Tactical targeting

Nukechicken

Have attacking specific areas have a low chance to do something to the victim, like punching someone's groin cause them to drop items in their active hand, and punching in the chest to have a chance to stun, seeing as in real life if you get punched in the liver, if hard enough you will fall and possibly pass out, attacking legs give stamina damage, feet could trip people, and mouth causes someone to be mute for a second, though some of these might be even less of a problem to achieve even if its super rare with the gloves of the north star because more tries per cycle, giving the gloves more of a use. If you think this is a horrible idea then your probably right because this is mostly thought up in a shower

• Like 1

By no means do I know the existing combat system very well, but I like the idea of adding this extra layer where targeting specific body parts affects different things.

However, I do think that it's worth mentioning that some of these things are already in the game to some extent. I believe there is already a low chance in which punching activates a "weaken" ability that stuns for some time, although I think that making that ability only applicable to certain parts of the body(i.e., head, upper body, lower body)would make more sense as someone doesn't necessarily get stunned in real life from getting punched in the hand or foot. All that I can say is that for a system like this to be implemented, RNG definitely should not be generous, as there are already enough ways to deal various types of damage in the game.

As a sidenote, getting punched or kicked in the groin(for males)does a lot more to someone than causing them to drop whatever they're holding. I recall lying in the fetal position for about an hour, puking and pissing out blood. It's not fun.

Edited by Display Name
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You're more than welcome to talk to the maintainers about the project and try to code it yourself. Otherwise don't expect such a system to come to light any time in the foreseeable future. Just off the top of my head I can list a few reasons why it would be a rather complex project that would require a lot of dedication for completion.

• How would this affect IPCs who aren't flesh and blood and made of metal. If only organics are affected how do we balance it so that they're not given an unintentional buff?
  • How would this affect species that have unique organs? ex: Neither Diona nor Slime have livers that you can punch for the unique effect.
  • How would this alter the balance of combat in general? Would it be more advantageous to target specific areas and would the effects be abused to give unfair advantage?
  • Would the effects remain if the organs in question were removed from the mob or are the effects intricately tied to them?
  • How would this be implemented if the mob has cybernetic organs instead of organic ones?

Nothing is more amusing than a group of traitors lurking around station punching people in groin

4 hours ago, BryanR said:

You're more than welcome to talk to the maintainers about the project and try to code it yourself. Otherwise don't expect such a system to come to light any time in the foreseeable future. Just off the top of my head I can list a few reasons why it would be a rather complex project that would require a lot of dedication for completion.

• How would this affect IPCs who aren't flesh and blood and made of metal. If only organics are affected how do we balance it so that they're not given an unintentional buff?
  • How would this affect species that have unique organs? ex: Neither Diona nor Slime have livers that you can punch for the unique effect.
  • How would this alter the balance of combat in general? Would it be more advantageous to target specific areas and would the effects be abused to give unfair advantage?
  • Would the effects remain if the organs in question were removed from the mob or are the effects intricately tied to them?
  • How would this be implemented if the mob has cybernetic organs instead of organic ones?

Punching an IPC in the groin should make their heads fall off. Its only realistic as they are toasters.

While I would appreciate the detail in this I think it sounds too difficult to implement and its not something people can really concentrate on in a fight especially where disarming is better than punching someone.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 3:16 AM, BryanR said:

If I ever have time I'll try to work on it myself

May want to discuss it with the Head Administrators and Maintainers before you commit seriously to a project like this. Wouldn't want to sink a bunch of time into a feature that'll never see the light of day.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 1:06 AM, Nukechicken said:

Did you even read this or are you high?

Honestly I don't see any reason to implement this. However I do see a merit in buffing the gloves by giving them a small percentile to stun the victim.

• 2 weeks later...

mostly people always target head or chest in combat most times, since shooting arms or legs has less chance of hitting torso and this carries to melee anyway, so i don't think putting that thing on melee punch combat would do much change on things really, what would be actually more difference making would be a change on disarms/grabs. also first comment since 2017

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use