Da Dman234

angry_user

Admin(s) Key: Da Dman234
Your ckey (Byond username): Angry_User
Your Discord name (if applicable): n/a

Date(s) of incident (GMT preferred): 01/08/2019 ~23:40 BST

Nature of complaint: Feedback, abuse of powers, other
Links to all relevant ban appeals for any bans related to this complaint:

I'm not expecting it will get me unbanned. He definitely wasn't either, seeing as the ban message tells me he'll 'see me in admin complaints'.

Brief description (tl;dr here. Just the critical elements): Overzealous admin locks tunnel vision in on an alright player and demands submissive kowtowing in return for living a ban-free life, misinterprets events despite full log access presumably due to thirst for an opportunity to bring down the banhammer. More at ten.

Full description of events: I'd been going around the station as an assistant minding my own business when I saw a piece of paper on the presumably SSDed (I didn't check, but he was tucked away in the back) librarian's desk. I gave it a glance, clocked the word 'cum' and figured it was probably some badly written erotic fiction, Woody Got Wood style before clicking out of the window because I wasn't interested in reading it. I figured I'd pick it up and go burn it with a lighter but the bar's smoke machine wasn't there, so I started walking over to arrivals to see if there was another one there that I could use.

On the way I saw a little Vox shop and noticed he had a full toolbelt on sale, so I walked in and asked if he does barter. When he said yes, I asked if he'd take my little literary find as trade for the belt, placed it on the table, and was promptly refused. Fair enough. I took a welding tool from a nearby toolbox and burned the thing to ashes, as is only right. At this point a madman in a balaclava stormed in, blasted me with a stun shell and started dragging me to maintenance. I screamed over comms and managed to get away thanks to a lucky pressure imbalance. All's well that ends well.

Only it wasn't, because it quickly became clear that I'd drawn the ire of an admin. We had this exchange, which confused me a little seeing as he could have checked the logs for the culprit instead of insinuating I was producing smut:

PM from-Game AdminDa Dman234: Did you trick a Vox into reading an incredibly inappropriate paper you had written?

PM to-Da Dman234: didn't write anything, found some shit on the floor, saw the word 'cum' and tried to pawn it for a full toolbelt

PM to-Da Dman234: he said no so i burned it

PM to-Da Dman234: probably the curator wrote it since it was sitting on his desk

PM from-Game AdminDa Dman234: Curator?

PM to-Da Dman234: librarian you know what i mean

Nothing else for a little while until my assailant from before pops up again, this time blasting me with shotgun shells in the open and trying to garrote me, presumably to kidnap me once again. I blast what's going on over comms and dance around as best I can until backup arrives to take down this kidnapping ling, and we don't stop until he's dead since the only way to keep a ling down is to keep downing the ling. Suddenly I'm frozen, and yeah, I'm a little irritated about it. Who wouldn't be? In the middle of this chaotic situation, an admin is leaping in, casting time stop, resurrecting a guy (Richard Harrison, my assailant) who just tried to murder me and setting him loose while I'm left to waddle off to the medbay. So yeah, I got a tiny bit sassy.

PM to-Da Dman234: Why am I being frozen?

PM from-Game AdminDa Dman234: So, why did you just murder them outright?

PM to-Da Dman234: The guy was actively trying to murder me? He'd already kidnapped me to maintenance once and came back

PM to-Da Dman234: I mean, thanks for rezzing him and letting him get away and fucking me though, sterling work

PM from-Game AdminDa Dman234: Yeah. You're not supposed to be murdering anyone as a non-antagonist for any reason whatsoever, so you maybe wanna rethink that tone.

PM from-Game AdminDa Dman234: Especially since I JUST caught you with an obscene ERP paper and gave you the benefit of the doubt.

(I don't know why he needs to 'give me the benefit of the doubt' when he can presumably check these things, right?)

PM to-Da Dman234: I don't think self defense tends to be seen as murder when a guy's blasting you with stun shells and trying to garrote you, lol

PM to-Da Dman234: Yeah I know, you're watching me like a hawk because you think I'm shit. You'd be better off diverting your attention elsewhere.

PM to-Da Dman234: And I mean, why wouldnt I outright murder someone trying to kill me if there's changeling warnings about? The only way to keep them down is to continuously brutalise them

PM from-Game AdminDa Dman234: I'm going to make this very clear, you're not to be murdering anyone as a non-antagonist, understood?

PM to-Da Dman234: I'm not going to bow down to you in a deferential tone, either ban me for 'admin disrespect' or some other nebulous bogus or move on

At this point, I've made a bit of a mistake. D is presumably bouncing up and down in his chair happily upon seeing this reply, eager to point out how I gave him a multiple choice where one of the options is banning someone. Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, anyone could see what I was getting at here - and he did, just twisting it the way he did is more fun for him. So, of course, he bans me. Here's the message:

You have been banned by dadman234.
Reason: Asked to be banned after being someone to death AND being caught with an obscene ERP paper. Had a problem with my tone, well, you got your wish. See you in the admin complaints..

This complaint isn't really about whether I was acting fully within the constraints of the rules. I'll admit some ignorance to them, and I know that doesn't tend to fly as an excuse anywhere, online or off. Here's the thing: I never brought up his 'tone' here, but it's clear mine was on his mind when he banned me. Da Dman234's approach to administration is combative and hostile. He doesn't seem to see rational actors playing a game trying to have a good time, he sees toddlers who need to be corralled and smacked around for being naughty, spoken down to and chastised for their mistakes rather than informed of them. Players do not tend to react well to admins treating them like morons, demanding respect and doling out bans for not properly groveling.

I can't speak for the breadth of his interactions with players, but Da Dman234's focus seems to be on escalation, escalation, escalation as quick as he can get it. He seems to take pleasure in the hostility of it. He hasn't even got any illusions about where this ban's going, he invites me to take it to the complaints forum because, I don't know, then he gets to go through some wacky little drama circus. He wasn't interested in educating a player, having them recognize their mistake and making it right. He wanted an admin complaint and a peanut gallery, else a blubbering insincerely apologetic kowtow. Is this a reasonable way to administrate, or a goofy powertrip?

Can we get real, here? This is a game. Admins don't need to have this hamfisted approach to dealing with their players; if he'd been polite rather than curt and demanding of me I'd have been pleased to get some illumination on whether pummeling an active changeling to death flies within the scope of the rules. I'm happy to interact with admins that aren't commanding me to say 'Yes sir, sorry sir!!' As it stands all I know is I've been invited to come make an admin complaint before I've been invited to examine any potential wrongdoing.

In summary, Da Dman234 comes off as the kind of guy who's just super pleased to lord his position over players rather than acting in a way that might leave all parties better off. Happy to mash his bwoinks into people's screens in his best attempt at startling them then bandying words in a weird little power game rather than defusing situations, educating players, and being a positive presence. I think he should button up a little bit and not act like a chud.

And yeah, I get that he probably asked me to post here so that he could have a good laugh over it in Discord or something. I'm not bothered, crafting walls of text is enjoyable. Just not erotic fiction. That wasn't me D, check the fuggin logs.

Edited by angry_user
  • toolbox 1
  • Salt 1

I'd like to make an addition to this, since Big D's not interested in giving anyone a chance to respond to the shit he spouts on their appeals, so as to try and make them look bad. It's the reply I was gonna make to his post on my appeal, before he bluntly locked it out of nowhere.

That's an odd misrepresentation of my actions. 'Calling people gay'? Do you mean when I was desperately trying to avoid a medbot that'd been named 'if i inject u ur gay' on a trip to the medbay after being beaten on by a blatantly metacomming gang of a sec officer, his IA friend and a miner with only BOBO for a name, after I'd yoinked their guitar? You're citing incidents that are entirely dependent on the actions of other players. If you don't want reactions to the world as it's presented, then curate the world, right? Delete the medbot, get rid of the piece of paper. These are both within your power.

Edited by angry_user
  • stunbaton 1
  • toolbox 1

Right, so maybe don't misrepresent my actions to try and make yours look more reasonable if it's going to shut down the thread. You being too lazy to do more than skim the logs and zero in on anything you could interpret as 'tiding' is not my problem. The tidiest thing I did was disarm a guy for a guitar.

Edit: I really just don't appreciate this strategy - and it's a common one that I've seen on a bunch of other online communities - of trying to paint me as 'incompatible with the server' or some such. I'm extremely compatible with the server. I know roleplay, I can do it well. Past rounds I've had in my limited playtime here have been spent investigating and documenting the paranormal with a camera obscura, slapping together a crude space zoo in the library and other fun little roleplay gimmicks. This is why it's a bummer when someone comes along declaring that I don't mesh with the place because his particular approach to administration of talking down to the players doesn't sit right with me. I hardly think it sits right with anyone who's been subject to it. How about being courteous instead of hostile and confrontational, like you just found me with my hand in the cookie jar and need to give me a spanking? That tends to work better with adults.

Edited by angry_user
  • toolbox 1

Hi there.

First of all, when an admin tells you not to murder people as a non-antag (I.E., to follow the rules), you don't need to kowtow or bow down in a deferential tone. A simple "No worries" is all that's required. 

We bwoink a lot of people each day over various things, and generally get the response of "Ok I understand", and that's all that is asked for. 

When it comes to murder, the rules state:

Murder is not acceptable for non-antags. Killing should only be done in extreme self-defense, during an authorized execution, or in any situation Security can employ lethal force. If you wish to murder, or at least seriously injure, someone, Administrator permission is required;

Violence capable of inflicting serious damage to someone, especially anything that places them into a critical state, is reserved for Antagonists. Outside Self-Defense, this kind of violence is not permitted;

Self-defense is allowed to the extent of saving your own life. Putting someone into Critical Condition is considered self-defense only if they attempted to severely hurt/kill you. Preemptively disabling someone, responding with disproportionate force, or hitting someone while they are already down, is not self-defense;

If you're able to punch them 16 times with other people around, that's not self defence at all. Even if they were a ling (which they were not), non-security shouldn't be performing field executions - especially when they're wrong about the person being a changeling. 

I see nothing to show you being banned for "not properly grovelling". You told the admin to either ban you, or move on. Giving ultimatums like this is an incredibly bad idea. I see nothing demanding respect. No one is saying you need to say "Yes sir, Sorry sir!". That would in fact come off as incredibly insincere and strange. 

You were asked a question by the admin about you killing someone -  as is their job, and something that happens multiple times per day. You then proceeded to insult them. A lot of the exaggerated assumptions you make here such as him " bouncing up and down in his chair happily upon seeing this reply,", do not give the impression of someone who is willing to co-operate with the admins, and is operating in quite bad faith.

You've made a lot of assumptions here over a grand total of 6 PMs. You're trying very hard to come across as the victim of a power tripping admin, when all you were asked to do is not murder people as a non-antag. 

It seems you're bringing a lot of your issues you've had with other online communities here and projecting them onto the admins here. If this is a problem you're finding again and again in communities, I'd suggest you look at how you act.

What Da Dman did here is incredibly standard for all admins here. If that is not how you like a server adminned, then you're not compatible with this community. 

This complaintl is without merit and resolved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Abydos locked this topic