Should Security get more access?

Esha Nas

Should Security get more access?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A rising concern with Officers is that they are basically beholden to the whim of the door. This has become more and more of a problem when there's actually a cohesive, strong Security but a divided command/AI attention; leading to scenarios where people are being processed on site, on at a time, for minutes on end. Or they lose a vital perp due to maint navigating and time. 

Let's not beat about the bush. Security with more access does mean more potential for abuse, stealing, power gaming, and tomfuckery no one wants to deal with. While Security officers are beholden to the law, it is rare for an officer to get anything more than a verbal reprimand for wrong doing. Should access be expanded, any and all complaints about sec officers should be looked into...thoroughly.

This also is a huge buff for security and a huge nerf for antags, who rely on the restrictive access to get things done, so there's that counter.

Maybe instead...Security gains more access with the Code level? Code Green: Standard Access as now. Code Blue: Access to most internal department areas. Code Red: Full Access. On top of a few tweaks at code Green if needed (Gateway?).

Anyway, thoughts?

as a security main i am horrified of the fact that i'd be getting more access.

it would take away precious seconds that an antag has to think of a plan to get out of escape-or-capture scenario. 

plus its funner with the chase 

• Like 1

Logically speaking, yeah, it would make sense for security to have at least basic access to each department; but gameplay wise it's funny to watch frustrated officers waiting for the AI probably more balanced for them not to; given the how easy it would be for them to chase antags or get more supplies; you could also argue it's a strength that only security borgs should have to benefit the team more.

From the logic perspective - security onboard expensive private research facility would have nearly all access, maybe except for head offices and very dangerous places like engine room.

But yeah, while i play security a lot, and i would love to see extended access, it would definitely ruin balance, especially for guys like chef, who has only kitchen access to rely on.

And the amount of equipment stolen would be nearly unmanageable. All the tools from engi, med vendors and so on. 

Edited by McRamon

I've brought this up before elsewhere as a means of balancing out raised requirements to play security (like more time - No I am not letting that go). 

The best way to approach giving them more access is if it's general access to departments / and only works on Red. That way, if it's an extended round or all the antags are handled, security isn't able to waltz about getting in the way of everything and everyone. Additionally, it also means that security has to consider the pros and cons of having a higher degree of access at higher threat levels.

• Like 4

If you want to see how much of an issue giving security more access would be, try playing a few shifts as a security borg and compare the difference, catching criminals in restricted areas becomes trivial

• Like 1

Security already has access with the help of the AI, a secborg, or Jaws of Life from R&D (or, Meteor rounds for shotguns). They definitely don't need additional access built in, security already oversteps their boundaries and ruins rounds for the sake of denying greentext, this would just lead to obnoxious abuses in power by officers, more than the usual.

The best way to approach giving them more access is if it's general access to departments / and only works on Red.

While this makes sense conceptually, realistically most rounds are always set to Red alert, and never taken deescalated. Maybe on higher alerts than Red, but as I said, opening doors for Sec is one of the AI's key responsibilities, and one of the main reasons officers drag around secborgs.

And on top of getting more access through silicons or jaws, there's nothing stopping them from asking for more access from the HoP.

Edited by Ionward
remembered HoP access granting

A lot of things are set up in ways that aren't meant to make sense logically, but rather to create opportunities for crew to optimize or have a meaningful impact on the round.  While it can be frustrating to play security and have an AI that doesn't respond to you and useless command that don't give you more access, the fact that these roles being incompetent matters, means that them being competent matters.  When you have a good AI, or command that actually sees problems and solves them you really notice and appreciate it, because they have the power to make a difference.  If you already had everything you need from round start, there wouldn't be anything they can do to help or hinder you.

I think this is one of those areas where an intentional lack of optimization helps the game. 

Edited by EvadableMoxie
  • explodyparrot 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use