A Thunderdome played / Joe's music thread

Regular Joe

The other day, I felt the inspiration to tinker with the beloved "Thunderdome" track. It impressed me greatly back when I discovered the station. Spend then the evening in the band garage, resulting into this:

It's done with assorted rock instruments, scratch keys, as of I tried to do the lead part with guitar. I recorded the stuff with my old multitracker. Result is bit distorted by peaking, due the hasty way I recorded the drums. Had fun time playing this, so that I wanted to post the outcome out here!

And as of credits of the track were, not too long ago, discovered, the great original is here: https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/312622

Edited by Regular Joe
for convenience, replaced .mp3 with a Soundclound link.
  • Like 4
  • fastparrot 1
  • explodyparrot 1

• 4 months later...

Due to the general lockdown, I had some time to spend alone at the band garage. Thought then to record one for you, fellow spaceman friendlies! This time, a cover shot of "We will be strong", by Thin Lizzy, year 1980 at album "Chinatown". As it says, keep up the spirit, and toolboxing, out there.

I dig various kinds of music, yet Thin Lizzy has always been the personal favourite. Rough sounds, rough lyrics, that kind of stuff I mind to sing too. This arrangement and all sounds played by me.

• Like 4
  • fastparrot 1

Thanks man! Well, that happens when I lock myself to the bandhouse again. People do cheerful art and stuff here so that I wanted to bring something of my own.

Taking the drums and the solo in was here a major honk, due that being a rhytm guitar/bass player I don't really play drums and solo guitar, I just beat them taking funny faces in the process. But you know, give a monkey enough time, pizza and drumsticks so he'll finish it eventually, maybe a bassist too!

• fastparrot 1

Very nice, also havent thought of newgrounds music in a long time.

With a bit of digging i found that Sector 11, was in itself a recreation of some of the chords from the guys very first song:

Manufacturing Unit 101, you can clearly hear it.

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/182796

The history of the music we enjoy is quite interesting, almost feel like a lot of this guys music could be implemented into SS13 as its soundtrack

Edited by BlackDog

Good note! I got to listen to his tracks before - neat stuff! - but didn't spot that before. The sweet lead tune of Sector 11/Thunderdome's refrains is indeed there, and the track's composition idea is just about it. It's fun indeed. Finishing a song might take years sometimes, even if the main idea was clear from the beginning. Then sometimes you can do it almost from the top of your head. Well and Thunderdome's story, it's interesting to listen its author's music as it is indeed so fitting to theme. And we knew nothing of that!

Edited by Regular Joe

• 2 months later...

Double track post time! These I actually recorded in April-May during the initial quarantine time. Only recently mixed them up, as got started again in a job that is quite social, and mixing things is the perfect afterwork fun for that. Solitary nerdism namely, bit like being a space chemist. I think though that with these little tracks I've finally learned how to fairly record drums and bass. Guitars and vocals are still bit a work in progress.

First on, a demo of one my own tune in construction. No proper guitar solo because a bassist can not invent such things.

Secondly, more Thin Lizzy! This one from their heavy end, the 1983 album Thunder and Lightning. Beating the drum track on this was a major fun in the posterior, since those triple kicks, with a single pedal, were initially not in my range of skill as a really-not-a-drummer. Worked well as a leg day, and as with the previous case, a number of pizza AND drumsticks were consumed in the process. Also singing English feels like learning it all over again, funnily enough.

Edited by Regular Joe
  • Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use