Admin Complaint

RadiantFlash

Admin(s) Key: Unknown: Special Operations Officer Jack Olphert (presumably admin who made the call)
Your ckey (Byond username):RadiantFlash
Your Discord name (if applicable): RadiantFlash

Date(s) of incident (GMT preferred):April 20th, 2020

Nature of complaint:abuse of powers/feedback.

Links to all relevant ban appeals for any bans related to this complaint: N/A

Brief description (tl;dr here. Just the critical elements): Security was worse then usual on this particular shift, with one officer beating someone in a cell (fired near start of shift) , and the warden and 2 officers executing perma prisoners. This resounded in central command firing every single security personnel member, except for the head of security and Magistrate. Eventually ERT replaced security, and due to general discontent/disobedience by some general crew, a Deathsquad was sent in.

Full description of events:Normal shift, with several traitors captured. Security was a bit incompetent, in particular, the warden. The head of security was doing their best, fired an officer who beat someone in a cell needlessly. By 1:30, there was 6 crew members in perma, a few who made a couple escape attempts. 
I do not know who exactly made the attempts, or whether they warranted lethal force, but at the end of the matter, the warden and atleast two other officers ended up executing++cremating the perma prisoners.
In response to this, central command ordered all of security except the head of security, and Magistrate fired. And then sent an ERT to ensure this was done, despite the fact that to my knowledge, most of the security officers this shift were not involved, and were out of the brig at the time the incident occurred.
I take issue with this, because a similar matter came up within the Server Discord a few days ago, between Abby, Spark, and I believe Kiyaka, over engineering being defunded including atmospherics techs, despite atmos having nothing to do with the reason it occurred.
A big point in the staff's decision in that case, was that the crew wasn't actually fired at the time.
 I understand that Nanotrasen is meant to be a shady company lorely, but this felt vaguely too far in central commands actions, and more or less cut anyone who was doing everything they were supposed to in their job as security out of anything to do for the rest of the shift oocly. A kind of, Spend an hour invested time into a round, and now we're cutting you out of the round for doing what your supposed to be doing.
Central command also ensured there would be no protest to such orders, upon the ERT encountering some resistance from the crew, and a mutiny?(I'm still not sure how much a mutiny there actually was, aside from one loud mouth IAA and a few people protesting in front of thebridge) just sent a deathsquad to kill all crew that were not ERT.

This entire situation could have been avoided, had the admins as central just demoted the 3-4 people responsible, and left it at that. Instead an entire department got cut out of the round more or less, along with everyone on station being killed by deathsquad/nuclear fire.

34 minutes ago, RadiantFlash said:

I take issue with this, because a similar matter came up within the Server Discord a few days ago, between Abby, Spark, and I believe Kiyaka, over engineering being defunded including atmospherics techs, despite atmos having nothing to do with the reason it occurred.

I have no idea why I was named within this complaint, but to clarify this information right here;

During that round, the Engineering department was terrible. They had caused the engine to be released twice, nearly three times in this order:

1) An engineer had set all the SMES to full input and full output, meaning the engine SMES weren't getting enough power to power the emitters, coupled with a PA that was left on 0. This led to the engine going down to stage 1, all the power being sucked by the grid SMES and the emitters not firing. Engine was released.

An announcement was sent out regarding this.

2) They fixed this issue, but still left the PA on 0. Engine went back down to stage 1, no power, emitters stopped firing, engine is released. At the same time, Atmospheric was being noticed because they had removed all the equipment out of their area (deconstructed it) and drew a boat in wiring.

A second announcement was sent out, about the engine again and atmospheric. As both seemed to be unwilling to take the matter seriously, they were told that their accounts would be suspended (Only money) until issues were fixed.

3) They finally got the right engine, but the CE had left the PA on 2, when the Engine was at stage 3. I personally stepped in at this point and set the PA to 1. This was about the time, the CE and Engineer were asking for pay back. Given that the fault had to be fixed multiple times and an admin had to fix the problem themselves, they were informed that pay would not be given back and to continue working without pay.

The CE attempted to lead a strike, twice, regarding this and was fired by Central Command. Others acted in an OOC manner (Mainly on discord) as if I had personally murdered their characters, because "I had nothing to do with that situation, I was atmospherics / doing my own thing" when, if a huge matter is happening in Engineering, people should step up to the plate to fix the issue and not stand there, pointing fingers at one area of their department going "We got nothing to do with them, punish them, not us". The punishment (Money accounts suspended) was given to the whole engineering department.

As I had said on discord

Engineering was given a unique form of punishment instead of a standard one, having their pay docked, taken away for their failure at upholding standards. It didn't matter if Atmospherics had nothing to do with it, it didn't matter if the engineers just sitting in a box all day, had nothing to do with it. EVERYONE under Engineering was subjected to the same punishment, pay was docked and accounts suspended. You were not fired (Apart from CE, that was another matter), you were not killed, you were not ordered to be demoted, arrested or the like. You had your pay taken away.

They were not told they could not continue to play, nor were they taken out of the round. They had their pay docked for nearly releasing the engine three times and playing art gallery with their department.

7 minutes ago, Abydos said:

I have no idea why I was named within this complaint, but to clarify this information right here;

During that round, the Engineering department was terrible. They had caused the engine to be released twice, nearly three times in this order:

1) An engineer had set all the SMES to full input and full output, meaning the engine SMES weren't getting enough power to power the emitters, coupled with a PA that was left on 0. This led to the engine going down to stage 1, all the power being sucked by the grid SMES and the emitters not firing. Engine was released.

An announcement was sent out regarding this.

2) They fixed this issue, but still left the PA on 0. Engine went back down to stage 1, no power, emitters stopped firing, engine is released. At the same time, Atmospheric was being noticed because they had removed all the equipment out of their area (deconstructed it) and drew a boat in wiring.

A second announcement was sent out, about the engine again and atmospheric. As both seemed to be unwilling to take the matter seriously, they were told that their accounts would be suspended (Only money) until issues were fixed.

3) They finally got the right engine, but the CE had left the PA on 2, when the Engine was at stage 3. I personally stepped in at this point and set the PA to 1. This was about the time, the CE and Engineer were asking for pay back. Given that the fault had to be fixed multiple times and an admin had to fix the problem themselves, they were informed that pay would not be given back and to continue working without pay.

The CE attempted to lead a strike, twice, regarding this and was fired by Central Command. Others acted in an OOC manner (Mainly on discord) as if I had personally murdered their characters, because "I had nothing to do with that situation, I was atmospherics / doing my own thing" when, if a huge matter is happening in Engineering, people should step up to the plate to fix the issue and not stand there, pointing fingers at one area of their department going "We got nothing to do with them, punish them, not us". The punishment (Money accounts suspended) was given to the whole engineering department.

As I had said on discord

They were not told they could not continue to play, nor were they taken out of the round. They had their pay docked for nearly releasing the engine three times and playing art gallery with their department.

I briefly mentioned you, as it was a vaguely similar action taken by CC affecting an entire entire department, not too long ago. It was emphasized on discord by you and spark, that no one was taken out of the round, or fired in reference to Central commands actions.
The differance within this case, is that ended up actually happening, people who weren't responsible were fired from their jobs, and left to sit around as assistants. I am in no way intending to dispute, or start a discussion about that prior round, as I happen to agree with Central command's shady move, while still keeping people in the round to have fun.

Edited by RadiantFlash

Hey there, I was the admin who made the call to fire all of security, as I was the only one online at the time.

To give my side of the story, security had more or less been running poorly all shift, with there being multiple complaints regarding their behavior in both the brigging of a scientist, as well as permanently imprisoning two non-antag civillians over possession of the hand teleporter. Both I had chalked up to IC incidents with IC resolutions & moved on, but as the shift progressed the things quite obviously escalated. To jump to the important bits, ultimately 5 prisoners had ended up in perma, and there was a traitor with an access jammer/camera bug actively opening doors. Some prisoners attempted to escape, others did not, and all were mass executed & cremated against the magistrates orders. At no point during any of the described IC situations, before or after, were any rectifications by any officers attempted, no one tried to stop the illegal executions, no one tried to stop the cremations, no other officers stepped in when a scientist were being improperly brigged earlier in the shift. There were many, MANY instances throughout the whole shift where any officer could have stepped in and helped out to restore order. That, obviously hadn't been done, and it had gotten to the point where over half the department needed to be fired, so I made the call it be best to start over. I acknowledge there were some good officers on staff, but I A.) Did not have the time & manpower to actively go through 10 peoples logs & effectively take prompt IC action against what amounted to half the department, and B.) As stated above, believe that EVERYONE in the department was responsible for what occurred throughout the shift to some degree, as anyone could have attempted to fix the situations occurring within their own department & over radio.

As for the DS, it was sent after a hostile response to the Security ERT I sent, which was overseen by two other admins that had come as backup for me. It was an agreed upon response as to what had occurred during the round, given that there was a mutiny and that command, in general, were incapable of handling the station to any significant degree. Just to be clear, I did not fire security with the intent of sending a DS at the time, but rather it was an action taken based on general crew response to the situation, which I acknowledge was shitty all around for both admins & players.

2 minutes ago, Da Dman234 said:

Hey there, I was the admin who made the call to fire all of security, as I was the only one online at the time.

To give my side of the story, security had more or less been running poorly all shift, with there being multiple complaints regarding their behavior in both the brigging of a scientist, as well as permanently imprisoning two non-antag civillians over possession of the hand teleporter. Both I had chalked up to IC incidents with IC resolutions & moved on, but as the shift progressed the things quite obviously escalated. To jump to the important bits, ultimately 5 prisoners had ended up in perma, and there was a traitor with an access jammer/camera bug actively opening doors. Some prisoners attempted to escape, others did not, and all were mass executed & cremated against the magistrates orders. At no point during any of the described IC situations, before or after, were any rectifications by any officers attempted, no one tried to stop the illegal executions, no one tried to stop the cremations, no other officers stepped in when a scientist were being improperly brigged earlier in the shift. There were many, MANY instances throughout the whole shift where any officer could have stepped in and helped out to restore order. That, obviously hadn't been done, and it had gotten to the point where over half the department needed to be fired, so I made the call it be best to start over. I acknowledge there were some good officers on staff, but I A.) Did not have the time & manpower to actively go through 10 peoples logs & effectively take prompt IC action against what amounted to half the department, and B.) As stated above, believe that EVERYONE in the department was responsible for what occurred throughout the shift to some degree, as anyone could have attempted to fix the situations occurring within their own department & over radio.

As for the DS, it was sent after a hostile response to the Security ERT I sent, which was overseen by two other admins that had come as backup for me. It was an agreed upon response as to what had occurred during the round, given that there was a mutiny and that command, in general, were incapable of handling the station to any significant degree. Just to be clear, I did not fire security with the intent of sending a DS at the time, but rather it was an action taken based on general crew response to the situation, which I acknowledge was shitty all around for both admins & players.

I think, the main issue here, was that the situation going on in perma, was not communicated to the rest of security through the security channel.
Unless I completely somehow missed it, (In which case, my entire complaint is invalid and I apologize) Security officers can't really react to something they have no knowledge about.
I was under the impression the issues in question only came from the warden and two officers. If there was more then that, and I was not aware, then I guess thats again an issue with lack of communication on the security channel. (assuming I didn't just manage to miss it.)

If there was over half the department being an issue, then It's a lot more understandable to the fire it due to not being able to sort through all the problems, instead of just being 2-3 problem people.

Hi there, and thanks for submitting this. I've been getting a bit of a rundown on the whole shift from a few admins there and I'm fairly certain this was a massive clusterfuck.

When it comes to things like DS, I'm all for the occasional bit of crew slaughter. It can be quite fun for everyone if done right and not too often - I'm not too concerned about that happening. Everyone dying to the DS in nuclear fire - as long as it's not every round - is a cool event that breaks up the normal rounds. 

Engineering or the like being defunded is great and I'm all for. Considering crew pay means nothing, it's a good way to create some roleplay and the like - I'd be fine with the entire crew having their pay docked for the entire shift for bullshit reasons if it creates a great situation.

This was something agreed on by the admins on at the time - part of that was to just quickly wrap up and put the whole round behind them. I certainly understand that desire, and think it was a  good mood.

The only actual OOC punishments dished out were handled properly - possibly could have been a few more - and so the lasting effects of the round were only to those who had wrongdoing, with the rest of security (and command and even the clown) who were slaughtered by the DS and nuke being just a one round thing. I find that acceptable if done in moderation and being reserved for true clusterfucks of rounds like this one.

Ultimately I'm satisfied that there wasn't wrongdoing here by the admins, but I'll leave this open awhile to get further thoughts from you.

20 hours ago, necaladun said:

Hi there, and thanks for submitting this. I've been getting a bit of a rundown on the whole shift from a few admins there and I'm fairly certain this was a massive clusterfuck.

When it comes to things like DS, I'm all for the occasional bit of crew slaughter. It can be quite fun for everyone if done right and not too often - I'm not too concerned about that happening. Everyone dying to the DS in nuclear fire - as long as it's not every round - is a cool event that breaks up the normal rounds. 

Engineering or the like being defunded is great and I'm all for. Considering crew pay means nothing, it's a good way to create some roleplay and the like - I'd be fine with the entire crew having their pay docked for the entire shift for bullshit reasons if it creates a great situation.

This was something agreed on by the admins on at the time - part of that was to just quickly wrap up and put the whole round behind them. I certainly understand that desire, and think it was a  good mood.

The only actual OOC punishments dished out were handled properly - possibly could have been a few more - and so the lasting effects of the round were only to those who had wrongdoing, with the rest of security (and command and even the clown) who were slaughtered by the DS and nuke being just a one round thing. I find that acceptable if done in moderation and being reserved for true clusterfucks of rounds like this one.

Ultimately I'm satisfied that there wasn't wrongdoing here by the admins, but I'll leave this open awhile to get further thoughts from you.

Just wanted to say I'm pretty much satisified by the answer I recieved about why it happened.
Had I known, I wouldn't have made the report, but thats the limits of having IC perspective and all.
Thanks for looking into it, regardless ^^

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use