Drone main, anyone?

alex1222003

So i've maining drone for a long time now. Upgrading stuff, building sleepers in Operating rooms, second cloners, hacking botany and bar machines, fix the occasional plasma fire and see people cheer at the industrious metal ball. I've been wondering something though. How many drone mains are out there?

Wow, it's a long time i haven't logged into the forums.

Edited by alex1222003
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I play as drone if there is something to do a.k.a traitors are using lots of toxin bombs, I really appreciate all of ya, cute smol things that work harder than greytide trying to get insuls ❤️

• Thanks 1

I always play drone, bombs or not. I like to be the beloved metal ball that comes out of a vent and fixes everything. If there isn't anything to fix i make a department happy by upgrading their things. Expecially medbay. Surgeons really do love having upgraded sleepers inside their OR. Also, pro tip on how to be gentle with a drone. If it's building something you dont want built, pick it up and put it outside the door. Most of them will get the hint. 

Edited by alex1222003
  • Like 1

Most likely, although there are some players who play them more often than others.

Drone is typically a very lonely role--even moreso than the AI. Since interaction with the other players is what often drives the game forward, most tend to be dissuaded by it outside of an occasional 'chill' round.

19 hours ago, alex1222003 said:

I always play drone, bombs or not. I like to be the beloved metal ball that comes out of a vent and fixes everything. If there isn't anything to fix i make a department happy by upgrading their things. Expecially medbay. Surgeons really do love having upgraded sleepers inside their OR. Also, pro tip on how to be gentle with a drone. If it's building something you dont want built, pick it up and put it outside the door. Most of them will get the hint. 

How do you upgrade sleepers?

4 hours ago, conty40 said:

How do you upgrade sleepers?

Either you take better components, deconstruct the machine and reconstruct it with the better stuff,  or you use one of those bluespace-fast construction thinghies. ORs do not have sleepers however, so i just make them from scratch. I always patiently wait for research to be done first. If tou see a drone waiting on a table inside R&D, you now know why.

6 hours ago, Spacemanspark said:

Most likely, although there are some players who play them more often than others.

Drone is typically a very lonely role--even moreso than the AI. Since interaction with the other players is what often drives the game forward, most tend to be dissuaded by it outside of an occasional 'chill' round.

Definitely. While i see some other drones from time to time, i've never seen another drone main so far. Looks like i'm the only one enjoying doing all the hard work. I do it for a reason though. I like that feeling when i know i made someone's round a bit better. I always start from medbay because i know it's one stressful job to do(hell, i used to play doctor and medborgs). I also do it for the love. Here's THE best phrase i've ever seen. 

Random engineer:"Who completed the dna vault?"

AI:"The drone did."

I would like to add that SOMETIMES i dont play drone. Mosly because it's too late in the round(i won't join after 1:30), or because the station is just utterly fucked(station got maxcapped in multiple places? Yep, not fixing that.)

In short, be gentle with drones. Also for god sake dont emag them. It's 3 mimutes of "what the fuck do i do" and 10 minutes to respawn.

• Thanks 1

I've tried droning from the beginning of a round and I got so bored so quick. I was flooring, lighting, and putting cameras up in maint for the majority of the round because nothing was happening and after two hours everything I did was erased. I'll drone after I die for sure just to repair the station. I've never thought of building additional stuff like that but I'm not sure I have the patience to go back and forth to get components for the machines. I know drones are supposed to be tiny but they need a better way to transport small items like that

Yeah, drone job as an actual hobby isn't for everyone. To me the fact that you have to carry 2 items at once is the best thing. What can i say, i like being an ant. When people steal what i'm pulling with me(rarely happens though, probabily because they do want the sleeper, extra pod, or chem dispenser) i just scream and go back to get another one.

2 hours ago, alex1222003 said:

i just scream and go back to get another one.

I love this sentence.

At least science and medbay are pretty close together. It sucked going back and forth to cargo for an hour and a half making cameras. I may give drone some more play time though. At the very least it's good building practice

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 6:02 PM, sandbag747 said:

At the very least it's good building practice

That is it for sure. Plus, you can take all the time you want to make something. Non one is gonna ask to hurry up when you build something as a drone, they'll just cheer on you when you make a second cloning pod in cloning. Also, you don't need to worry about fucking up. If you don't know something you can just ask in the drone radio and most likely me or Onyxarias (another fellow drone main <3) will gladly help you. (Sorry for the late response)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use