The new addiction system

Trololiver112

Though the addiction symptoms aren't nearly as bad as they once were, I do still agree something needs to be done to them on a whole. I am entirely fine with the real combat drugs or omnizine and the likes being addictive. What isn't fine is developing crippling nicotine/coffee/tea addictions so easily and quickly, and then having to either go to medbay to get the addiction fixed or ensure you constantly smoke or drink whatever you're addicted to.

Making booze no longer be addictive was a good step in the right direction. More changes still need to be done to the system however in my opinion. The minute, and in a lot of caches niche, benefits I see from smoking or coffee/tea drinking really don't deserve such heavy addiction penalties. Or in my opinion any addiction at all, as as McRamon, even if the 2 hrs are meant to be a 12hr shift or whatever only people extremely susceptible to forming addictions would get addicted so quickly and to such extents.

The average person definitely wouldn't be feeling like they're dying from not drinking a mug of coffee or smoking a cig for a few days either.

6 hours ago, Mitchs98 said:

The average person definitely wouldn't be feeling like they're dying from not drinking a mug of coffee or smoking a cig for a few days either.

As someone who was once addicted to nicotine IRL, I'd say the current effects of nicotine addiction, including the feeling like you're dying, are quite accurate... for a regular smoker, but not necessarily a casual smoker. Given that the game isn't persistent and the rounds are only 2 hours long I don't know if it's realistic to ask to decipher a difference between the two.

The point of lack of persistence is also relevant when it comes to the effects and quickness of being addicted to anything else in the game as well. While it seems absurd to become addicted to a substance after consuming it only once or twice when comparing it to real life, real life does not exist in 2 hour increments. 

The effects of the addictions could be more accurate if they were individually tailored to each addiction (IE having a coughing fit from smoking that slows you down rather than feeling tired...which from an RP perspective can be the same thing...) but I'm pretty sure that as of right now the effects of addiction just fall under one umbrella regardless of what you are addicted to. 

If someone has the skill and ambition to code individual effects for each addiction, go for it. The rest of us will have to use our imaginations.

1 hour ago, ZN23X said:

If someone has the skill and ambition to code individual effects for each addiction, go for it. The rest of us will have to use our imaginations.

Imagination is going to have to do the heavy lifting I feel. Its possible and would be neat to code individual effects for each addiction however it would make the code messy and snowflakey which are two things that I think the Maintainers and Heads are trying to avoid with our already pretty messy code.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use