Flesh Out Forensics

Biolock

Hello gents, I use to be a long time CSI/detective on Aurora Station as well as Unbound (if anyone can even remember that far back) and they both used a code that really made the detective role feel unique and interesting to play. I was wondering if there was any reason we couldn't adopt some (if not all) of the code that Aurora currently uses for their forensic system. For those of you unfamiliar, the detective has a plethora of tools that allow him or her to analyze a crime scene ranging from a tool that lets them see cleaned up blood, to a fingerprint and fiber analyzer kit. I understand that a lot of that stuff is compacted into the vanilla forensic scanner we have now, but it's both incredibly un-interesting and ineffective. 

Also I'm sorry if this topic has been suggested already, I did quick search, but didn't see anything that spoke to this. I'm just surprised that nothing has been said about this.

• Like 2

the problem is in hrp servers the rounds are longer and things tend to happen slower, in a server like para 5 mins could make the difference between lets say.. mass arrest of a cult or summoning so detective doesn't really have time to do a full investigation. I wish detective had more stuff too but also it would almost never get used imo

• Like 1

Yeah I definitely see the validity of your statement, but Paradise rounds are actually pretty on par lengthwise with some higher roleplay servers; maybe a bit shorter, but nothing significantly. The forensic tools don't necessarily have to take much longer, I think the tools just offer the detective more things to do than just pray someone was dumb enough to not wear gloves when committing a crime.

Time is indeed a question, often there is not any. But I agree some extra mechanical tools - that would not instantly give the culprit away, but provide (some more) glimpses of information - would be cool, in case of sneaky antags and time. I could see it to be a benefit, in tension and RP, for both sec and a sneaky antag. More noir! 

Got to check out Aurora’s tools. Top of my head I’d think of possibility to extract samples from the crime scene that could be analyzed with a static machine later on. If you’re an officer at a murder scene, and the detective is unavailable, you’re quite out of luck analyzing the scene since you don’t have the scanner, as it is walking elsewhere. Then you got to take the victim to cloning, essentially losing the possibility to scan stuff from the scene as the victim starts walking again with their blood covered clothing. Similar case in thefts or other crimes reported in some specific area - if det is not available it’s quite a dead end. This also makes the job of detective, during lots of events happening, a job of running from place A to place B, with little time to ponder the non-obvious cases. If you could take, for example, samples off the scene, you could render them to the detective to be analyzed, or do the noir yourselves if there is time. Balance would have to be thought out, so that anything such would not be so ’instant confirmed name’ as with the fingerprints.

Edited by Regular Joe

• 1 month later...

The downside of this is anything that detracts from sec arresting and then processing prisoners leads to calls of shitcurity because someone arrested has to spend 20 minutes from getting cuffed to getting sentenced, and then whatever the punishment is. Giving more tools to the detective is a great idea and if their job becomes involved enough maybe even having a 2nd detective on station at 80+ population, but having all of sec play detective, or giving any excuse for the detective to act like security detracts from the uniqueness of the role.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use