Tesla rework proposal

Sikroth

A concept for a potential rework of the Tesla engine, aimed to increase its danger levels while still keeping the "setup and forget" aspect. No code done yet because I'm lazy not an experienced coder.

Here is the idea:

The Tesla will generate a tremendous amount of energy. This is something it currently already does but for the purpose of this rework I think the power generated should scale exponentially. The charge level of the Tesla should also quickly go down though, to make the engine dangerous but still manageable.

This power can be generally controlled by setting the PA to a lower level, much like a singularity. I don't think we want to completely remove safe engine setups. However the power generated in this state should be considerably lower than before (maybe not even enough to power the station? TBH the station should use more power, or there should be a point to generating more power (techwebs cough cough), but that's beside the point).

The Tesla creates lightning arcs every time it jumps. These arcs should be entirely based off the Tesla's current charge level. Why? I want excessively charged Teslas to generate a true web of highly dangerous electricity. The specific implementation should be carefully considered, but I imagine an uncontrolled Tesla could cause arcs to sometimes travel and split a considerable way into the station.

To keep the Tesla from always frying everything and everyone, the engine is equipped with Tesla coils and Grounding rods.

Tesla Coils always absorb the arcs first, taking as much energy from the arc as they can (parts upgradable?). Coils are generally prepared to relay excess charge to other coils/rods, and will therefore never explode.

Then there's the Grounding Rods. They're designed to attract and trap loose arcs the Coils didn't absorb.  Lightning arcs that go past the Coils should be absorbed evenly by all the nearby Grounding rods, distributing the load. However, unlike the coils, a Grounding Rod will take damage when absorbing too much power. This should be a considerably high amount, but a number that a level 2PA can surpass. (maybe 1 too barely?).

(Maybe) Damaged rods could notify the engineering radio, alerting the engineers to immediately lower the PA settings and/or set up additional Grounding Rods to offset the load. (maybe) they could also be monitored from an engineering console/computer so a savvy engineer can detect overloads before they become an issue.

In the worst case scenario, a grounding rod will eventually explode. This is obviously bad, as it can damage containment and it also means other rods are more likely to explode soon, finally causing the tesla lightning arcs to freely travel through the entire hull of the station, heavily damaging machinery and people.

Considerations:

1. Making a huge ass lightning every time the tesla tick could be awful for performance. This is my main concern, as the other points of the proposal, while they'd take developement time, I think should be relatively feasible.

2. I am unsure if this rework would be a priority or even necessary when/if the SM engine update gets finally added. The tesla would likely be an alternative and not the main engine.

(Edit: this was supposed to go in the Suggestions Forum but I am apparently too dumb to do that sorry)

Edited by Sikroth
am dumb

4 hours ago, Sikroth said:

2. I am unsure if this rework would be a priority or even necessary when/if the SM engine update gets finally added. The tesla would likely be an alternative and not the main engine.

Absolutely not priority, can't say about necessary for the sm stuff but overall:

I like a lot of the theory here, but in the end it comes down to the issue of:

4 hours ago, Sikroth said:

TBH the station should use more power, or there should be a point to generating more power (techwebs cough cough), but that's beside the point).

the fact that there's really no point to having it up too high or anything, when a main engine isn't even really needed to power the station at all.

However the general idea of being able to turn an engine up to "dangerous" levels that can only be sustained with constant monitoring I really like.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use