna to get on station in the first place.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Kyet said:
  1. Security shouldn't need to go to lavaland to attack cult. They can just camp around the cult's teleport runes and arrest everyone who comes through. Or catch cultists on station with random searches. I really don't think teams of ERT going to lavaland is going to end with anything except an ERT-gear-equipped cult.
  2. Megafauna on station is a serious issue, but the solution for it isn't ERT, the solution is making it much, much harder for megafauna to get on station in the first place.

Megafauna on station first since thats a simpler issue. I don't really think its an issue either way. There are only 2 ways for it to really happen. A player luring megafauna onto the shuttle, and emagged jaunters. If a player does either of these things and aren't hijackers then the solution is a ban not making it even more difficult.

I'm not sure that trying to passively stop the cult when they're well secured on lavaland is a great approach. An experienced cultist with a handful of papers can leave a bunch of hidden one way runes on station. You can only do so much to watch the runes when they're invisible and numerous. Random searches help but won't really stop blitzes where a cultist teleports in, kidnaps, and teleports out. I think the proposed but closed blood cult cult rework had a decent idea of Z level teleports leaving an obvious tear in reality for a minute afterward. So you could pinpoint the location of of station bases better.

Really though I'm not against security assaulting off station lavaland bases but their approach not great most of the time. No reason to send the whole security team. Just send one officer or trustworthy miner out with a tracking beacon/implant and teleport out there once the location has been found. This way you're not leaving the station without a security team while you try and hunt it out. For return trips the handheld teleporter would be great. Hopefully you still have it. But broadly I agree. Security shouldn't be leaving the station to SEARCH for a base but attacking one they can teleport to and teleport back from is worthwhile.

EDIT:
Forgot the original thread topic. I don't think Lavaland ERT are needed. Against megafauna on station they're only as effective as regular ERT. The mining base is mining's job to protect and if its lost then you're out of minerals  for the shift. The only emergency thats really ERT worthy is a cult base on lavaland and in that case you should really just be sending one individual to locate it. Just test and implant one of the miners with tracking and mindshields and have them go search.

Edited by Pennwick
Forgot original topic

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see the point of a mining ERT. If minerals are an issue. make miners high priority. If miner jobs are filled, have sci bitch until they get more manifest miners.

Also, make it so explorers have to go out into space to collect minerals. People forget that those asteroids on different Z levels have minerals too. Space mining is still a thing.

Cult bases should really just have a borg locate them, then book it out of there. Going into the enemies den is a great way to lose people and make the cult stronger.

Megafauna in the mining post means the miners fucked up, and that's on them. Have miners become space miners rather than lavaland miners. (Anyone know if fulton works in space or only on lavalands?)

Megafauna on station... well... I agree that if you aren't hijack you shouldn't be doing it, and deserve a good bwoink. As well... I don't think jaunters should be "emaggable" I think you should have to purchase a hacked jaunter as a custom miner syndicate item, that is only available if you are hijacking. As well, if it was an accident and you were fleeing and lets say an ash drake landed in the shuttle... The GOAT is an all purpose tool for non antag, massive problems.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use