protagonists, skeptics and anti-changeling ert

Nukechicken

this is more of a "wouldn't it be cool if" suggestion than an actual thing that would keep the game as balanced as it is today, so i unrecommend actually adding it (good job to whoever kept paradise so balanced by the way)

i was doing my job while thinking of stuff that would be cool to be in paradise and i came upon the idea "what if paradise station had protagonists" 

the protagonists idea is security members will be "overambitious" and try to do specific things that are against space laws, aka corrupt cops basically, the overambitious detective could have a objective to frame someone and get them permabrigged (probably by using evidence from actual confirmed syndies), giving iaa and magistrate an actually exciting role to play, trying to determine if evidence was faked or not

the skeptics idea is basically random people who are or are not targeted by antagonists(i feel like it should be a 4/5 chance that the player is actually targeted) the feeling that they are being watched and given objectives to gather armor and weaponry, this creates a more exciting round for antags, i find it boring when i can kill someone as an antag without being apposed much

i have a general ert update, what if erts had objectives that are akin to basically collecting taxes, since this s a research station after all, erts can collect bodies of changelings, shadowlings, vampires, ect to bring back to the NAS trurl for later research, when the station isn't being influenced by anything, and changeling erts can be added, cause if the changeling is robust enough, they could wipe out the entire station, if they're allowed to anyways, these erts could have multiple stun weapons, katanas for slicing heads off quickly, and charcoal bottles to reduce sting affection time, hot chocalate to reduce effectiveness of cryo sting

hey heres a funny joke, therapist ert, for when mindslaves become too much

I do like these ideas, but as is the most common killer of new roles, there’s the potential of self-antaging. If a ‘protagonist’ is given permission to act outside of space law, what are the limits and how far is too far? What’s to stop them from killing suspects outright? With ‘skeptics’ you got the issue of people stealing important equipment for departments, especially taking weapons from security or research machines from science. 
In general, I think these would be better as admin made roles with people who understand the bounds of their role. I wouldn’t trust people with these roles as random antags.

Security has far too many problems as is without features that intentionally hinder them further. It's the same reason we don't have security antagonists. 

'Protagonist' is also a term that should never be formally used within the game. 

There are no protagonists in this story. 

On 5/29/2020 at 8:55 PM, Nukechicken said:

the skeptics idea is basically random people who are or are not targeted by antagonists(i feel like it should be a 4/5 chance that the player is actually targeted) the feeling that they are being watched and given objectives to gather armor and weaponry, this creates a more exciting round for antags, i find it boring when i can kill someone as an antag without being apposed much

Skeptic doesn't really fit this; skepticism is when you're reluctant to believe something. 'Paranoid' would be a vastly better term. 

As for the idea, I really only see this leading to security being greytided, validhunting increasing, and more people grabbing the objective items and then sitting somewhere quiet the rest of the round. 

On the flip side, depending on chance ratios, people also running up to security to say they feel 'paranoid/ skeptic' and security deciding to take them into protection due to game mechanics knowledge.

On 5/29/2020 at 8:55 PM, Nukechicken said:

I have a general ert update, what if erts had objectives that are akin to basically collecting taxes, since this s a research station after all, erts can collect bodies of changelings, shadowlings, vampires, ect to bring back to the NAS trurl for later research, when the station isn't being influenced by anything, and changeling erts can be added, cause if the changeling is robust enough, they could wipe out the entire station, if they're allowed to anyways, these erts could have multiple stun weapons, katanas for slicing heads off quickly, and charcoal bottles to reduce sting affection time, hot chocalate to reduce effectiveness of cryo sting

Making ERT more annoying to deal with means that less players will try to utilize the feature--I don't see what making them tax collectors does to make them better overall. As for the changeling idea... that's more than a bit much. Making them overpowered hunters dedicated towards one antag type doesn't really make sense. If administrators feel the need, they can always buff regular ERT equipment before sending them away. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use