ImmortalRedshirt Tries an Art

ImmortalRedshirt

Let me preface this by saying that drawing like this is an entirely new area for me and I've never really put much of an effort into any other drawing before. Perspective, shading, all of that? No idea how to nail it right.

With that out of the way, this is what I have done. I thought to myself, "What can I draw? There is no way I can draw people yet, but I want to be able to put my own spin on it." That's when it hit me.

I'm no stranger to nitpicking the design of the welder in this game. This is not to criticize the spriter, they did pretty good and it looks just right. It's just that...it's a cutting torch. So I decided to create my own interpretation, and I will now explain it because some of you may be trying to figure out how to interpret whatever the heck I just scribbled. The welder itself is a mixture of a MIG welder and cutting torch. It is then connected to a wheel of wirefeed, which is used in MIG welding to provide filler metal for the joint. Of course, the filler needs a shielding gas to protect it from that nasty oxygen, otherwise it will be too weak once it cools off. The welding fuel tank attached to the wire feed drum serves this purpose, but it also can be used for cutting. The user switches between the two modes by pushing the Nanotrasen logo on the side up or down. In Welding mode, the fuel is redirected into a chamber where a focused beam and some space magic turns it into a shielding gas for the wirefeed.

Also, I do not have a pen, I do not have better paper. Just letting you all know.

Anyway, onto the art. Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair.

Spoiler

Like I said, this is all entirely new to me and I genuinely have no clue how to do much of anything related to drawing

So please, if you have feedback, I want it.

Edited by ImmortalRedshirt
  • Like 6
  • fastparrot 2

I admit, this prompted me to look up how MIG welding works. I never realized how inaccurate SS13's depiction of welding was until now.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:02 PM, ImmortalRedshirt said:

So please, if you have feedback, I want it.

Alright, I'm responding specifically because you solicited advice here.

On 6/20/2020 at 3:02 PM, ImmortalRedshirt said:

Also, I do not have a pen, I do not have better paper. Just letting you all know.

If you do want to get better, my very first piece of advice would be to figure out a way to fix this. I know with social distancing rules it definitely doesn't make sense to pick up a sketchpad at this particular moment, but whenever you're comfortable, the way to become better is to just have a sketchbook out and to be working on it.

I'm definitely not an elitist about art materials, and I think most artists aren't: I use standard school pencils for most of my sketching. That said, I still recommend against lined paper and newsprint paper as they're expressly made to be cheap and thin. It's not just that the lines are a bit distracting: sheets of paper have an upper limit on how much sketching they can take before the page begins warping, and since lined paper is designed to be thin and cheap it's usually not sturdy enough to hold a detailed pencil drawing without warping the image. Your sketch of this welder is fairly straightforward, yet I can already see the paper beginning to get crinkled. That isn't your fault: that's because lined paper is extremely thin and warps too easily.

As for becoming "better" in the sense of linework, technique, proportion, etc... the best I can recommend is practice. There's no substitute for that. Practice sketching everywhere, all the time. Practice during short breaks, practice when you're bored, practice when you're procrastinating from more important work. I could try to provide pointers on style or technique, but practice is really the way all of that stuff develops in the first place.

Edited by Machofish
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here we go again. I have gotten better paper and I tried drawing a person. Really, I wouldnt've known the proportions if not for this helpful thread. Maybe I'll try and make someone other than "nondescript tall boi" some other time. Once again, sorry for bad photo quality, and also once again, if you have feedback, I want it, so much.

Spoiler

Edit: And I have given them more lines! But we can see the skeleton within aaaaaaaaaaa

Spoiler

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, back again with some more practice under the belt.

First is a miner. Tried a different style for this, feels easier and is kind of cute.

This next one is a RIG/hardsuit helmet. I really love the design, and tried to do some shading and perspective tricks with it.

I really don't know where to go from here. Send help and advice, please.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well, about time I tried to draw something with a bit of a story behind it.

For context, I was the CMO, and one of my surgeons, Ezaera King, declared that he had implants available. I know I didn't need them, but I also got the feeling that there might be something suspicious about them. Ever the "fun"-seeker, I decided to let myself get implanted. To no one's surprise, it seemed he had got his delivery mixed up and injected a mindslave implant instead(in case it wasn't obvious, they were a traitor from the start.) He tried to get me to bring the Captain in to do the same procedure, but he forgot too late that the Captain has a mindshield.

New additions include depth/layers and my crappy handwriting! Also, the hands...

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use