Give the AI a shutter in front of its core.

Spacemanspark

Welcome back to Spark's suggestions

Today I am asking to place a single shutter, similar to those the chef can close in their kitchen, in front of the AI core on the satellite. 

The satellite is woefully under protected as is, and this would go a bit of a way to giving the AI a bit more defense, or at least a bit more time, from assaults onto its core. 

Metastation already has this, and it doesn't have any real negative impacts on the game. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BeanOS said:

Who attacks the AI from the front anyway, when you can just thermite your way in from space...

My personal method is punch a hole 2 layers in at the rear of the at, plant a syndie bomb, annnnnnnnnn, theres nothing left to stop me from getten to the AI heh

It really does seem like it needs somthin, again, with the method of breaching the rear of the sat if you had a kill/steal the AI objective, 5 minutes into the round BOOM, done.

Perhaps the ability to flood its sat with metal foam as a method to slow down attackers, or even go all GLADOS on people and flood it with neurotoxin "Half serious"

Edited by BlackDog

Flooding with metal foam would be much better than attempting to slip people coming from space, who most likely have magboots.

Most of the times I've had to deal with the AI directly like this, it has been malph, so I just thermite in from the south, disassemble the SMES, thermite that wall between the SMES and the AI and then jobs done.

That's why you call buzzsky to your core chamber, your only mobile asset. More seriously, maybe we should add the thing from other servers where AIs can manually control turrets?

Shutters may be a good idea, but I agree with many people here that the biggest issue is the Space-part. The amounts of time you just helplessly see someone breaking down the walls and constructing walls to block of the turrets is just sad. One EMP grenade and the entire thing goes down (including you). While I personally think that map part may need a redesign or some improvements, the simpler solution may just be to increase the size of the AI sat and put down more turrets so it has a chance against space goers. Maybe even turrets between the walls so you cannot cheese them and they only activate once someone starts deconstructing the walls.

The other thing is that any unsynced/emagged borg could literally be told to "go kill the AI" and there is no way for the AI to stop them. A "command only-level " access button for the shutters as proposed may be nice (similar to the turrets for telecomms).

While I certainly agree the satellite as a whole is very weak and could use some upgrading overall, this is really just a small suggestion; a discussion about how to change the satellite in general is rather out of scope here and deserves its own thread.

On 1/21/2020 at 12:17 PM, BeanOS said:

Who attacks the AI from the front anyway, when you can just thermite your way in from space...

I get attacked as AI from the front occasionally, it is frustrating defenselessly watching the turrets killed one at a time waiting for death. For some reason getting attacked from the front seems more common for an Antag AI, people aren't trying to be as smart about it they just want to kill the AI

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use