Make breaches WAY more deadly!

AstroDude20

Now i understand that atmospherics is hard since i read the 'Best way for suggesting' thread or whatever and that atmospherics in-itself is hard, I recently played a round and you could walk buy a breach on the floor or on the wall like it wasn't even breached at all

I think you should make it to where ANYTHING in that room, and i mean ANYTHING is pulled towards it strongly and fast. 

I mean, Just imagine being a cargo tech and a Syndicate blows a C4 up south on the window and you and all the mules and crates get absolutely sucked out into space like the movies, That would be awesome. It would make prioritizing where to go and how dangerous breaches are.

Keep this suggestion in mind, and your probably not going to consider it but i think it would be awesome.

I kind of wish this was the case as well, always felt the immediate aftermath of a hull breach was a mild inconvenience compared to the life threatening issue its supposed to be.

Edited by BlackDog

Atmos used to work in the way you suggest. However, it caused issues, as people would become stuck on top of the breach with dozens of objects pelting them to death. It acted more like a person was strung up in front of a junk cannon rather than them being pulled into space. One of the faults of a 2D game. The 'blender' was usually despised as being a guaranteed death sentence, no matter how well armored you were against it. Hell, it could demolish mechs in just seconds, it was so powerful. Because of the complaints, it was nerfed to be less powerful.

From an experience I had in a round earlier, I was hit by two bombs which blew my right arm off and left foot, the entire bar and the front of medbay had breached, I still managed to survive without dying despite being in the main breach for a good 20 seconds. So I personally do think something could be changed but maybe not this specifically, maybe making pressure damage more deadly?

Edited by tinnydave21

8 hours ago, AstroDude20 said:

Now i understand that atmospherics is hard since i read the 'Best way for suggesting' thread or whatever and that atmospherics in-itself is hard, I recently played a round and you could walk buy a breach on the floor or on the wall like it wasn't even breached at all

I think you should make it to where ANYTHING in that room, and i mean ANYTHING is pulled towards it strongly and fast. 

I mean, Just imagine being a cargo tech and a Syndicate blows a C4 up south on the window and you and all the mules and crates get absolutely sucked out into space like the movies, That would be awesome. It would make prioritizing where to go and how dangerous breaches are.

Keep this suggestion in mind, and your probably not going to consider it but i think it would be awesome.

Our atmos system used to work like this years ago, we used a different atmos system called 'ZAS' (Zone area simulation).

It featured exactly what you're looking for--explosive decompression, objects and people being flung about mercilessly. 

As fun as it was, however, it also came with a slew of bugs. We eventually moved onto the LINDA system (no idea what that stands for), and while we did have someone code in a sort of explosive decompression thing for a bit that worked alongside it, it came along with its own issues, enough that we eventually removed it as well. 

I so badly wish we still had ZAS--but there were legitimate reasons for switching over to LINDA. I don't expect we'll be able to do anything to change our system anytime soon, although it is something I feel the game does need. Space should be deadly. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a video one time of a dude playing an SS13 montage. The airlock at escape was open. Motherfucker walked into the hallway near chapel which was completely depressurized from the airlock being left open (and i guess the firelock failsafe wasnt working), the dude flew at like mac 10 directly from where he was standing and out the airlock which was probably like 50-100 tiles away all within a split-second.

I support this thread because thats the type of decompression i want

Of course I did read up and i understand it depends on Atmos sytems and theres different ifs, ands and BUGS that apply. It would be cool though

I also often find myself just walking around in depressurized rooms that have one or multiple holes in the wall and floor (i understand the floors a little different since you cant be sucked into the floor), which makes 0 sense at all. The risk of going into a depressurized room with no suit and boots to grab a body or a cigarette should be way higher than it is now, as its pretty easy to escape space death if you're quick in and out. I remember back in the day you would get FUCKED walking into breaches and things like that if you didnt have magboots, literally game over, prepare to be bashed 100 times and then ejected into space

Edited by Czardoc

it was usually called Fastmos, so if someone mention FAstmos, it's the idea you suggested

On the time of fastmos, i have been killed by dozens of can and food trash and a bunch of paper.

The red text was enormous too. It could easily crash your game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use