Melee viable on lavaland (movespeed change)

MrMagolor

Even with CornMyCob's PR that adds crusher trophies (which is still yet to be merged), the issue is that megafauna/player movespeed makes melee very unviable to use on lavaland. The issue is, you can't make it viable without increasing player movespeed (which is most likely widely opposed) or decreasing megafauna action speed (which is also a minor part of CMC's PR).

I just want to see: what is the community's stance on this?

You aren't supposed to engage megafauna in melee alone, not even an ash walker is...

If ash walkers are going to fight megafauna, they need to try and kite and throw spears (which does a decent amount of damage) and due to their speed, it is a doable task.

If you are wanting to fight megafauna in melee ( which you shouldn't ) then you will need a couple people, alternating holding the aggro, and although I have never seen someone try to do it, I'd imagine it would be possible to ping pong some of the megafauna, exceptions would be like the colossus, who I don't really see a viable method of engaging in melee combat.

1 hour ago, BeanOS said:

You aren't supposed to engage megafauna in melee alone, not even an ash walker is...

If ash walkers are going to fight megafauna, they need to try and kite and throw spears (which does a decent amount of damage) and due to their speed, it is a doable task.

If you are wanting to fight megafauna in melee ( which you shouldn't ) then you will need a couple people, alternating holding the aggro, and although I have never seen someone try to do it, I'd imagine it would be possible to ping pong some of the megafauna, exceptions would be like the colossus, who I don't really see a viable method of engaging in melee combat.

I'm saying even in a team. I can't close in and disengage fast enough to not get hit myself.

Also, "I shouldn't"? The entire point of this post is that it SHOULD be viable to fight megafauna in melee.

Edited by MrMagolor

I don't know where you're getting this idea that Lavaland is supposed to be fair and balanced, it's an extended gateway mission turned into a job and relies on players knowing exploits of SS13 mechanics to win. If you want to melee a megafauna you better be bringing as many stabilized legion souls as you can carry. 

• Like 1

Worth remembering that on /tg/ bone breaks aren't really a thing so being whapped once or twice is not an immediate death sentence.  That said, even over on /tg/ you'd really just be using the Crusher to get the killing blow, not fighting something the entire time with it.

Use the gun to do the bulk of the fight and when you think it's just about dead start using the crusher.  This is easier with a med-hud as it should so the boss' HP that way.

Megafauna are meant to be the ultimate encounters, high risk high reward. If you die your corpse is fuckin gone-zo, but the rewards for a kill can be great.  This ultimately means melee is never going to be perfectly viable, just because the damage required to make those monsters that much of a threat is going to make melee struggle to compete, and lowering that damage would make megafauna simply too easy for the rewards they dish out.
It's an unfortunate side effect but one I don't think that could be fixed without breaking other parts of it in worse ways.

8 hours ago, Dinarzad said:

Worth remembering that on /tg/ bone breaks aren't really a thing so being whapped once or twice is not an immediate death sentence.  That said, even over on /tg/ you'd really just be using the Crusher to get the killing blow, not fighting something the entire time with it.

Use the gun to do the bulk of the fight and when you think it's just about dead start using the crusher.  This is easier with a med-hud as it should so the boss' HP that way.

Megafauna are meant to be the ultimate encounters, high risk high reward. If you die your corpse is fuckin gone-zo, but the rewards for a kill can be great.  This ultimately means melee is never going to be perfectly viable, just because the damage required to make those monsters that much of a threat is going to make melee struggle to compete, and lowering that damage would make megafauna simply too easy for the rewards they dish out.
It's an unfortunate side effect but one I don't think that could be fixed without breaking other parts of it in worse ways.

Crusher trophies require you to do at least 50% of damage on a mob with the crusher.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:47 PM, MrMagolor said:

Crusher trophies require you to do at least 50% of damage on a mob with the crusher.

I don't think we have crusher trophies on para.

I haven't been able to find any reference of them in the code.

1 hour ago, BeanOS said:

I don't think we have crusher trophies on para.

I haven't been able to find any reference of them in the code.

Not right now, but we have a PR up to add them in.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use