South / Engineering Remap

FreeStylaLT

Greetings! As you may or may not know, I have been working on an Engineering remap for the past couple of weeks. While it is functionally PR-ready, I felt like opening it up for additional feedback may be wise ahead of time. This is the full-view of the changes, courtesy of AffectedArc07's map image generator:

102.png

This remap is rather vast, extending from Arrivals, to Escape and down south into Engineering itself.

The goal here is to give Engineering a more cohesive structure and spreading out all the equipment in it more sensibly, to dedicated supply rooms or otherwise. Another goal was to make both the SM from Fox's port and the Tesling engine possible to use.

Beyond that, there were also some changes made to maint areas of the station, by adding a couple of new distinct areas, like a maint-garden and an abandoned robotics area.

Things of note:

• Arrivals' Auxiliary Storage has been moved to the public construction room in Engineering hallway
  • Mechanic has been moved to Escape
  • Arrival / Cargo / Engineering Maint-blocks have all been connected intl a half-ring. Consequently, Disposals has been moved deeper into maint.
  • While both engines can be used at once, at the moment only SM is prepared. There are no Tesla or Singularity beacons in this version, but that is likely to change by the time the PR is made.

Please share your thoughts! It is an extensive remap, so I could have easily missed, forgotten or overlooked some important things.

• Like 3

One thing that stands out to me is that Atmos is very hard to get at for non-engineering antags, since it doesn't border any public maints so you need to walk through all of engineering to get them. Imagine being an antag that has to kill an atmos tech that's piping stuff up in the big atmos room. On the other hand, I'm  not sure how to fix it, tbh.

6 hours ago, FreeStylaLT said:

Greetings! As you may or may not know, I have been working on an Engineering remap for the past couple of weeks. While it is functionally PR-ready, I felt like opening it up for additional feedback may be wise ahead of time. This is the full-view of the changes, courtesy of AffectedArc07's map image generator:

102.png

This remap is rather vast, extending from Arrivals, to Escape and down south into Engineering itself.

The goal here is to give Engineering a more cohesive structure and spreading out all the equipment in it more sensibly, to dedicated supply rooms or otherwise. Another goal was to make both the SM from Fox's port and the Tesling engine possible to use.

Beyond that, there were also some changes made to maint areas of the station, by adding a couple of new distinct areas, like a maint-garden and an abandoned robotics area.

Things of note:

• Arrivals' Auxiliary Storage has been moved to the public construction room in Engineering hallway
  • Mechanic has been moved to Escape
  • Arrival / Cargo / Engineering Maint-blocks have all been connected intl a half-ring. Consequently, Disposals has been moved deeper into maint.
  • While both engines can be used at once, at the moment only SM is prepared. There are no Tesla or Singularity beacons in this version, but that is likely to change by the time the PR is made.

Please share your thoughts! It is an extensive remap, so I could have easily missed, forgotten or overlooked some important things.

I'm not seeing a supermatter where there should be one in engineering, does it not show here or does cargo have to order it?

1 minute ago, FreeStylaLT said:

It's there in the chamber! The image seems to be a bit bugged, unfortunately.

If it's in the chamber, I have no quarrels with the remap, I love the new engineering , sci(?), and arrivals maintenance tunnels.

I figured I'd offer my two cents as a mapper from another server, and what some others offered of their input as well.
I've marked most of the issues with red and annotated. Hope this helps a bit.
Main issues I've noticed:
1) Disregarding Singulo/Tesla engine setup and pushing players to use SM seems to take more options away then open new ones.
2)Also not enough tesla coils in storage to produce enough power for station.
2)Engineering shuttle and AI sat access are super exposed to regular maint access.
3) Missing doors at assembly line,
4)Mech fabricator in maintence, just gives anyone the ability to make mechs. They are not access locked.
5) Missing lights in new maint areas?
6) Missing space loop by atmos,?
7) Missing engineering supply cart that carries materials.
8 ) [Forgot to mark this one]: Atmos checkpoint is... pointless? It's only use there is to sabatoge atmospherics, which is what it seems to be set up to do with the ports in the supply? I guess you could set up your own filter system to prevent atmos grief, but the atmos system outright bypasses the checkpoint as well, letting whatever is going through it to just go around it too.

PararemapEdits1.png

Edited by RadiantFlash
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Not sure If this is necro, but RadiantFlash brought up some good points, and I feel like some small tweaks could be done (If they haven't already).
I immediately noticed there's no space loop in atmos, and that made me sad. Seems to be a bit more space in Atmos too, which makes me happy.

On 7/23/2019 at 8:15 PM, RadiantFlash said:

I figured I'd offer my two cents as a mapper from another server, and what some others offered of their input as well.
I've marked most of the issues with red and annotated. Hope this helps a bit.
Main issues I've noticed:
1) Disregarding Singulo/Tesla engine setup and pushing players to use SM seems to take more options away then open new ones.
2)Also not enough tesla coils in storage to produce enough power for station.
2)Engineering shuttle and AI sat access are super exposed to regular maint access.
3) Missing doors at assembly line,
4)Mech fabricator in maintence, just gives anyone the ability to make mechs. They are not access locked.
5) Missing lights in new maint areas?
6) Missing space loop by atmos,?
7) Missing engineering supply cart that carries materials.
8 ) [Forgot to mark this one]: Atmos checkpoint is... pointless? It's only use there is to sabatoge atmospherics, which is what it seems to be set up to do with the ports in the supply? I guess you could set up your own filter system to prevent atmos grief, but the atmos system outright bypasses the checkpoint as well, letting whatever is going through it to just go around it too.

PararemapEdits1.png

I agree with this entire post, specifically "1) Disregarding Singulo/Tesla engine setup and pushing players to use SM seems to take more options away then open new ones."
What's the purpose of this? Why do we want players to run the SM? This server isn't aurora where high roleplay is rewarded or sought after, so only a handful of players who are likely not even all on at the same time nor doing engineering, would take the time to properly maintain the SM. This is a light-medium RP server that focuses, what I perceive, to me mainly on either causing chaos or fixing the chaos, and role play comes sparingly with it. If you don't have engine up and running in under 5 minutes people began calling out engineering and using derogatory words without any regard for the fact people may be roleplaying starting the engine, or just teaching someone new. So we're going to punish engineers by making them either do a lot of unnecessary work making a safe and reliable engine that complements the server greatly, or highly encourage them to use an extremely dangerous and unstable engine that no one wants to baby sit.

If we really want this change to have a more healthy impact, I think it should be the opposite. Have the particle accelerator set up, and then perhaps have them set up either tesla coils or w.e you need for singularity, within a 5-10 minute time spam. Then you can have the SM engine room but not set up, and needs to be, only for 'projects' or 'heavy roleplay' should the CE decide it's in his interest. But as of now focusing solely on the engine change, don't punish engineers please for setting up a tesla/singularity on a server like this. Engineering isn't fun because it's tedious, it's fun because you're fixing breaches, repairing broken airlocks/APCs, and making sure the air you breath is breathable. I doubt many engineers want to go through this hassle each and every shift start, nor do they want to baby sit a SM engine.

tl;dr just make tesla easier to set up and SM more disassembled. make em have to order the SM shard and give an RP incentive to doing so. as of now theres really no gameplay incentive to do the SM.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use