name review

ACrazykiwi

Byond Key: ACrazyKiwi

IC Name for Review: BEEP

Race: Human

Is this a Mime or Clown Job Name? No

Reason/Backstory: Im just a human who likes to dress up like a borg and just do my job a little different but still get the job done the only person i im limiting is myself trying to teach myself to use more hotkeys and emotes. beep is just a fun RP of beeping to people and them beeping back and trying to do the right thing

i understand being held to a point of realism but on that same round i  saw the cap riding a mini IAN as a steed dreamseeker_siyV83S3Z3.png 

I was the admin who informed you of the name rules. Frankly, I still do not see why it should be allowed or accepted as

1) You are joining as a Human, with the name BEEP in all caps.

2) You put on cardboard cyborg stuff

3) You run around the station, doing nothing but saying "Beep" everytime someone talks to you and constantly breaking into robotics.

Regarding Roleplaying:

Paradise Station is a Medium Roleplaying Server. This means that we do not expect players to completely and absolutely immerse themselves in the universe of the game. However, we still expect players to act in-character at all times, in a manner befitting the overall scenario: that of working aboard a high-tech research space station owned by a Galactic MegaCorp with dubious moral standards.

Administrators may ask you to change your behavior if it is seen by the Server Staff as damaging the IC atmosphere of the server. Examples include, but are not limited to: references to memes or real life events, full reference characters (such as a Diona named Groot who says nothing but "I am Groot"), or an excessive amount of unserious, out-of-universe behavior in an IC context (with the obvious exception of the Clown and Mime).

Regarding Non-Serious and/or Improper character names:

Your character is an employee of a powerful corporation serving on a cutting edge space station. Names should be context appropriate and support appropriate role-play. The clown will have considerably more freedom of "meme" naming then the captain. Failing to adhere to these standards will result to either IC or OOC consequences (including changing the name) depending on play history, severity, subjective quality of role play (with a preference on "medium") and OOC factors.

If you think a name should be allowed that an admins thinks of otherwise, this can be sent for review. However, until the review is finalized, the decision of the admin at the time remains.

Intent: RP is what makes SS13 more than just a game of clicking people until they go horizontal. The roleplay standards of paradise are what makes it the place it is, beyond the code and the map.

The original “Medium RP” intent was devised upon creation, as being a middle ground between the “HRP” of Bay12 and the “LRP” of Goon. The roleplay should be taken seriously, but not overly so, nor should you be elitist with your roleplay.

You are expected to roleplay within the universe the lore has established. You’re playing as someone who has either been hired by NT, or permitted to visit one of their more advanced research facilities. We don’t expect you to know every detail of the lore - especially as it’s subject to change. Your character should be one who can conceivably exist within the setting. NT would not hire someone who never does their job properly, or is unable to pass a job interview.

The rules around names have changed over time. Right now the standard is that having unique names is highly encouraged. We want people to make their own characters, not just copy-paste someone from other media. However, being inspired by other media (Especially sci-fi) is quite understandable and enjoyable, but the character should be a unique personality, not just a character from another media “in space”. IRL figures (Barrack Obama, Betty White, etc) are not to be used at all.

Names should be appropriate for the species. A human being named "Bob Smith" is fine. A diona being named "Flight of A Thousand Flowers" is fine. A character with a name from another species should have a backstory to explain this.

Your name represents the name NT hired you under. This means you should not have titles like "Doctor", and should likely include a last name, not just a description like "Grunt".

Especially “memey” names, or IRL references, can very much break immersion.

Edited by Abydos

Ok fair point i understand where you are coming from by why single me out when everyone else is doing weirder stuff what makes what im doing more wrong than them?

and in rebuttal of your points 

1. Ive heard of people with stranger name than that

2. why have the suits there if you don't want people to use it

3. I usually just do cargo moving boxes and when people ask for stuff they shouldn't have ill usually give them a piece of paper with declined stamped on it.

I was running cargo by myself that night i got told off and the only reason i was in robotics was because the A.I told me to go there for a law change and even opened the doors for me.

And those people are dealt with when seen / noticed / reported to the staff. An IPC named Beep? Sure. A human named Beep, running around wearing cyborg stuff, saying beep all the time? No.

Having an “insane” character does not change anything. If it’s not permissible normally, saying you are “insane” does not make for justification. Employees should be reasonably able to pass a psych eval. Additionally, acting violent or “lolrandom” because you are “insane” is an incredibly unrealistic and frankly offensive view of mental health.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use