welding majority of vents

ID404NotFound

I would like to see a system where if most of the station's vents are welded shut, the pressure in distribution builds up and starts to pop random vents to release pressure. A counter to this could be atmos paying attention to the conditions of the system and manually releasing pressure, or lowering pressure, etc. Or at least something that balances this. I haven't thought too far, but wanted to put the suggestion in.

• Like 1

The only way I could see this happening is if you went in and actually coded a pressure limit on the vents. Im not sure how easy that would be as it would be completely new and effecting a core system of the game. 

I'd personally rather not have a buff to xenos/terror spiders, as this'd effectively be what this would be in the long run, even if it would be a little nice flavor bit. It'd make it harder for crew to keep a handle on them than it already can be, unless of course the limit took a while to happen.

It's definitely only in mind for cases where power players immediately weld literally every vent on station, which is a rare occurrence. Like I said, haven't thought too far on it, but wanted opinions

Could be useful for that in that case yeah. Could actually see it being interesting in general. Maybe something else for atmos to monitor? A way for them to 'ease the pressure on the vents' via a command on the atmos console/finetuning them? Would be more for atmos to do in the long run, which lets be honest here, they often really need more to do. 

yeah, mainly wanted a new meter for atmos to handle, with some kind of reprocussions for not keeping it maintained. It's not entirely about making entry points for ventcrawlers (honestly was just thinking about minor ones like morph, and blob mice who are unfortunate to be right after a spiderling scare). The big issue is that it would involve changing how pressure in pipes work, how to check for these pressure problems and how to manifest them. It'd even be interesting if certain pipe junctions or spots get affected as well, either busting off in maints, or breaking elsewhere and exposing it from tile. Another meta thing I wish a new system could be used to adjust is that some people have had the idea that to counter vent crawlers, just unwrench pipes in key crossing points.

• Like 1

While a sort of cap on max welded vents would be nice in theory, I feel it'd end up pushing more people towards unwrenching pipes instead, which is a meta I really dislike.

It would be nicer to see some greater long term harm from welded vents, but we'd never really see it due to most vent-welding events happening in the last 30 minutes of a round. Might make round-start vent threats a more interesting round type.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pckables said:

While a sort of cap on max welded vents would be nice in theory, I feel it'd end up pushing more people towards unwrenching pipes instead, which is a meta I really dislike.

It would be nicer to see some greater long term harm from welded vents, but we'd never really see it due to most vent-welding events happening in the last 30 minutes of a round. Might make round-start vent threats a more interesting round type.

yeah, unwrenching a pipe to cause a ventcrawler to pop out, with the most negative effect just being the possible pressure release from the pipe smacking you back (which is avoidable) is something I wish could be reworked, so that messing with pipes was either dangerous, or had an effect that negated the gain of trying to block ventcrawlers via powerplay

3 hours ago, ID404NotFound said:

yeah, unwrenching a pipe to cause a ventcrawler to pop out, with the most negative effect just being the possible pressure release from the pipe smacking you back (which is avoidable) is something I wish could be reworked, so that messing with pipes was either dangerous, or had an effect that negated the gain of trying to block ventcrawlers via powerplay

Is there a reason cut and uncapped pipes don't constantly release gas stored in the pipes? Wasn't that a feature that was removed at some point way long ago?
Having it so cutting air pipes creates a massive, high pressure vent that super-pressurizes the area would be a good deterrent to cutting the pipes.

9 hours ago, Pckables said:

Is there a reason cut and uncapped pipes don't constantly release gas stored in the pipes? Wasn't that a feature that was removed at some point way long ago?
Having it so cutting air pipes creates a massive, high pressure vent that super-pressurizes the area would be a good deterrent to cutting the pipes.

The problem then is balancing that destructive force of over pressure (or even under pressure for a waste loop that won't stop sucking). Explosions or sabotage purposely causing this would require a smoother way for atmos to identify and correct these issues.

For supply pipes atmos could just keep pressure at one atmos in the network, that would prevent supply pipes from leaking at all.

Waste would be a bigger problem as we dont have overflow valves ro make it easy to keep waste working and at 1atmos. Also if we needed so syphon a plasma fire or something it would leak through waste breach. 

32 minutes ago, Calecute said:

For supply pipes atmos could just keep pressure at one atmos in the network, that would prevent supply pipes from leaking at all.

Waste would be a bigger problem as we dont have overflow valves ro make it easy to keep waste working and at 1atmos. Also if we needed so syphon a plasma fire or something it would leak through waste breach. 

If supply was same pressure as ambient room, that would mean in normal world situation that there is no airflow 🤔

Edited by ID404NotFound

Yeah you don't need airflow if ambient pressure is 1 atmos. You just need airflow if room is under 1 atmos. Also the vents are not passive, they actively pump, so you can get airflow if you want even with supply at 1atm.

6 minutes ago, Calecute said:

Yeah you don't need airflow if ambient pressure is 1 atmos. You just need airflow if room is under 1 atmos. Also the vents are not passive, they actively pump, so you can get airflow if you want even with supply at 1atm.

But how does this help stopping people cutting pipes to stop ventcrawlers?

Main thing is making a system that requires maintenance and care from atmos, less set n forget stuff, on top of trying to squeeze some variability with ventcrawlers, though it doesn't need to necessarily come into play often, as they need not be unstoppable

• 2 weeks later...

there are plenty of atmos players who would move back into the role if it offered some more complexity and things to do. Usually people who are interested in atmos learn it all, and then decide there's nothing left to do, since it's not very variable.

edit: or they want to deal with atmos problems (fire/breaches) and find that engi/borg/drone cuck them

Edited by ID404NotFound

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use