Rat (roleplay name)

LeechQueen

Byond Key: LeechQueen

IC Name for Review: Rat

Race: Human

Is this a Mime or Clown Job Name? No.

Reason/Backstory: Rat was born in a really bad area and left to fend for herself. Eventually started getting called 'Rat' after stealing and getting caught often, and believed that to be what and who she was. Managed to survive until adulthood and joined a Nanotrasen sponsored employment distribution, along with a lot of other scavengers and hobos. Most became assistants and so did Rat.

I really enjoyed roleplaying as Rat, and a lot of people seem to like the character. Rat will never be anything higher than a chef. I can stick a surname on if needed, but Rat would probably never understand that that's her name. I love her and don't want to shelf her, her name is one of the really awesome things about her.

You were told by a Head of Staff, you needed a first and last name.

You instead picked "Rat Rat" while wearing a rat mask.

Edited by Abydos

Yes? A first and last name, and Rat is, as told in my post, unknowing of any other suitable names for her. This is my last cry for the character, will not complain or anything anymore after this.

Regarding Non-Serious and/or Improper character names:

Your character is an employee of a powerful corporation serving on a cutting edge space station. Names should be context appropriate and support appropriate role-play. The clown will have considerably more freedom of "meme" naming then the captain. Failing to adhere to these standards will result to either IC or OOC consequences (including changing the name) depending on play history, severity, subjective quality of role play (with a preference on "medium") and OOC factors.

If you think a name should be allowed that an admins thinks of otherwise, this can be sent for review. However, until the review is finalized, the decision of the admin at the time remains.

Yes, I should have read that before changing it to Rat Rat, and it was kind of petty, but here is my review.

If you still think it's inappropriate, please tell me directly, I'm not very good at social cues.

Hi there, thanks for submitting this.

At first I thought this was just a meme name, but I see it's actually an attempt at RPing an interesting character, which I commend. It sounds like an interesting character!

The main issue I see here is how suitable it is for the RP environment we're aiming for - is this the type of person that NT would hire? Would we be happy with a large number of the crew like this?

In general that's a no, a kind of tragedy of the commons thing. If I were to say it's ok, then I'd have to be ok with the entire crew being along those lines - I can't make an exception for one person but not others. 

A name like "Rat Smith" would be absolutely fine. RP wise, I'd just imagine a frustrated HoP making up a name just so there's something in the computer for payroll records and all that. Don't feel obliged to go with smith, just something that is "normal"ish along those lines. Or hell, they may have even dug up old DNA records or the like, so you could go with John "Rat" Smith.

I'll leave this open so you can reply with what your thoughts and name suggestions.

Thanks for being understanding, and I understand the roleplay enviroment a bit more now. Will revise her character some other time, I got no clue on what I should remake her into.

Putting the "Rat" in the middle of the name is a great idea, but I don't think Rat would get employed by NT... she too stupid.

Thank you for taking this very calmly and bringing up ideas, got me thinking... and I'll unlock a new race soon, so might be able to make an entirely new character. Rat will be shelved, for now.

You can close this topic, I feel like it's been resolved. 😆

On 4/19/2020 at 8:50 AM, LeechQueen said:

but I don't think Rat would get employed by NT... she too stupid.

I just wanted to interject on this particular statement.

A character I very much enjoy hanging around and interacting with is played very simple, almost child like in intelligence. He plays rather non-complex roles such as Janitor, Chef, Bartender, or even just hangs around as an assistant/tourist and has made/had some very interesting stories because of this. So don't rule a character out just because they're simple.

Either way I'll look forward to seeing your new character or perhaps Rat (with an appropriate name of course) if you decide to take her off the shelf.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use