Least Liked Department

Display Name

So. What Department do you like the least out of the lot? Could be due to the players who main them, bad history with the department or just dislike of the duties associated with them.

For myself, I'm honestly going to have to diss Science. Even though I play Science maybe 7 rounds out of 10, I gotta say, the people can be real pompous pricks sometimes. Probably because of the obligations that Science has to the rest of the station, and the fact that pretty much everyone knows what to do and how to do it, it's just a really difficult department to get into playing, because the more experienced players will quite literally throw you away from the console and sideline you to sitting in Sci-Chem for the whole round if you show even the slightest hint of incompetence.

Edited by Display Name

Security, whether it is as crew or as borg, I hate being security.

My main dislike of this department is not having to deal with crimes or generic crew stupidity, it's dealing with the incompetence, stupidity and cruelty of other security personnel.

Sec is often filled with people who don't give a crap whether or not other people are enjoying the round, and are generally happy to force people to sit isolated, even in processing, for extended periods, whether or not they are innocent, this even extends to being extremely anti-fun, because they technically can.

4 hours ago, Display Name said:

So. What Department do you like the least out of the lot? Could be due to the players who main them, the bad history with the department or just dislike of the duties associated with them.

For myself, I'm honestly going to have to diss Science. Even though I play Science maybe 7 rounds out of 10, I gotta say, the people can be real pompous pricks sometimes. Probably because of the obligations that Science has to the rest of the station, and the fact that pretty much everyone knows what to do and how to do it, it's just a really difficult department to get into playing, because the more experienced players will quite literally throw you away from the console and sideline you to sitting in Sci-Chem for the whole round if you show even the slightest hint of incompetence.

The problem with being in science is that a lot of other departments depend on you doing your job quickly, which means if you are 20 minutes in and haven't done the first round of upgrades, then that is an issue, so I believe it is perfectly acceptable for people who can do rnd quickly to throw out slowpokes, if you want to do rnd, then prep beforehand is essentially required and there is a handy tool that Kyet provided, on the Guide to Research and Development which will allow you to construct of list of items you will need to do rnd effectively.

Can't choose one, will say what better me the most in each department.

Science don't man R&D often enough; Robotics half the time can't fix anything if their life depended on it. Can’t count how many times I’ve seen dead IPCs and borgs forever forgotten on robotics floor while they build their mechs.

Sec can be shitters, abuse people, arrest without reason, give unreasonable or illegal sentences, kill people illegally, and don't usually enforce the law against their own. 

Service has the greatest concentration of inexperienced players and is unusually affected by people dropping off. Bar and kitchen are frequently unmanned. Botany some rounds can't do shit. Janitors use water instead of space cleaner. 

I feel cargo has the same problems as service, but because of 3 people there, they more frequently can man cargo. Could never get them to mail something for me when I have no access to a request console or want to send a bigger package. QM do not take care of his miners nearly well enough.

Engies are lazy fucks, atmos even lazier. Lot of rounds all hardsuits are taken and there's no one working. Atmos never clear their alarms. But at least it's a big department, and 1-2 people can do the job. If there's something really big happening sometimes people who fucked off start working again, so that helps too. 

Command is frequently highly incompetent. My impression is that Cap and RD are the most incompetent on average. Guess It make sense for Cap to be the most incompetent guy on station since he does nothing, but sometimes he must take pretty consequential decisions that fuck the station over. Also, command communicate way less often than they should, and sometimes is difficult to fire cap simply because people are not listening to radio. In like 10% of the rounds not the AI or CE turn on the fucking solars in tcomms. CEs don't know tcomms enough to repair it if something happens most of the time, and frequently never even check on tcomms problems. RD's frequently can't deal with AI problems and other heads must do it for them. 

Medbay is fine enough in my experience. 

Edited by Calecute
  • Thanks 2

Command mostly,and security,botany too but it’s not as important/impacting 

for command,I’m going to choose the sec point of view,as you have to obey your superiors,the incompetence of HOP or captain can be a killing blow to sec,and often it’s reputation,I have seen many issue KOS orders on innocent people, or not knowing interrogation procedures,or generally law and SOP "why do you want the ling’s account ? You want to rob him or what,i’m Not giving it" or simply with them not responding nor interacting, sec has to rely on them for many things, calling Gamma,issuing Red..ERT..and it’s organisation suffers from their common incompetence.

security,I have a sec main,it’s the department I play the most, there’s too many new officers,that do not get assigned to more experienced ones, they let people in processing for too long, are not effective in giving sentences and such, don’t remove the time passed processed,same problem with SOP and Law,confiscating Russian revolvers,giving 30 minutes sentence to battery...and generally not taking most orders with a grain of salt or intelligence.

HoS not understanding the job is to do each at all time,Officer,warden and command,going to only chase people in maint when they need to watch if the others do their jobs is annoying, they’re expected to know everything to do in case of threats, the reality being they often do not,having them thralled/replaced (ling) roundstart condemns the station usually.

-A ranting sinta Officer.

oh yeah,HoP giving paperwork to sec asking basic department access on code red makes me laugh painfully too.

Security by a landslide. 'Shitcucrity' is a thing for a reason. Either we take too long to process you, don't listen to you, brig you for some bs, or get in your way, we've fucked up in your eyes. Security are the guys who will try to stop you from getting greentext most of the time - or do allow you to get greentext, often at your victim's very audible, very trite, very repetitive chagrin. 

Medical comes next, because Medical is vital to keeping players up and about rather than down and silent. They mess that up, they take too long, they don't respond at all - your playtime comes to a slow, grating, boring end. 'Malpractice' bay exists for a reason.

Cargo after, often because they're slow to react to orders or commands - especially during syndicate, blobs, or other antag rounds - or leave Science high and dry.

Then comes Science, Command, and Service. They mess up, but often it's due to rare, situational things. Often Science doesn't come around to upgrade your shit or provide nice, but optional, goodies. Command might not be around to change your ID - the horror, the horror! Service might not be around to cook some food - it's a good thing there are vending machines. Stuff like this doesn't really affect the rest of the station as the other three, with Command inching to the top because they handle promotions, demotions, and access while the other two are much more minor. 

Edited by Esha Nas

• 2 months later...

Command
Im often seeing Captains just memeing in COMMON. I dont really get how people RP as complete fucking morons as the Space Station captain - and it feels like a lotta OOC stuff half the time.

"Hey captain, where do you want the BSA"

" In my office, two pointed at eachother so I can die."

"Cool - so i just wont ask anymore..."

Mining
Literally will never talk to eachother or help new miners out.  Also doesnt coordinate with QM enough and QM rarely knows enough about mining (myself included, but again due to mining just kinda....fucking ignoring everyone)

Cargo and QM
I've had amazing shifts, I've had absolutely miserable shifts where my QM is actually just making it difficult to even have fun. When i need a QM or Cargo though as an Engi - 9/10 - no ones at the desk, doesnt know the console, and forgets to prioritize station missions.

Chemistry
Specifically - these guys have not communicated enough. They'll have me stand there for two minutes while brewing my chems but wont say a word so I keep repeating myself like a jackass cause they dont just say "Sure one moment Doc". I know y'all gotta lot to do - still a roleplaying game.

Med
Who could complain about these mad lads and their defibs. I'll never understand why you prioritize civies over engies though. Seen it too many times.

RND
Never had a problem with RND except for toxins test lab never listening to atmospherics and talking about their problems to us.

Service
Please stop drugging the pizza - it makes it really hard to repair the station.

Sec
Arrested for putting cargo on a cargobot. Killed because Sec couldnt figure out that they were shooting me with their pewpew and not the slime that was eating me. Arrested for repairing an airlock for "Tampering".

Need I say more.

Engineering

Perfect in every way.

• Like 1

Medical. I love being doctor but man, it just makes me hate the department worse these days. I don't get how so many people can be so bad at a job you can do actually reasonably well with by reading the wiki and asking other people for help. And one so vital to the flow of the round! And then you have the people that plug their virtual ears, defy any sense, and try to clone a robot.

Cargo is definitely the most hit or miss...

But when Medical is bad, it gets noticed.
I remember spectating medical one day to see a geneticist and his coroner buddy getting a slow stream of corpses to clone and deal with, except these two dopes had no idea how to clone a body.
So what do you do if you can't figure out how to clone a body?
Throw it down disposals, of corpse!
Cue cargo getting a worryingly large amount of corpses showing up in their disposals line, dragging them to medical to be cloned, the geneticist and coroner throwing them back down disposals once they left, and Cargo finding the corpses back in the trash. A single body was thrown down disposals more than 4 times, and this went on for at least 15-20 minutes.

Eventually a Blueshield finally comes, partially unaware of the shenanigans, and at least tries to get one or two people properly cloned.
Ghost chat was a riot, during all of it. Sometimes you just happen on pure gold while spectating.

Edited by Pckables

If You have patience to bunch of new players cargo can be quite okay.

My main issue against security is that there is tons of new players there for some reason (which is where shitcurity comes from), come on play clown to be robust sec is FOR getting robusted >.<

Medbay is metaphorically 10 md's fighting over one greytide with 20 burn damage just to have something to do and it's the worse if someone steals any surgery tools.

I love being HoP, the more paperwork the better but the whole thing is gone after the alert raises and then im just a access giver rest of the command is cool i guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what @Meow19 says, A bunch of new people often join security for some unknown reason and have no idea how to play. It's almost as though a coin gets flipped every single round to see whether experienced or new players get to play.

While I myself really enjoy security, I sometimes prefer other jobs with more paperwork because I find it to be kind of fun.

At the end of the day, it makes complete sense if you are new to a department and don't know how to play. I'm not saying that you should only stick with what you know, but at least pull up the wiki page or ask a mentor if you need help.

As a side note, there is a small button that most people don't actually know about labelled "Wiki" in the top-right of the game window. 

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use