Buff Plasma Man Helmets

Odieman

Introduction:

As the title states, there is a strange thing going on with plasma man helmets.  Let's first go over how plasma men work when it comes to damage:

The disadvantages:

• 50% increase in brute and burn
  • Generally need their helmet just to survive
  • Can be difficult to clone, to near impossible if their suit or helmet is stolen

The advantages:

• No such thing as internal bleeding as they have no blood
  • They can't be lit on fire.  Even if they are on fire, they only take very little fire damage because of their enviro-suit.  Atmospheric enviro-suits and helmets have 100% fire resistance, respectively

The in-between:

• You can use a hard-suit helmet in place of the enviro-suit one, this comes with the disadvantage of lower speed.

Certain jobs, I understand.  I don't expect a chef plasma man to be blocking much damage, really at all, from bullets.  Any job that SHOULD have easy access to bullet resistant headgear should have it applied to plasma man helmets, however.  As it stands a security helmet you spawn with as a human has 35% melee resistance, along with 30% laser and bullet resistance.  These are the things you're most worried about as a security officer anyway.  As a plasma man?  You get 10% melee resistance.  Sure, bio and fire resistance is high, but you'd be hard pressed to see a sec officer get infected with a debilitating virus, and I've very rarely seen a flamethrower used as a weapon.  I'm sure it has happened, but it's so rare that I'm curious as to what NT is thinking with these crew helmets.

A technical example:

If you shoot an officer in the head with a standard stechkin, they take 21 damage, assuming they wear a helmet.  A plasma man with his helmet on, takes 45 damage.  3 hits will certainly put you into crit, and 4 will take you out of the fight completely.  With a regular human officer, 6 shots put you into crit, and 8 take you out completely.  You can test this on a privately hosted para-code server if you'd like, I'm not sure how the math works this way but that's what is happening.

Another example:
Shot in the head with a stechkin (normal bullets) as plasma man vs shot in the head as a helmeted security officer.  Which one does more damage?  That's right.  The stechkin on the plasma man.  45 damage vs 42.  If the traitor is using hollow points, it's 60 vs 16 (plasma man helmets have 0 bullet resistance, so it acts as if they were wearing nothing at all).

Closing statements:

Plasma men are already so fickle.  There is no reason not to have their helmets provide the standard fare of protection (35% melee, 30% bullet/laser) to security enviro-helmets.  I would argue certain helmets in command have some protection as well, given the fragility of the species.  I am NOT suggesting that civilians and librarians become resistant to gunfire, nor am I suggesting you decrease the +50% brute damage modifier.  I use a stechkin as the testing item as it is standard bullet projectile.  Anything that shoots you be it laser or ballistic will follow the same rules as the protection for these items are standardized for security armor (30%), and since plasma men are only mostly fire proof and not burn proof, lasers still do 50% extra damage to them.

My suggestion to fix this:
Paradise-master\code\modules\clothing\spacesuits\plasmamen.dm is the file that contains all the variables for plasma man helmets.  As it stands, certain command roles have no protection when I believe they should.  HoS, Blueshield, etc.  My suggestion is:

line 88 be replaced with:

armor = list("melee" = 35, "bullet" = 30, "laser" = 30, "energy" = 10, "bomb" = 25, "bio" = 100, "rad" = 0, "fire" = 100, "acid" = 75)

The HoS having an added line at 101 being:

armor = list("melee" = 45, "bullet" = 35, "laser" = 35, "energy" = 15, "bomb" = 30, "bio" = 100, "rad" = 0, "fire" = 100, "acid" = 75)

With the Captain and Blueshield having the same armor variables added on lines 246 and 253.  Some might think this is OP, but all this means is you take 5% more damage than a bald human anyway.  I'd imagine NT would invest in some protection to the captain of their station.  I'm up for suggestions and modifications to these ideas below.

Edited by Odieman

Eh newcrit is more an advantage than a disadvantage, do you wanna be an IPC?.

A disadvantage would be that you cant live without envirosuit for example or that cloning you is difficult 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gaty said:

Eh newcrit is more an advantage than a disadvantage, do you wanna be an IPC?.

A disadvantage would be that you cant live without envirosuit for example or that cloning you is difficult 

You might be right in thinking that actually.  An IPC has the distinct advantage of not needing a head at all.  If we're just going by helmets, an IPC would actually survive where a plasma man would not.  If we're just going by hits, all shots to the chest ensure an IPC will lose, whereas shots to limbs will make a plasma person die faster.  100 damage seems to be the threshold for plasmaman getting a chance to be knocked down, but sometimes they do not fall down and can still fight.

I'll change the original post with this info, thanks for the help.

Edited by Odieman

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use