Esseno Ban Complaint

Octus

Admin(s) Key: @Esenno = CKEY = Esenno
Your ckey (Byond username): Octus
Your Discord name (if applicable): Octus

Date(s) of incident (GMT preferred): 8/27/2020

Nature of complaint: Vagueness, Misapplication of rules, IC issue that escalated to sudden banning, Admin Inconsistency. 

The Complaint

(long read get some coffee)

Hey hey people, so I got banned in game today for something that is an IC issue, species prejudice. And a bunch of other stuff I dont entirely agree with which ill explain later, firstly this was the initial ban, 

yY7FOcS.png

this later got moved to something else while I was writing,

nAgxMYz.png

the original ban was because of one comment but while writing this, it got moved to me being "graytidey", abusing the AIs laws, and me tormenting a "helpless player". All of which are more IC issues that seemed to be slapped on as a way to justify my banning and need to be explained with context.

"Remember when I warned you to tone back the anti-lizard stuff? I actually meant it."

Firstly, I do! we had a conversation about this and I member telling you I would tone it down but my character would still be an in-game speciest. The only insult I made that round was this message which was supposed to be in Vox and not Galactic Common, 

ckQDCMv.png

This is the one and only insult I made in game about lizards, last time I checked, IC speciesism is allowed

UImAevf.png

I don't seem to understand how I broke our agreement or rules in general, you said to tone it back and the only insult I ever said about lizards in that round was this ONE comment (that wasn't supposed to be heard by everyone might I add), and my character is Vox a speciest who has a long history against Unathi for their war crimes and how they treat me IC. Most Unathi players I have this rivalry with don't seem to have an issue and I'm good friends with them on discord and they play along with the in-game speciesm stuff too, and OOC I don't have a grudge against actually Unathi players. Also, its an IC thing that Toko has anger issues, and a lot of players try to help Toko with his problems RP wise (therapy, meetings with lizards, etc) problem is, other species players provoke Toko and it causes this cycle of him almost beating his IC speciest attitude to starting fights with his aggressors. So again, how can I be banned for an IC issue that was ONE insult? Also if people are allowed to make KFV jokes on comms and how vox taste good, how different is this from my own insult. Seems inconsistent to me. (for the record, I'm not actually offended by KFV jokes OOC wise, just IC wise.)

"Tormenting a player claim"

So you failed to mention which player I was "tormenting" so I'm going to assume the only person that comes to mind is Omar (the person I had a conflict within the round), Omar insults Vox EVERY ROUND and insults me in-game every time he gets the chance. It is not fair to ban me for something the same player who has a history of going around tormenting and insulting vox on comms, making KFV jokes, and personally making in-game death jokes at my character and then when there IC insults have consequences result in me, Tool-boxing them ONCE and only ONCE this is used as evidence to say im tormenting a player. I can take a joke and insult in-game and it seems like an IC issue, I'm not sure why this was slapped on because if the banning admin actually read what Omar was saying he really is not as innocent as he seems and his IC speciest remarks logically will get him into trouble IC wise.

"Abuse of AI to insult people IC in Vox"

So to give context, the AI was on crewsimov, meaning that any crew member is allowed to use law 2. I wanted to speak in Vox to my other Vox players and friends, the translator was on so I said turn it off, it later became a tug of war from the crew that did want translator, and Vox players and others that did not want translator. Firstly I was not the only person to participate in this "law abuse", there's a reason why AI modules have flaws that can be exploited, that's kind of what makes them different and unique, I'm allowed to use law 2 as long as I want (as long as I'm not breaking any rules which I didn't) and the same can be said for any other crew member because crewsimov makes all voices equal. There was law 2 abuse from the entire crew (not just me) then it should be commands job to change its law-set to something they have more control on (NT default) me telling the AI to turn off translator is an IC issue, that could have been easily resolved if command was noticing the situation and abuse from the crew. And also the insults I made on comms was really really tame, at most I said I did not like Tetra (I actually do <3) because they were processing me in a cell and nobody likes to be confined IC wise, the Omar stuff I already said I'm not gonna repeat it again. There's prob more stuff I said that I can easily justify saying but these threads seem to get locked quickly so my main point is, it was an obvious IC issue that really had no point in being slapped on to the ban. It's also not fair to say I was the only person using the AIs laws to make insults, other crew members were saying to keep it on and off that was not solely me. Even Kyet IC said the crew was abusing the AI:

c5aba5fcd0ecd554093909d10987bfa1.png

"General Grey Tiding"

To give more context to the situation, we were on green for a good 50 mins of the round. Nothing was happening and people were talking on comms, I've already explained how Omar insulted me on comms and how the situation escalated and their history with the Vox so I wont explain it again. I already explained how the crew started a tug of war the translator so I won't explain it again either. And lastly, I already told you I made one Unathi insult on comms  So I'm more wondering "what" I did that was grey tiding, I was a scientist that managed to get illegals 4 and a bunch of other techs one minute into the round so I already did a good contribution to my department, so I'm really interested to hear what other grey tiding things I did because it seems like grey tide can be used a general term for anything. Still, if I can hear more about this that would be great but I've already explained my defense on the other stuff so if this was the only stuff that can be linked to the grey tide claim I disagree with it.

"Final Thoughts"

I really don't believe I've done anything wrong, a lot of this stuff could have been solved IC wise and I have the main concern I want to mention, the ban was instant, no warning, no bwoink, no PM from any administrator. The fact that I was banned for something that isn't against the rules and it being so sudden really didn't sit with me well. I'm a person who enjoys this community, its player base, and SS13 in general. I'm not on any level equivalent to the same people who shuttle spawn toolbox someone in their first hour. So the fact that I was not messaged about this in-game, and the fact that I didn't really break any rules or go against the admins request for me to tone it down, and that a bunch of other stuff got slapped on because the ladder really felt flimsy for a ban, didn't seem fair and just felt odd to me. Overall I just want to get unbanned and keep playing my favorite game with my friends and point out how this banned felt unjust and sudden and context was ignored with what felt like no admin investigation that all could have been easily solved in character.

Thank you for reading. And skrektastic.

2 hours ago, Octus said:

the original ban was because of one comment

I'd like to jump to address this first of all. This misses the point entirely. The ban appears to be for a series of related incidents that you have previously been warned about. 

You also seem to miss the point about specieism. Just because it's allowed, doesn't mean it's a free pass to be an asshole as long as it's against another species. Neither is your character having "anger issues" a free pass to act differently. "It's what my character would do" is one of the worst things any player in an RPG can say right before they be an asshole to other players.

Screaming for genocide against your coworkers is completely over the top. This isn't a nuanced look into a character with deep flaws that are expressed in interesting ways - this is you finding an excuse to play a character who is an asshole to others. You're the one who has chosen to make this character and enjoys playing them. And yes, while a certain degree of assholedom is expected between coworkers (Like in any real world workplace), you're calling for your coworkers to be murdered, and engaging in violence sometimes yourself.

Hence you were told to tone it down - because this is clearly a disruptive character. 

Rules were broken here, you were told by and admin to tone down the speciesm for a start. There is a whole shade of nuance to explore between "snide comments", "subtle discrimination" and "calls for genocide" if you want to explore an interestingly flawed character.

The other rule of course is the ever popular rule 0. You're clearly playing a character who is active in their dickishness. A certain IC level of dickishness is generally expected, but in this case it got to the point an admin had to tell you to tone it down. From how you continued to act and how little attention this warning was given in this complaint shows me you're not really taking it seriously, and that's generally when bans come into play. How quickly this happens generally depends on the past history of the player, and yours is one that makes you a high maintenance player. In this case, it's SoP that admins are quicker to ban.

Overall, your play style has gotten to the point where you're considered to be a consistent net negative. I've looked over some of the logs from your time and I have to say I agree - your play style is antagonistic towards the other crew, and the constant "skree" and "skrek" in all caps is just obnoxious. 

Given the above, I see no issue with the ban itself - you were warned to tone down your behavior and did not. Complaint is without merit.

• Esenno changed the title to Esseno Ban Complaint

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use