Remapping robotics

Spacemanspark

So I've been thinking of remapping robotics recently, to be more spacious and efficient. 

The picture put down below is a rough idea of what I'd want to do. Not to the letter, as there's charm and fun to improving robotics during the midst of the shift. 

Robotics as it is now is extremely cramped and def could use some map improvements, however, and I'd like to collect thoughts. 

SRQMtnEh.jpg

The following are things in this picture that I would certainly not include round start:

-Protolathe

-Autolathe

-Alien table (obviously) 

The table on the left part of the room might not be something I'd touch either, although I would like to move the disposal bin somewhere else. 

Edited by Spacemanspark

While I like the idea of remapping robotics, I don't think your picture actually goes nearly far enough. It's still the same amount of space. Robotics simply needs to be bigger/have more rooms, which requires a general science remap, imo. Move toxin storage closer to toxins mixing and/or move the servers and you gain a lot of space for robotics to expand into.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eler00 said:

While I like the idea of remapping robotics, I don't think your picture actually goes nearly far enough. It's still the same amount of space. Robotics simply needs to be bigger/have more rooms, which requires a general science remap, imo. Move toxin storage closer to toxins mixing and/or move the servers and you gain a lot of space for robotics to expand into.

Honestly I feel this amount of space is just fine. You don't need a massive amount of space, it just shouldn't be overly cramped. Having made this layout a good few times myself it's pretty much perfect for any roboticist. 

I agree, Robotics does feel cramped. This setup might help

Not a fan of the placement of the fabritcators though.

Edited by Dogs

Honestly being a roboticist main way ages ago i hated how cramped it was, something like this to just give us more space in general would be a real, real big improvement in my opinion.

The fabricators are the biggest part of this honestly, and I can toy with a few other places to put them. I agree it's not the best position, but it does allow for far more space. 

forgive the mess, since i literally just took spark's picture and fucked with it in paint tool SAI, but what about somethin like this? course remove the uh, airlock next to the window up at the desk.

image.thumb.png.a88da839208d53b730f0d13bdde1a9d5.png

alternatively swap the medical area with the top right equipment, but i think putting the desk and bin in the top left would be an improvement; course that means someone would have to edit the disposal pipes, but i can always do that.

there's plenty of room with your adjustment either way, love! my changes are largely aesthetic.

Yeah that's honestly pretty great. I think the open space is nice. I do think a remap of robotics might as well include the Mechbay honestly.

I suggested this after seeing the remap ingame, and even though I said it ingame, I will say it here aswell.

If this remap does get made, this can go infront of map standardisation, because honestly, current robotics is just too damn cramped, especially when you have comparisons such as metastation robotics.

Mech bay should be separated from robotics, allowing the roboticists to open it up to the public for miners, medical and security staff to use if needed. 

As for Dan's idea, it's nice, but I think the fabs should be up against a wall. Opens up the entire room quite nicely. 

Perhaps move the circuit imprinter to the left of the console, and both fabs to the right of it. 

Edited by Spacemanspark

On 4/10/2020 at 1:54 PM, thatdanguy23 said:

forgive the mess, since i literally just took spark's picture and fucked with it in paint tool SAI, but what about somethin like this? course remove the uh, airlock next to the window up at the desk.

image.thumb.png.a88da839208d53b730f0d13bdde1a9d5.png

alternatively swap the medical area with the top right equipment, but i think putting the desk and bin in the top left would be an improvement; course that means someone would have to edit the disposal pipes, but i can always do that.

there's plenty of room with your adjustment either way, love! my changes are largely aesthetic.

i like this layout better personally. 🙂

• clown 1

Its cool, open and effective, but it feels like a player modified it. Lack of tables and racks with various usually useless stuff on them makes it a bit "fake" for a roundstart layout if you know what i mean. It has to be a bit more cramped just to get back the immersion.

• Like 1

This is a really nice layout! I'll give some likes and next steps here.

• As others have mentioned, the openness of the room.
  • Operating table is a separate part of the room. Makes sense, you wouldn't want to put a workshop with all sorts of unclean stuff right next to a surgery setup with nothing dividing them!
  • If it wasn't for that airlock, I would really like where the desk is placed. Strange thing is, I can't explain why...

Next Steps:

• Put the exosuit fabricators against the upper right corner and the console and circuit fabricator against the right wall where those two tables are. Remove those two tables and put the items that are on them at roundstart on those tables on the left side of the room.
  • In the area around the exofabs, paint the floors to have the caution pattern running around the edges. You're working with heavy machinery here, Personal Protective Equipment is needed in this area!
  • Remove one of the tables in the operating section and replace it with the sink.
  • Place a filing cabinet where the table next to the front desk is(for those contracts where people give up their free will for a cool metal body)

It's even better now!(not that what you had before wasn't good)

I didn't even remember you could add welding fuel dispensers to the wall, works much better here.

Edit: Forgot to mention it before, but the reason I like where the desk is in this is because it's a lot closer to the doors. Makes it quicker to bring someone in for forced borging limb repairs.

Edited by ImmortalRedshirt

• 1 month later...

I mean if people like the idea proposed on that response, I'd be happy to implement it as opposed to my idea. My only critique is that the green circles in my map aren't common tools; they're "one and done" pieces of equipment that I rarely ever see anyone pick up again after roundstart. The little surgical room is cramped because everything is accessible from a tile away, although I can see the reasoning behind why that would look clunky for a more roleplay-oriented feel. 

Of course, I highly encourage Robotics mains to pick and choose from both renditions so that we can merge 'em both into a cohesive room! Both have pretty decent ideas.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use