Name review

Carbonknight666

Byond Key: Carbonknight666

IC Name for Review: El Puncho

Race: Human

Is this a Mime or Clown Job Name? no

Reason/Backstory: IC- His real name is Jeff Albertson, He was a botanist who decided to take up boxing as a part time thing. after failing hard on this delusional career and suffering permanent brain damage during an unfortunate training accident, he took back a Nanotrasen posting, due to his brain damage he's often assigned menial or low skill jobs. He also lives in a perpetual state of delusions of grandeur, thinking hes a successful competition boxer, as a result he wears the gloves and mask and has his stage name on his ID. Before heading out his mother stitched his real name to his pants hoping it might help him regain his grip on reality, something he is unaware of so her plan so far has failed. He has lucidity in his job but his identity is still something of a fog. One minute hes picking up trash as a janitor or putting books in the library, the next hes punching spiders and getting his ass kicked in the process, all the while thinking he won no matter how many limbs he lost. The company views him as cheap labor as he will do whatever job given and forgets to deposit his paycheck 9 times out of 10.

OOC- Years ago I was given the name by the HOP because it was funny, I decided to stick with a gimic character because people seemed to enjoy it, players and admins alike. Although technically against the naming rules Ive had no issues with it from any staff in the past, in fact the staff seem to give me a lot of leeway, probably because I try to reserve my tomfoolery to non round ruining things. Anyway as a compromise my character does have a real name, it can be found in his flavour text in the form of a nametag stitched to his pants. I put it there so he has a real IC name and anyone can see it very easily. The character is a joke, he wears boxing gloves and a mask, the name is an extension of that but it has IC reasons Ive developed for him over the last few years, it's a joke, but it's a well established and thought out joke with in universe reasons. Not sure if it matters but due to my schedule I also play during North American night when population is lower. I don't blame Abydos2 for bringing it up, but he did strip the name and in doing so ruin the character that round. Instead of complaining it's better to just do a name review and see if the character dies. I go through months where I don't play ss13 but I still play it and enjoy the character when I do, and Ive been on Paradise since New Eden died (whenever that was). Lastly and this is a far less important reason, but IRL I'm dyslexic and frequently transpose words and make typos when I play. His brain damage backstory is my IC explanation for when this happens.

4 minutes ago, Carbonknight666 said:

Anyway as a compromise my character does have a real name, it can be found in his flavour text in the form of a nametag stitched to his pants. I put it there so he has a real IC name and anyone can see it very easily.

I'd like to say that at the time, you did not have this flavor text. You only added it after this topic.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

That is 100% not true, I had that flavor text for a long time.

Check the logs I have not set my flavor text for years.

also the flavor text wasn't there when you changed my name but it was there prior. Not sure why it came back but I can guarantee I did not set it.

Edited by Carbonknight666

I examined you a course of three times over the round, you never had the flavor text. You were afk writing up this topic. Afterwards, you then added the flavor text.

Carbonknight6662.png

Carbonknight666.png

Carbonknight6663.png

Carbonknight6664.png

Look, I don't know why the flavor text went and came back, I set it years ago and never touched it since. I told you about it before any of this, why would I tell you about it if it wasn't there? I did not add it in after the fact. I'm currently looking though every post I made on the discord to see if I can find reference to it because it's been there for a while.

This was a painful search but here you go. I mentioned it on the Paradise discord in 2018. Anyone can go check. 

Now that I've proven that I'm going to let whomever is in charge of this topic decide if my character dies today or if his IC explanation is justification enough to let him be.

Small update on this. Someone informed me that wearing masks may hide flavour text in a similar way it makes a character unknown. If so that would make the flavor text situation just a missunderstanding in which no one was at fault. I'll do some experiments on my test server to see if that is indeed the reason for the discrepancy. I apologize to Abydos if that is indeed the case, you would think I should know that.

Yep, wearing a mask hides flavor text, never knew that but good to know. kind of weird that it does, I'll have to rethink the character a bit if hes allowed to live to ensure his real name is visible.

20191120_055448.jpg

mask.png

Edited by Carbonknight666
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

As El Puncho has been a long time character on the cyberiad without any problems, as long as the real name is in flavour text (which yes, sometimes does get cleared for god knows what reason), I have no issue with it at all. It's well within the bounds of what peopel get their name changed to IRL, and fits the character. I swear I've seen it in the flavour text before too, so god knows why that disappeared.

Sorry for the late reply, slipped my mind.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use