IPC Specific Starter Kit

quintaessentia

As the title already states, i want to suggest customized starter kits (those boxes everyone starts out with) for IPC, like Vox and Plasmamen have.

Those would contain instead of the small oxygen tank and breathing mask an oil can, containing 50 to 100u of oil.

This would fix some problems with the IPC race in general, would take little coding (could be just these red oil containing vessels in robotics) and would only make sense from a lore perspective.

Also an emergency welding tool and a cable coil could be possible, but those two, or better, are so easily acquired that it doesn't really matter.

The glowsticks should just stay for the hell of it, even though they are pretty useless as fast as they expire, as well as the injectors, for those flimsy organics.

Edited by quinta essentia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Good idea in my opinion.

Every other race gets an emergency kit, so why shouldn't IPCs? I think adding some very small cable (15 pieces) and an emergency welder are a fine addition as well, nothing too game changing, and it's all fair.

• Like 1

This is a very solid idea. The only change I would suggest is going from 15 to 10 cables, but that's an incredibly minor thing just to avoid IPCs starting with a pair of cable-cuffs, which, in all honesty, shouldn't be a problem. If anyone wants to take this up, and wants to make some emergency oil injector or emergency oil container of any kind and needs sprites, shoot me a ping on Discord.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gaty said:

Getting a way to refill your blood and heal brute/burn at roundstart would be unbalanced.

At least that is the reason why it is not in.

I think it was just never thought of in the first place, which is why it's not added in. IPCs are pretty much untouched when it comes to newcrit, so my straight forward guess is that it was never thought of, cause no one really expected IPCs to need it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, kazboo said:

I think it was just never thought of in the first place, which is why it's not added in. IPCs are pretty much untouched when it comes to newcrit, so my straight forward guess is that it was never thought of, cause no one really expected IPCs to need it

I suggested it long ago, when emergency boxes got customized, and I got that response.

• Like 1

Just now, Gaty said:

I suggested it long ago, when emergency boxes got customized, and I got that response.

Times shall now have changed, my friend. A new era is dawning in the horizon.

• Like 1

ipc dont need to breath, they dont need survival kit at all. wires and welder? well you dont see trauma and burn kits in human box, do you? 

if any, a custom thing may be added, which is like emergency autoinjector, but for ipc.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, quinta essentia said:

Also an emergency welding tool and a cable coil could be possible, but those two, or better, are so easily acquired that it doesn't really matter.

This suggestion was never about welding tools and cable coils in the first place, the original thought was to give every IPC a bit of oil. I just wrote it down as a side idea, a possibility. Furthermore as already stated, those two are so easily acquired, it doesn't matter if they would be added or not.

In my opinion 50 to 100u of oil, or even less, are not game changing at all, as the moment an IPC really needs oil is when they can't move a finger anymore. Furthermore there is only one oil tank on the whole station and IPC don't regenerate blood in comparison to most other races. Squishes being the only exception i can think of, but how many water tanks are there, more than twenty?

Oil is next to EMPs the greatest weakness to IPC, and the only way to compensate for it is to use this one tank in robotics, which blows up regularly, or to hope someone with access to chem dispensers is nice enough to make you some oil, in small quantities of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I totally support this one. People say it's unbalanced, but IPCs are one of the squishiest races on the server, and can get damaged very easily, so having a way to repair some very light damage to themselves wouldn't be too much to ask for, especially since everyone else starts with autoinjectors, which are plenty useful at doing the same thing, more or less.

With how little fuel an emergency welder has, and only having a few wires in the wire stack, it'd only really be useful in repairing them enough to get to robotics, if they get heavily damaged. Plus, every other race aside from them has the ability to regenerate blood passively, so having them start with a bit of oil wouldn't hurt anyone. 

• Like 2

I think this is quite a neat idea too, considering IPCs are made of foil and fall over very easily. 10 Cable Coils, 50u of oil and an Emergency welder seems reasonable from what I can tell, and obviously that fancy glowstick.

1 hour ago, Drakeven said:

I think this is quite a neat idea too, considering IPCs are made of foil and fall over very easily. 10 Cable Coils, 50u of oil and an Emergency welder seems reasonable from what I can tell, and obviously that fancy glowstick.

That would be the equivalent of having brute packs, burn packs and 50u of blood in your emergency box, which would be unbalanced.

Edited by Gaty
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gaty said:

That would be the equivalent of having brute packs, burn packs and 50u of blood in your emergency box, which would be unbalanced.

I don't think it would be the same, and i got a number of reasons on why i think so:

1. Burn packs have a lot more healing potential for organics then 15 cable coils have for IPC.

2. While emergency welding tools can be easily refilled, they are only able to contain 10u of fuel at once, making the brute pack in emergencies more useful (it is called emergency box).

3. Brute and burn packs can be instantly applied, making it possible for you to heal faster than an IPC and making you able to do it while in motion.

4. IPC take 50% more brute and burn damage.

5. To not repeat myself on the oil, here you go:

On 9/14/2019 at 1:58 PM, quinta essentia said:

In my opinion 50 to 100u of oil, or even less, are not game changing at all, as the moment an IPC really needs oil is when they can't move a finger anymore. Furthermore there is only one oil tank on the whole station and IPC don't regenerate blood in comparison to most other races. Squishes being the only exception i can think of, but how many water tanks are there, more than twenty?

Oil is next to EMPs the greatest weakness to IPC, and the only way to compensate for it is to use this one tank in robotics, which blows up regularly, or to hope someone with access to chem dispensers is nice enough to make you some oil, in small quantities of course.

6. Organics can easily heal the same brute and burn damage an IPC can with an emergency welding tool and 15 cable coils by eating something [I am not too sure about that one, correct me if i am wrong].

I removed 5., as i only now realized that i meant it as a counterarguement and due to it being not really necessary, as it was intented to be a silly joke..
  • Like 1

You dont get medkits drop on your head when its emergency on an airplane, do you? Only oxygen, ESSENTIAL to survive. There is nothing essential ipc need to survive. It is the whole point of emergency kit. Also burn and brute kits cant be applied instantly, it takes as much time when used on yourself as with ipc patching itself.

Overall, 15 cables and emergency welder will save 0 lives of ipc and basically a waste of NT money. Its a lore-based point, but even from balance perspective... Without oxygen, human will die. If for example they arrive to station when atmos is unbreathable. IPC will not. Every other tool is easy to get 1 minute in the round. Welders, wires, medkits.

Ipc need that box for balance perspective (criminals can hide stuff there, since its a box everyone has, you have a small chance for it to not be searched, and for inventory management too). Again, i would like to see emergency autoinjector but for ipc, which like, reboots their system or overrides it so they have a bit more time before they drop on the floor and meet the inevitable death.

3 hours ago, quinta essentia said:

I don't think it would be the same, and i got a number of reasons on why i think so:

1. Burn packs have a lot more healing potential for organics then 15 cable coils have for IPC.

2. While emergency welding tools can be easily refilled, they are only able to contain 10u of fuel at once, making the brute pack in emergencies more useful (it is called emergency box).

3. Brute and burn packs can be instantly applied, making it possible for you to heal faster than an IPC and making you able to do it while in motion.

4. IPC take 50% more brute and burn damage.

5. To not repeat myself on the oil, here you go:

6. Organics can easily heal the same brute and burn damage an IPC can with an emergency welding tool and 15 cable coils by eating something [I am not too sure about that one, correct me if i am wrong].

I like the idea of oil- blood can be regenerated slowly, or at a faster rate with chemicals like saline or iron- or even you know with blood that can be grabbed in medical (or out of it if you know where to look) while with oil there are very few tanks and few if any are willing to make you some from one of the chems. As stated above, if you need oil its going to be an emergency since by that point you can barely, if at all, move. Welders and coil are a nonissue since you can get the latter especially in a lot of places.

IPC can live without a body, but they're not functional in the same way that ipc without oil are technically alive but they can't... actually do anything. That's a pretty big emergency.

50u oil or whatever small amount to make something useful in the emergency kit I think would be great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2019 at 8:15 PM, McRamon said:

Overall, 15 cables and emergency welder will save 0 lives of ipc and basically a waste of NT money.

It may not save anyones live, but will make some players rounds more relaxed. IPC players which joined late wouldn't have to worry about getting a welding tool and IPC are so fragile and their limbs so easily decapitated, that every little damage could decide wether one looses one's last arm while taking brute damage in crit or not.

I totally agree with Eight, and as i already stated, and will probably need to again, it was about the oil in the first place and the rest just a side idea.

Besides those two aspects i can agree with you on your other arguments. Some kind of emergency injectore would be great, however i heard the code for IPC is already 'noodles'/ a 'snowflake' code and this could just make things worse. On the part with the brute and burn packs i was certainly wrong, i didn't seriously play any organics for half a year now, making me not better than people arguing against IPC getting buffed without having ever played them.

Fixed a spelling mistake.

not to mention that Cargo/Robotics/Science/Engineering exists and each of these department more than likely have an autolathe and will provide welders/cables when asked.

Though a simple can of oil would be nice. As Oil is not that widely available.

(only via Chemistry or Robotics)

Edited by procdrone

I, honestly, have never been denied cable or a welding tool as an IPC. Even when people ask why, just telling them that you need it for healing yourself will be enough.

I also have always found welding tools, they are not super rare, they even spawn at arrivals.

Also having a welding tool that can practically be an infinite brute healing and also an easy tool for trespassing uppon spawning is a no no. 

17 hours ago, Gaty said:

I, honestly, have never been denied cable or a welding tool as an IPC. Even when people ask why, just telling them that you need it for healing yourself will be enough.

I also have always found welding tools, they are not super rare, they even spawn at arrivals.

Also having a welding tool that can practically be an infinite brute healing and also an easy tool for trespassing uppon spawning is a no no. 

I've been denied plenty of times
also if you manage to break into a place with only an emergency welder well.. good on ya

Welp. @Ionward graciously contributed some small sprite update to the box we're going to use.

I'll be trying to include the following set-up:

• 1x cable coil of 15 pieces each,
  • 1x emergency welder, 15 units,
  • 1x oil can 35 units (I think that's a pretty reasonable consideration, given how any other species doesn't get any means of restoring their blood)

I'll see to getting it done and PR'd in some forseeable time. Right now I'm tired.

Edited by kazboo

You spawn as an assistant near engineering and can weld down wall to tech storage right from the spawn. Nice

1 minute ago, McRamon said:

You spawn as an assistant near engineering and can weld down wall to tech storage right from the spawn. Nice

Make it reinforced walls, then no one will weld it down. /shrug

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use