How would you redesign your department?

Warriorstar

I spend a lot of time in cargo, and especially in highpop rounds, it can get pretty messy and crowded. There's also a bunch of things I think are unnecessarily inefficient. I've thought about improvements that could be made without a major redesign of the map or station.

1. The autolathe conveyor. I make it nearly every shift and it's such a better layout than the default.

2. Move the shuttle console to the docking hatches. I think the supply shuttle is the only one that can't be controlled from the same place it docks.

3. A new, separate maint lane for the MULEs. Anything that would keep them from going out the two sets of front airlocks and getting in the way.

4. The QM's office is open to the cargo lobby and a bit of the hallway, and it has no shutters to block things out. I'd at least add shutters, and maybe move the office further back into cargo to get it away from a fairly high traffic hallway.

5. No one ever uses the "mailing room" and its front desk for anything, so I'd move the package delivery stuff into the bay, with an exclusive disposals chute. I'd use the space to crate an exclusive area for picking up and dropping off crates.

6. Give the disposals chute a direct and one-way airlock into the hallway, so people who go down disposals don't hang around in cargo and get stuck.

7. Make the warehouse clean and well lit by default.

8. Move the ORM closer to the mining bay so miners don't have to drag their ore boxes through the rest of the department.

What would you do with your favorite department?

Edited by Warriorstar
  • Like 2

8. Move the ORM closer to the mining bay so miners don't have to drag their ore boxes through the rest of the department.

Yeah miners and cargo techs are probably annoying each other, if we removed qm's office and put the ORM somewhere in place of where his consoles used to be, so miners can access it without going through cargo but also outsiders can take items out of it then I see that as a win!

I feel like many departments machine/object placements are sub-optimal for the purpose of players each shift having the possibility to use their creativity and rebuild in the ways they like it but it's just a theory.

But yeah You got some good points, especially with mail office being barely used especially its right side.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've been thinking about ways to redesign or improve the station lately, so I figured I would add my thoughts regarding department upgrades.

For Botany, the biggest simple improvement would be adding a chem dispenser.   You go through so much unstable mutagen as a dedicated plant mad scientist that it is ridiculous to keep bugging the chemist for buckets of the stuff.  The most common work-around is taking one of the dispensers out of the Science dept, which solves the problem for botany at the expense of SciChem.   Or you take the slow route of fertilzer-based mutation while waiting for R&D to provide a circuitboard to Engineering, so they can build a new dispenser for your dept, if you want to maximize cross-dept interactions.  I think it would be better if Botany had its own dispenser at round start.   

Ideally, it would be the custom botany-chems-only dispenser, like the one that spawns in the diona lab on Lavaland  (Lifebringer/Living Terrarium).  It provides plant chems, like salt petre, ammonia, and unstable mutagen, instead of all the basic elements.   It would make sense in a botany lab and provide everything you need to do your job really well, but would not be as versatile as a standard chem dispenser.  This might also encourage more people to explore the chemistry of plants, since they can't easily get at basic elements using the chem dispenser.  And it might inspire people to play around with some of the other "plant chems" that are rarely used. 

Medsci remap but actually merged. 

Brig is fine. 

• Like 1

There's a perfectly fine morgue in medical and antags should have a chance to come back. If you need them gone gone, cremate the corpse. 

I always redesign robotics to suit my needs. 

pTIgsHg.thumb.png.50be567e7a68b8f1339639a3b6fd03f0.png

However, I sort of like that many roboticists redesign robotics when they take the role, and even combine their designs with each other if two veterans are working it. I wouldn't change much about the current default map, personally. 

Edited by Spacemanspark
  • Like 1

I have a few issues with that OR setup from both a sanitary perspective and a game play (antag) perspective.

On the other hand the symmetry (minus that damn trashcan) sings to me.

Remodeling is a good chunk of the joy in a shift.

Sadly, I dont have any screenshots of my remodels, time to speedrun that.

But for now, fuck this.

cargobelts.PNG

• angryeyes 1
  • clown 2

1 hour ago, DevL said:

Remodeling is a good chunk of the joy in a shift.

Sadly, I dont have any screenshots of my remodels, time to speedrun that.

But for now, fuck this.

cargobelts.PNG

I can appreciate this level of evil, even if it hurts me on a spiritual level. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use