Why is mechanic job so expensive?

Skegal

Hello fellow  irradiated spess men.
i totally dont get why mechanic is 30KP when you have a brig physicisian at 5 only which is literally a personal doctor for security and mechanics, well, they just do space pods, repair pods and thats all folks.

Can someone enlight me about this?

The topic of mechanic was actually talked about in the last community meeting and yeah I doubt anyone thinks the price is fair compared to what You can do, and that's on top of no engineering or EVA access, I don't think anything changed since then regarding mechanic but i assume there are more important things  to take care of rather than a role you can play voluntarily, things that affect many more people at once so the mechanic players have to just wait...or not, I don't speak for coding people...

58 minutes ago, Meow19 said:

The topic of mechanic was actually talked about in the last community meeting and yeah I doubt anyone thinks the price is fair compared to what You can do, and that's on top of no engineering or EVA access, I don't think anything changed since then regarding mechanic but i assume there are more important things  to take care of rather than a role you can play voluntarily, things that affect many more people at once so the mechanic players have to just wait...or not, I don't speak for coding people...

Oh ok nice, yes there is more important things to take care before. I still hope the cost will be reduced lol.

Edited by Skegal

Probably because you can get lots of loot from playing it. As for EVA/engineering access most HoPs will just give you it with out question and if you need anything from engineering more often than not they'll help you out.

There's certainly a bit of a disparity between the cost/complexity of the job. All the time, I see the job boil down to just building a space pod for yourself then flying around space till you find something. Even then, most of the loot you find is contraband and can't even be used by non-antags. Which is where the other side of the issue comes in. Mechanic is a VERY powerful antag. You get access to off station locations to hide or collect loot, have easy access to space and all locations connecting to space, and can essentially vanish after completing your objectives if security is after you. So essentially, mechanic is near useless to the crew but powerful as an antag. I think that's where most of the pricing comes in.

• Thanks 1
  • stunbaton 1

19 hours ago, Skegal said:

Hello fellow  irradiated spess men.
i totally dont get why mechanic is 30KP when you have a brig physicisian at 5 only which is literally a personal doctor for security and mechanics, well, they just do space pods, repair pods and thats all folks.

Can someone enlight me about this?

There is really no good reason. I have been considering making them a job anyone can take - removing their karma lock and refunding anyone who bought them.

On 8/14/2020 at 1:37 AM, Veterankyl said:

There's certainly a bit of a disparity between the cost/complexity of the job. All the time, I see the job boil down to just building a space pod for yourself then flying around space till you find something. Even then, most of the loot you find is contraband and can't even be used by non-antags. Which is where the other side of the issue comes in. Mechanic is a VERY powerful antag. You get access to off station locations to hide or collect loot, have easy access to space and all locations connecting to space, and can essentially vanish after completing your objectives if security is after you. So essentially, mechanic is near useless to the crew but powerful as an antag. I think that's where most of the pricing comes in.

Yeah that's a justification acceptable, a better justificaton than Esenno said (personally, considering the fact that you can easily EVA the ghetto way) you got a big point, even if you can do the same as explorer but its harder as explorer when you dont have a mechanic available to build you a pod. (sorry if i express myself very badly, im not sure what i said is clear)

• 8 months later...

Yes mechanic job is very expensive.

Everytime I bring my car to a mechanic they rip me off hard. Last week I went for an oil change and for an estimate of changing the brakes and I still had to pay $841.

This is outrageus. 

• Like 2
  • clown 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use