The Beach Gateway revamp

Darkmight9

the Beach Gateway is... not the greatest of gateways. It is certainly a calm place however there isn't much to actually do or get in the gateway. While yes it is intended to be a chill gateway I say it can be made into both one to better relax and have fun in and one to explore and fight in! 

Starting with the beach entrance it's been made into a full on resort! It's facilities include a changing house a dance house, a safe(meaning dense) bonfire circle, and botany and kitchen capabilities! I plan to add two ghost spawner roles, a resort host(a barkeep/chef) who'd tend to the customers of the resort and a resort guard who's job it is to recover those who've died while diving and to keep riff raff out via either a taser or CQC (need to decide which to keep). 

I will also be adding foldable towels and wooden beach chairs to make things feel even more like a beach. I might also add a stage for music performances with included instruments.

image.thumb.png.d3a298378529816309ed4e8350c679f7.png

image.thumb.png.b5e868487015e362141dd8d86e9aeb94.png

To the sea floor we so far have a sunken ship full of skeletons(and a skeleton spawner) and an optional boss in the form of the Death Squid. It's mega fauna levels deadly but should remain in its lair unless someone lets it out. Inside its treasure room is a chest containing an immortality stone, a guardian tarot deck, teleport scroll and a wand of resurrection(a wand not a staff to make sure medbay doesn't become obsolete). The wooden barricades prevent people from just running in and stealing the loot without fighting the Death Squid.  

image.png.8b1e531dff403c59af72fcf414e3b6c6.png

image.thumb.png.91ff2e95b9214f09f9632e642803d5b7.png

Also hidden on the sea floor is the entrance to a volcanic island that hides a syndicate base! The loot in the initial area is a traitor tool belt and tool box, syndi surgery dufflebag, syndi soap, a standard large defib and syndi cigarettes. Passed the first area is the commander and the armory which contains a stechkin pistol with spare mag, combat shotgun with buckshot box,  blood red hardsuit, throwing start kit, safe cracking kit and a chameleon kit. 

Spoiler

also an e dagger

image.thumb.png.51fb3d66b86de1c33afe4ed25aaaa2cd.png

Other things I might add to the gateway are

• poisonous jelly fish that poison you if you bump into them.
  • More sea floor features and ruins(feel free to suggest ideas!).
  • coral if I have time to sprite them (or someone makes me sprites for them 👀)
  •  A jungle temple dedicated to the brass god of gears Rat'Var full of all sorts of brass loot and might possibly be more puzzle based rather than combat based. (though if someone can find me the rat var construct sprites it'd be appreciated)

I believe that's all the current changes made so far! If you have suggestions, ideas, or feedback let me hear it!

Edited by Darkmight9
  • Like 4

Thoughts:

• Unsure if beach guard is necessary. What if nobody enters the gateway? Those ghost roles are going to get bored.
  • What are player controlled skeletons in the sunken ship supposed to do?
  • Squid treasure room's loot seems too strong. Wand of ressurection is capable of reviving a bunch of normally unclonable people with a single shot.
  • The barricades won't keep people from kiting the squid away (say, behind an obstacle) then circling back to get the loot without fighting it
  • Unsure about all the syndi loot. Especially the red hardsuit. Seems like it would generate lots of security alerts if someone wore it back to station.
  • There are a fair few syndies in the base. How is your average explorer meant to beat them without relying on normally unavailable gear, or anything that would be OP if brought back from the gateway?
  • Poisonous jellyfish are my idea, something I was considering adding anyway for a space australia mission, only add them yourself if you think they'd be useful in this mission.
  • While we do have ratvar items in the code, we don't have all of them, and they're not functional, so you'd have to implement any puzzle mechanics yourself.

Pinging @necaladun for feedback as well.

Personally, I think there should be only a single loot item for defeating the death squid, just give one of the ones you have now at random. You can even just make them spawn when the squid dies like other megafauna and completely avoid the kiting away issue. Say he ate someone that had those items and you find it in his guts or something.

Also, keep in mind those syndie mobs are pretty weak, especially with their slow AI. I wouldn't be surprised if someone could clear that syndie base with a single laser gun and a recharger, is that intended?

6 hours ago, Kyet said:

Thoughts:

• Unsure if beach guard is necessary. What if nobody enters the gateway? Those ghost roles are going to get bored.
  • What are player controlled skeletons in the sunken ship supposed to do?
  • Squid treasure room's loot seems too strong. Wand of ressurection is capable of reviving a bunch of normally unclonable people with a single shot.
  • The barricades won't keep people from kiting the squid away (say, behind an obstacle) then circling back to get the loot without fighting it
  • Unsure about all the syndi loot. Especially the red hardsuit. Seems like it would generate lots of security alerts if someone wore it back to station.
  • There are a fair few syndies in the base. How is your average explorer meant to beat them without relying on normally unavailable gear, or anything that would be OP if brought back from the gateway?
  • Poisonous jellyfish are my idea, something I was considering adding anyway for a space australia mission, only add them yourself if you think they'd be useful in this mission.
  • While we do have ratvar items in the code, we don't have all of them, and they're not functional, so you'd have to implement any puzzle mechanics yourself.

Pinging @necaladun for feedback as well.

I'll handle these points in a number

1. A fair concern on the beach guard but if the beach becomes busy then the resort host won't really be able to keep an eye on things going on.
  2. I can see where the confusion happened. The skeleton spawner just spawns more skeleton mobs not player controlled skeletons.
  3. the death squid is a very tough and deadly creature however I may change it to have the squid drop only 1 or 2 items as loot and possibly come up with a replacement for the wand
  4. same as above I'll likely give the squid a drop table
  5. a fair concern might make it the black and red syndi space suit and maybe tone down the loot inside
  6. also a fair concern I'll need to play test it to see how easy/hard it is to beat the base
  7. Kyet is correct I forgot to tribute him for the idea as for adding the jellyfish... maybe not entirely sure on those.
  8. we have some brass objects and tools and those were intended to be the loot for the place. As for the puzzle aspect I was thinking a laser reflection puzzle involving an emitter reflectors and a target that when hit opens a door.

The death squid treasure room has been removed and now the squid drops a loot box on death. unknown.png

feed back on the items and the chances to get them is encouraged

Edited by Darkmight9

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use