You should be able to disable speakers on IntelliCards

MrMagolor

Recently, I had a traitor round ruined due to the AI beeping. Which raises the question: why can't you disable an intellicard's speakers like a robo-brains? This seems easy enough to add, but I'd like to discuss it here first.

Because the AI is vastly more different/ difficult than the posibrain, it's a giant role in the game and taking it away can be a rather big blow.

Just now, Spacemanspark said:

Because the AI is vastly more different/ difficult than the posibrain, it's a giant role in the game and taking it away can be a rather big blow.

On the other hand, it pretty much necessitates having to buy a storage implant. And you can already turn off its radios anyways- why would speakers be much more different?

1 hour ago, Spacemanspark said:

It necessitates skill.

It's not meant to be easy.

Are you implying that getting the AI on the card in the first place is?

Eh I don't much mind the beeping/talking. The ability for them to call the borgs to their location at all times (as I understand it, at least) in binary chat hurts, though. Since the borgs will try to kill you 9 times out of 10 regardless of their laws, you will be forced to kill the borgs as well. Thats all well and dandy, till I'm forced to blow all the borgs at the RD console and then I feel bad about ruining their rounds via "ha you exploded guess you hope someone walks by and gives you to the roboticist and not just stick you in their pocket for the rest of the round."

36 minutes ago, MrMagolor said:

Are you implying that getting the AI on the card in the first place is?

The hard parts always been keeping the AI in your possession, never getting in. Though to be fair if you don't go the thermite/vampire mist route or the bit more risky desword strat, it can be fairly hard as well.

38 minutes ago, Rurik said:

Eh I don't much mind the beeping/talking. The ability for them to call the borgs to their location at all times (as I understand it, at least) in binary chat hurts, though. Since the borgs will try to kill you 9 times out of 10 regardless of their laws, you will be forced to kill the borgs as well. Thats all well and dandy, till I'm forced to blow all the borgs at the RD console and then I feel bad about ruining their rounds via "ha you exploded guess you hope someone walks by and gives you to the roboticist and not just stick you in their pocket for the rest of the round."

The hard parts always been keeping the AI in your possession, never getting in. Though to be fair if you don't go the thermite/vampire mist route or the bit more risky desword strat, it can be fairly hard as well.

If you do that then the AI will still be on your ass and you can forget hiding anyways.

Capturing the AI is hilariously easy, especially for a syndicate agent. I can give an absurd list of simple ways to capture one from its satellite.

If you don't want it blurting everywhere about its presence to borgs, you can always subvert it or fly into space for a time.
You also don't have to capture it the moment the round starts either--especially paired with a well made freeform/ hacked law, you have plenty of time to storm the satellite. It's a very rare round that the satellite is so much as given a single door as an upgrade to its meager defenses.

The objective isn't meant to be easy in the slightest, as you're stealing a giant station element. This isn't akin to stealing a positronic brain.

This isn't even beginning to talk about the ability to create a new AI, which is trivial for roles such as a scientist or engineer. 

From the point of view of a antag deactivating the comms of a  AI is convenient. He can't  make announcement/ Talk throught radio/PDA message. He can only in robot talk and around of him. 

Point of views of a AI : If you card him while his core is depowered. He is totally blind can't do nothing except talk in robot talk or around him. If he has laws preventing ratting out traitor like crewsimov he can't do nothing much  except waiting in closet/other areas while chatting with borg. 

Now if you remove the ability of speaking from a AI in a intelicard that hyper convenient for the traitor but in other side the AI can only wait and do nothing for the rest of the round. (Bonus point if you card a AI while his core is depowered as that make him blind).  It's like removing the ability to talk of a possesed blade of the Chaplain. Nobody want play a mute sword able to only watch. I would rather stay as ghost.  😛

@MrMagolor

Grabbing the AI at the start of the round, like you did in your example, was pretty crappy imo, you blinded and imprisoned someone with the intent for them to remain that way for an entire round, and the price for that is that you have to then struggle to keep said AI contained.

The later into the round you take the AI, the easier it will be to get away with should you succeed.
Trying to just mute people and have them trapped like that all round, without even the dead to talk to, is unacceptable.

• Like 1

The issue is that the objective you get is random. You shouldn't HAVE one of the hardest possible objectives forced on you randomly.

Not to mention that not everyone is capable of being a very good antag! Yet because of the rules there isn't much we can do besides our job or objectives.

Edited by MrMagolor

3 minutes ago, MrMagolor said:

The issue is that the objective you get is random. You shouldn't HAVE one of the hardest possible objectives forced on you randomly.

You can always ahelp that, admins are usually chill about minor changes like that, at the end of the day they want people to enjoy themselves and perform actions that entertain.

The idea of silencing an AI like that, is the exact opposite to entertainment, it is akin to "cyborg hell", the state of being a cyborg with no power cell for an extended period.
At that point you have only one option, to ghost, which then locks you out of doing anything else.

2 minutes ago, BeanOS said:

You can always ahelp that, admins are usually chill about minor changes like that, at the end of the day they want people to enjoy themselves and perform actions that entertain.

The idea of silencing an AI like that, is the exact opposite to entertainment, it is akin to "cyborg hell", the state of being a cyborg with no power cell for an extended period.
At that point you have only one option, to ghost, which then locks you out of doing anything else.

Not to mention that, afaik, a "functional AI" would only count if the AI was, you know, functional.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only got the capture the AI objective once, and while I did pull it off, I do have to admit it was the least fun of all the objectives i have got (Minus the inital rush of a plan coming together)

Getting it was fairly easy, though i got pretty lucky that my plan worked: Cut 2 layers deep into far rear of AI sat, plant Syndicate Bomb, wait for explosion to GUT the entire AI cores zone including all its turrets, run up and card, fly out.  Then by fluke ended up drifting through space for an hour and a half talking with the AI as we tried to find our way back.

Overall the concept of "You completed your objective, but now you cant do anything for 1 and a half hours lest you be caught and more or less no amount of being sneaky will prevent this" isn't really appealing to me and in the future I may Ahelp a change in objective if i do get it again.

Side Note: If the AI is stuffed into a storage implant, can they still alert people to your location or talk?

If not, that REALLY is a terrible thing to do to a player, an AI in that situation may as well just Ahelp and request a respawn because they are done for that round.

Instead of forcing the ai player to be passive for the remaining round, why not integrate it into it?

As a suggestion, how about a for traitors purchasable uplink item (most likley too bulky to carry in a bag) that can have a carded ai inserted and have it become a syndie ai instead.

Of course that syndie ai wouldn't have access to most of the stations machinery but it would have a full list of all active syndicate agents their names, objectives and the option to talk to those agents privatly (pda messages would probably suffice) and at least camera access.

Maybe even a coms line to the lavaland syndie research outpost ... that way the ai could relay information to them too and coordinate with the syndie telecomms agent (if present) to cause elaborate distractions.

Now the ai player has something to do instead of being forced to only scream for help for the remainder of the round and the syndie operative has to consider the tradeoff of risking to lose the ai (in case someone finds it's uplink) to in turn offer his traitor buddies a very powerfull eye in the sky and intelligence source.

And for the station the loss of an ai suddenly actually becomes noteworthy ... other than the fact that your favourite door opener is no longer avaliable.

The best part about it is that i think most of the functionality is already in place and more or less coded as the syndie telecomms agent spawn.

Edited by Jamuro
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use