Abydos2: Warn for something I said I was going to do

Billy Banderson

Admin(s) Key: Abydos2 @Abydos
Your ckey (Byond username): jColborn

Date(s) of incident (GMT preferred): 6/23/2020 1:00 AM GMT

Nature of complaint: misapplication of rules
(Select all that apply: EG - clarification required, misapplication of rules, misconduct, abuse of powers, feedback, other)
Links to all relevant ban appeals for any bans related to this complaint:

Brief description: Abydos claimed that I broke my cyborg laws when it's quite clear that I hadn't. They warned me for something that I said I was going to do in the future, while there was evidence that I wasn't going to and was lying.

Less brief description:

1) Tell perma prisoner I'll give them freedom if they pay me

2) Ask how much money perma prisoner has

3) Request perma prisoner's account number and PIN for confirmation

4) Leave perma and never speak with the prisoner again

5) Profit get warned and told off by an admin

Full description of events:

As a cyborg, I had just obtained the captain's account number, and set about making money for them as I was on a Corporate Lawset. I informed the AI that I was going to "attempt to scam the perma prisoners into giving it(me) their account details" and proceeded to go into perma. I found the prisoner, and they asked "Are you here to rescue me?", which I responded by saying "This unit is willing to give you freedom for credits". The prisoner gave me their account details, and I left perma and attempted to access an ATM. However, I got this error: Artificial unit recognized. Artificial units do not currently receive monetary compensation, as per Nanotrasen regulation #1005. I wouldn't be in violation of this because I intended to get the money to the captain. I then went to the captain and the following exchange occured: 

CorpoR.A.I.t whispers quietly, "This unit has aquired $3900 for you"

CorpoR.A.I.t whispers softly, "It is in Account #690377, PIN 6508"

CorpoR.A.I.t whispers softly, "This unit is unable to use ATMs its self, so you must take it"

Admin exchange: 

AbydosSit1.thumb.PNG.23d0239cc4f3cc30f31648e59f21b146.PNG

AbydosSit2.thumb.PNG.7a697e8079679c7e2d101cfcd3f754dc.PNG

Follow-up: Abydos warned me because they believe that telling an EoC that you will break them out in private, with only the borg and AI knowing about it, somehow disrupts security. This makes no sense at all. If the warning was because you believed that I was indeed going to follow up and release the prisoner, then there is evidence that I never intended to do so as I am not required to keep promises, and after acquiring the money releasing the prisoner would not increase profits. Abydos ignored my request to check synthetic chat logs, and therefor missed out on important details and evidence.

Also, calling my decently thought out and perfectly executed scam a joke? Rude 😞

Edited by Billy Banderson

Hi there, and thanks for posting this as I see there's some confusion.

I've talked with Aby about this, and it seems his intent was to warn you not to break your laws (Eg, don't release people from perma), as a reminder that it's against your laws. He also didn't see the binary chat with the AI when talking to you (as it doesn't show up in the regular say log checks), so from appearances of just your regular chat it looked like you were going to release them, and he warned you not to do so.

That's not to say you were breaking your laws by scamming them - a hilarious idea if I may say so myself. The notes make it clear that you weren't actually releasing them and said you were just scamming them. It's totally ok for a corporate borg to scam perma prisoners out of their hard earned cash.

As a side note/technicality, and for clarifications sake - being an EOC doesn't make you not station crew, it's being fired that makes you not station crew. While most EOCs in perma *should* be fired and not crew, as a borg you have to treat them as crew until they're fired - so if you confirm they're an EOC in the middle of maint, you still have to treat them as crew.

All in all this seems just a bit of a misunderstanding between the two of you, so I'll leave this open for now so we can further clear up if there were any other misunderstandings or in case there's points I missed.

I'm not sure how warnings work. If its part of my permanent record this is a problem,as in the in-game conversation he said it was for breaking laws. If it's just a reminder, then I'm alright with it. 

Also, I'm pretty sure he saw my message with the chat log(?) showing that I told the AI that I was going to scam the prisoners, because he started typing on it, but then I guess he ignored the messages for a while (10min+) until I opened a new admin ticket where he told me the warning sticks. Not cool man

Edited by Billy Banderson

There's no specific way warnings work - they aren't really policy to the extent you get (X) number of warnings or anything like that. In this case, it wasn't that you were warned FOR breaking your laws, just warned not TO break your laws - in the same way I could warn you right to make sure to stretch every hour or so to avoid cramps. 

In this case it looks like what you were doing *could* lead to a problem, not that what you were doing was a problem.

From talking to Aby it seems that your case wasn't the only one going on and was lower priority, hence the delays in reply.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use