mech nerf?

Taac

I believe mechs may need a nerf. Especially in maint. if there is a midround terror/xeno/blob and there are mechs 9 times out of 10 they will be dead within 5 mins. I believe mechs should move slower in maint tunnels and possibly have trouble navigating. possibly not even go into the maint tunnels unless someone tears walls down. because mechs are meant to be massive robots. I for one believe NT wouldn't make maint tunnels large enough for massive robots to walk down. possibly an upgrade to allow them in maints in exchange for one of their weapon slots possibly. or a new weaker mech that is smaller than the others so they can go into maints but not be as powerful? I'm just spitballing here honestly

TL:DR Mechs in maints are bad

I'll clean this up once I get some caffeine in me and stop being a morning zombie

Edited by Taac

Can't really do that as a blob though, a single durand can easily clear out a blob - Scatterblaster, self repair and melee armor = gg blob.

2 hours ago, Spacemanspark said:

Mechs are meant to be a powerful opposing force to deal with.
The answer is to zerg rush them, or simply not approach them.

the problem is mechs are powerful and honestly they are very easy to build.

19 minutes ago, Blessed said:

more power to mechs if they can take out blobs, most of the time if they arent a phazon or a gygax they're slow and easily out ran

in my 1000+ hours playing para i have seen a mech die to a blob twice

in my 1000+ hours of playing ive seen so many mech users be useless when chasing down a single traitor with a basic layout of the station, a counter to an antag shouldnt warrant a nerf, it should inspire new tactics from the antag

2 minutes ago, Blessed said:

in my 1000+ hours of playing ive seen so many mech users be useless when chasing down a single traitor with a basic layout of the station, a counter to an antag shouldnt warrant a nerf, it should inspire new tactics from the antag

then do you have an idea to buff blob, terror and xenos so mechs don't curb stomp them?

5 minutes ago, Blessed said:

fastmos the mech to death

concern5.png.c6193bb540ae00e258138601b8881035.png

I can say I have never seen a mech get fastmosed. ever. plus they have built in air tanks

Edited by Taac
  • Like 1

The only problem with mechs and blobs (which may have been fixed by now) was where you could spam the flashbang launcher without any cooldown and have a million flashbangs out and kill blobs, even big ones, extremely quickly. That is cheese and has hopefully been fixed by now. 

Other than that, I don't see mechs as needing nerfs. If any nerf came at all it should to slowing down the speed at which a mech could be repaired, rather than a direct nerf to its offensive and defensive abilities.

For certain antags such as xenos or terrors, they can make use of N2O canisters which will near instantly incapacitate the mech pilot if they don't have their internals set in advance, this not only impacts Mechs but standard crew as well, my best story of this is when the gamma durand pilot fell asleep before they even reached the problem.

Mechs are only as good as the individuals piloting them.

I've seen plenty of mech pilots who got absolutely wrecked by Spiders, Xenos, and Blobs either because they got careless or because of a superior tactic in handling the situation.

I've also seen the opposite since Spiders, Xenos,and Blobs are only as good as the player controlling them and sometimes you're just faced with someone who knows how to deal with you.

As a Queen of Terror I've been trounced on by a Durand because it happened to catch me in a long hallway and I ended up making a mistake. I've also blown up a Durand and Gygax before playing the same role when I had more space to maneuver and with backup from other spiders to help bring it down.

7 hours ago, Taac said:

in my 1000+ hours playing para i have seen a mech die to a blob twice

This almost entirely a problem with Blob being incredibly weak. Mechs are fine where they are, and most of the time they suck big dick because A) most people haven't piloted one before and b) most antags can outmanuever them quite easily unless said mech in question is a Gygax or Phazon. Not to mention ways to ensure Robotics can't even build them by sabotaging mining.

3 hours ago, Soapbar said:

This almost entirely a problem with Blob being incredibly weak.

I'd have to disagree there. Blob has been in a somewhat strong position I feel—far stronger than it used to be. Probably the strongest position its ever been in my memory.

34 minutes ago, Rurik said:

Probably the strongest position its ever been in my memory.

Absolutely...except maybe for when spores werecontagious and you ended up with 10 blobs.

Reflectives are a huuuge buff.

Mechs should remain powerful imo - they are very hard to pump out early in blob and xeno rounds. Midround antags getting mech stomped im fine with - its gives a good reason for the crew to have them. Midrounds are a good opportunity to use them well and be rewarded for building them. If a midround gets stomped thats fine imo.

Terrors and xenos can also quite easily avoid direct combat with them. A direct fight against a giant armoured mech covered in guns should be a bad idea.

6 hours ago, Rurik said:

I'd have to disagree there. Blob has been in a somewhat strong position I feel—far stronger than it used to be. Probably the strongest position its ever been in my memory.

Honestly there are a ton of problems with Blob ranging from the fact that it is a very weak antagonist (Blob basically only wins if the crew is stupid) to the fact that it's probably the least interesting antag to fight against, while also forcing the entire crew to drop what they were doing to go fight it. But this is a discussion for another thread. 

2 hours ago, Soapbar said:

Honestly there are a ton of problems with Blob ranging from the fact that it is a very weak antagonist (Blob basically only wins if the crew is stupid) to the fact that it's probably the least interesting antag to fight against, while also forcing the entire crew to drop what they were doing to go fight it. But this is a discussion for another thread. 

I think insulting the people who play against the blob just because the blob player is good at it/has the tools to resist the attack is pretty pretty rude.

if this thread is going to devolve into called blob players stupid or players against blob players stupid can we please just close the threat. I posted this for civil discussion not to insult eachother. 

To give some context in a militaristic perspective, Mechs are meant to be force multipliers. Similar to the Bradley and Abrams, solo they're vulnerable, but when supported by soldiers they provide excellent support.

Let's look at a Durand and Gygax's combat effectiveness against blobs, and terror spiders. I'm leaving xenos out of my discussion because I don't play them.

Durands are slow but well armored mechs and have a unique Defense Mode function. This means their best combat effectiveness is *supporting* a push, not frontlining it.

Gygax are fast, but not as well armored as a Durand, where they lack in defense they make up for in mobility. This type of mech can be used in front line as it as an ability to nope itself out of a bad situation provided it has an exit.

A blob is a stationary target, it's vulnerable to anything that is coordinated. Not to mention one of the greatest buffs blob has only works for energy based weapons, ballistics negate it entirely. I'd consider mechs a hard counter to blobs.

Terror Spiders are a threat to be feared however. They are mobile, they coordinate (or should), and in time have enough numbers to overwhelm most obstacles. They're at their weakest when they first start.

I don't believe mechs themselves need a nerf, like many things in the game, it takes skill and tactics to implement them properly.

No.

Mechs are one of the rarely used counters to whatever superfuckery the antagonists are up to. (Read blob getting out of hand, tatoraide murderbone permakilling with a chainsaw, terror spiders literally exsisting)

Yeah. I hereby say no to nerfing mechs.
Mechs are encountered rarely as is.

The worst part of facing a mech as a blob is the mech gets basically infinite ballistics, since it can "reload" with some energy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use