MAJOR: SEC Smartguns

Dr. Farson

As we all know, sec is long overdue for a major update, so here it is.

THE IDEA

My proposed change is that we a modified version of Baystation 12's compact smart guns, as the primary firearm for security personnel. I would like to point out as a disclaimer, that this is not intended to persecute antags, or make their job harder than it already is. It is intended to reduce the amount of shitsec by allowing kill access on guns to be REVOKED if a security member has misused a weapon.

The compact smart gun is a gun that requires you to swipe your ID on it to activate it. The smart-gun by default has disable, and shock (of which, shock mode can be disabled remotely). Using the same remote console, you can enable kill mode, removing the need for multiple guns. Basically, it is a gun that has disable, taser, and an optional kill mode that is enabled via the warden's or HoS' console.

THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN NERFED FROM THE DEFAULT BAY12 SMARTGUN

I am also aware that there are many people who will be opposed to a card activated gun, so I have proposed some nerfs. Firstly, the kill laser would be 20% weaker than your standard laser gun found in the armoury. The power to fire a kill shot would be slightly less energy than firing a taser shot, allowing for 5 kill shots at maximum charge, 4 taser shots, and however many disabler shots there normally are. The gun will not require sec access to use the gun, rather you need said access to simply activate it. Once activated, anyone can use the gun, however, it's taser and kill modes can be deactivated if foul play is suspected. The disabler function cannot be disabled unless the user manually resets the user authorization.

SUGGESTIONS WELCOME, CODERS AND SPRITERS NEEDED

This idea is a WIP, so I am currently looking for coders and spriters to make it happen. I am also open to suggestions to improve upon this idea, but I do ask that if you dislike the idea, tell me what I could do to improve upon it and give constructive criticism.

• Like 1
  • stunbaton 2

Yeah no, I don't like this idea at all. giving security basically an energy gun instead of the standard hybrid taser(hell this is kind of approaching AEGs levels actually considering it'd have disable stun AND kill) at round start and ontop of that making it ID locked so its useless to anybody but the persons gun? Seems like a stupid buff to an already strong security force that has one-shot to down tasers and one-click to down batons

Edited by Coul

Guns themselves should never be ID locked at all. I have the same issue with firing pins (which we've thankfully never ported).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coul said:

Yeah no, I don't like this idea at all. giving security basically an energy gun instead of the standard hybrid taser(hell this is kind of approaching AEGs levels actually considering it'd have disable stun AND kill) at round start and ontop of that making it ID locked so its useless to anybody but the persons gun? Seems like a stupid buff to an already strong security force that has one-shot to down tasers and one-click to down batons

Actually, you wouldn't have kill at round start. It would require authorization from a warden to enable it. Sorry if that wasn't clear

5 hours ago, Spacemanspark said:

Guns themselves should never be ID locked at all. I have the same issue with firing pins (which we've thankfully never ported).

Firing pins are more of a nerf to emags on TG than they are making guns ID lock, cuz on TG guns dont come printed in lockboxes they just come without a firing pin and the most common pin is the electronic one which just lets anyone fire it. Mindshield firing pins are a pretty high level tech that like never gets researched

Edited by SkeletalElite

3 hours ago, Dr. Farson said:

Actually, you wouldn't have kill at round start. It would require authorization from a warden to enable it. Sorry if that wasn't clear

That doesn't really stop warden/HoS from giving it out at round start, or very early on especially if they have reason to believe theres a changeling threat or something that requires lethals. This actually hurts antags bigtime considering they don't get that extra preparation time that sec uses to run back to armory this can be really bad in conversion shifts like cult or shadowling when the officer can just yell "LETHALS NOW" and go to town

6 hours ago, Spacemanspark said:

Firing pins are great, if you want to print a new gun, or find one that is locked, you have a choice of emaging a test range pin, stealing the basic pins from sec or printing the mindshield pin and then obtaining a mindshield implant(steal it, buy it or extract it from a corpse)

Or, if you are a clown, TC trade for the dangerous clown firing pin which not only makes the gun honk for each shot and removes the clumsy check, it also detonates its internal nitrobananium charge if any non-clown tries to fire the gun.

That is a more interesting system than requiring sci & armoury access or an emag.

Then again, just because something works /tg/ doesn't mean it will work on paradise.

There's a longstanding bar on certain firing pins as implemented by TG.

We're okayish with the entry level concept of some guns being pinless, by default (for instance, ones produced by R&D), but we're not keen, at all, on things like mindshied firing pins.

We're hypothetically ok with nukies also having firing pins, but that's still up for debate.

The overall firing pin system has good aspects about it, but the one we're most skeptical of is the mindshield one.

This seems, to me, to be a side-step from the mindshield firing pin, so color me extremely skeptical.

This system also assumes the HoS and Warden aren't just going to unlock all the guns by default--after all why not? "Just in case".

Edited by Fox McCloud
  • Like 1

While i like the intent of this, by far the biggest problem ive seen as an admin from sec is the old harmbaton, not lasers. Quite literally at least 10x more problems with harmbatons over lasers. 

Shotguns are also super deadly and cause ff issues with buckshot.

For actually deadlyness a tazer followe by harmbaton is generally much more effective against the clown. Lasers themselves are generally best against blobs, xenos, etc.

• Like 1
  • stunbaton 1

I`ve played Bay.

Safe to say, despite regulations, as soon as you pull out a mildly threathening cigar (Bay has concealed syringe guns that looks like a cigar) near one, a lethal is coming your way very fast.

However, due to the RP standards, its most likely going for the hand holding the cigar rather than your head

Still, its always ON.
"Just in case"

And that`s Bay, now look at Paradise, where i`ved been attempted cremated for "Might" being a changeling thanks to a welder shield implant.
People meta, powergame and validhunt VERY hard on Para, sad to say.

This is in stark contrast to Bay where i can hold a officer at gunpoint and noone magically pulls an AEG out of their ass to valid me.

I like the concept but, it only really works if the majority of your player base who like to play Security are responsible enough not to abuse it and frankly some days I wouldn't trust Security with an uncomfortably warm piece of toast much less the equipment we have for them now.

Nice idea but it falls under the category of "This is why we can't have nice things."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use