AFK Cryo Timers

TheDroppedFry

Hello.

I am new to this server, but I am already invested in it because the playerbase is dedicated to actually keeping the space station maintained and communicating, not acting like half-evolved monkeys.

However, one problem I have is that going AFK for a bit too long means you get sent to a Cryo chamber, which I think is a great idea for ensuring that AFK people can't be taken advantage of. Furthermore, I think that despawning after further AFK time is also a good idea for players that are hogging a job occupation and going AFK.

However, the despawn timer is WAY too quick. I was gone for like 20 minutes, and I've been told that you get put into Cryo for being AFK for like 15 minutes, which means that the Cryo chamber despawns you very quickly if you don't get out of being AFK very quickly. I think that, considering how the average round is 2 hours and 5 minutes, the cryo timer should be FAR longer before despawning, preferable between 35 minutes to an hour, if not more.

The only reason I suggest this is because I have somewhat spotty internet, and sometimes I may be in the middle of the game when the internet goes out temporarily or I get disconnected, or I have to go do a quick errand after just joining into a game. Getting despawned and having to wait 2 hours just to play again is not fun.

I hope you take my suggestion into consideration, and I would assume that doing this wouldn't be too difficult for the coders, since it's an already-existing feature where the timer can be tweaked very easily.

Thank you for reading.

well think of it like this, the normal round lasts 2 hours, normally less. if you're afk for 20 mins than means you're gone for almost 1/4th of a round, if you're a role that there are not many slots open for such as robotics, genetics, the cook, viro, detective, chaplain, you get the idea, then that means you just ate up 1/4th of a round by standing there or being ssd and no one could take that role, but if you are moved into cryo then that role is now open for someone who joins to play the full remainder of the round

When you're disconnected from the game, you're SSD, not AFK. So this is really about auto-cryo for people who're disconnected from the game - not simply AFK.

If your internet dies for 30+ minutes, and you come back to find yourself a ghost, simply ahelp it. We'll likely send you back to lobby so you can rejoin. There are also ghost roles that you can join with.

The vast majority of people who disconnect from the game for 15+ minutes have no intention of coming back. Often, those players are in important roles, like Engineering/Sec during blob, Chaplain during cult/vampire, RD during malf AI, etc. The longer we wait to remove them from the round, the longer the station is short a critical person during an emergency. Cult/Vampire rounds, for example, account for the Chaplain in their balance. If the timer was increased to 30 or 60 minutes, there would be a lot of rounds with a SSD chaplain which basically throws the entire round to the cult/vampires because the Chaplain was not cryoed in a timely fashion.

Ultimately its a question of balancing your wants against the wants of the larger crew (who want, say, a Chaplain to be awake during vampire/cult, eng/sec to be awake during blob, etc). We're seeking to go with what is best for the majority here.

More generally, SS13 is an online multiplayer game. For an online multiplayer game, a 15 minute timeout window is actually quite generous. Most of the online games I play will remove you if you are disconnected for 1 minute or less. We already give you a lot more time than most games do.

• Like 1

Did not know about that, thanks Kyet.

34 minutes ago, Kyet said:

When you're disconnected from the game, you're SSD, not AFK. So this is really about auto-cryo for people who're disconnected from the game - not simply AFK.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use