Please make the Space-Law page accurate.

Nerfection

Hi all,

My last round as sec was more than the standard amount of harassment-receiving, as I didn't perma a prisoner for having C4, even though it is not S-class on the paradise Space Law wiki (Composition C4 is, but has a different name and looks different in-game). I had asked advice on this, but not been answered (due to the usual everyone's-super-busy-itis, so that's fine). I then got reamed by the HOS, Warder, CMO, Captain and the AI made a lovely station-wide announcement about 'Shitcurity' blaming us for...well...everything. I guess that these players are more experienced with ss13 than I am, and probably knew better, but it's really damn difficult to learn the game when the wiki isn't accurate, and experienced players just spam abuse rather than offering actual help or advice. I know there's a problem with retaining experienced players in sec, partly due to this - and I can see why.

I know this comes across as super-salty, but I am trying to be a fair and not-overharsh seccy, and stuff like this just makes it unrewarding and a pain.

Thanks for any help/advice/chocolate/insults about my mother.

Cheers everyone!

Nerf 

• Like 2

Space law is meant to be interpreted following its bases of course. If the wiki does not list any other composition c4 then it would probably be possession of a weapon, if you have any doubts regarding the wiki or space law and such, F1 mentorhelp, they will help you, if they don't answer, try submitting another ticket later.

Also shitcurity is a meme and sec in general is very frustrating to play sometimes because of the amount of shit you have to deal with, either you can stand the stress and have fun or you can't, burn out and stop playing sec.

• Like 1

I used to play a lot of security and its the only department where sometimes if you dont follow SoP you will get shit for it. Sometimes Space Law is hard to understand as well. In general the crew hates security as a lot can get you arrested and locked you away for part of the round.

For example if someone takes the Nuke from the Vault it is actually considered Grand Theft, even if the item does not appear on the Grand Theft Page. I was like 500 hours in at that point with most of my time in Security and I had to mentor help it, always use it if you are unsure.

To go back to your example try and see it from a RP perspective as well. Why does crew member from X department have c4 on them? This is something Station changing and you are low in the hierarchy, honestly ask the highest authority what the sentence should be.

• Like 1

Hi there! 

As someone who has done a lot of background work on or around sec, I get it. In this specific case you're actually correct to not perma someone for this sorta possession alone. A great example of this is energy verses powered crossbows, one is considered contraband the other is at best a weapon possession charge.

The wiki is written rather specifically for a reason and a lot of players fail to realize the importance in detail. Now, don't forget that the way in which you use an item can land you in perma as well. Class C contraband used for a major crime is insta perma worthy. Take the context of the situation into account and make a judgment call from there. 

My advice is that if you know you're right, show them in space law where you're right. IAA, the Magistrate, and to a lesser extent the NT Rep are all resources for that as well. Unfortunately, it's fun and easy to blame one guy in security even when it's not right to do so.

Just keep at it and become knowledgeable in Space Law and SOP so you can make them look dumb later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use