Include flogging as punishment into space law

Landerlow

My idea is to include flogging as a punishment for certain crimes instead of brig time. The amount of flogs would be proportional to the severity of the crime(s) committed. Security would always have the option to deny it and have people serve brig time instead.  I would also propose public flogging in front of the bridge, or in the bridge, for people to watch, to entertain the crew. 

Have the magistrate and the HoS/Warden start with a whip at roundstart. 

Having flogging instead of jail time would make security run smoothly at times and would make processing faster. We could make a holodeck option for a 'flogging arena', with benches and everything, where people could watch it. The flogging would happen with an actual whip though. 

Overall I think this is a great idea to boost crew morale, provide stress-relieving activities for security officers, provide alternative punishment options and make security run smoother by having to waste less time with brigging, keeping watch and all that stuff. 

EDIT: Slight change: FLOGGING ONLY FOR MINOR (class 1) crimes. Class 2 and up still get brig time.

Edited by Landerlow
Slightly changed suggestion, see edit line
  • clown 1

As amusing as it may be the first time, this isn't appropriate. Needless to go into all the roleplay reasons that this isn't appropriate, as well as all the potential rule situations this might touch upon, the mere end result is they'd always ask for a flogging since straight brute damage is easy to fix.

Flogging at the discretion of security in the end. Security could always refuse and do jail time instead. It should be optional, not mandatory. OR Make it so only the magistrate has the power to order a flogging. Or caning or whatever. This would be doable, the magistrate spawns with a telescopic baton. It would be a good 'lesson' for minor offenders. To be fair, brigging someone for five minutes for a crime is often more hassle than it's worth. 

You're also on a science station, time is short, staff is often sparse and not always able to constantly keep watch on prisoners in the brig sufficiently. It would also give people less incentive to just go SSD/suicide in some cases.  And what with the way NT acts (strict, authoritarian, etc), this would also not be far-fetched at all.

With the implementation of the new medical (if it gets implemented), this would also be good because it would make damage more significant. 

It'd kinda half of a joke really. Like, I would like to see some variety in punishments, if possible. It just feels so dull at times, especially for MINOR crimes.  The minor 5-minute crimes are more hassle than it's worth, when it comes to processing, bringging, etc. 

• Like 1

I like the idea. Also flogging has a proud tradition in the navy. 

The good thing about flogging, in addition to the event of a public flogging, is that it allows sec to basically let someone go, but also punishing them. I've frequently seen sec just wanting to let someone go with a slap on the wrist, but feeling they couldn't or shouldn't. Flogging lets them literally let people go with a slap on the wrist if they feel like it. (althou you need a generous interpretation of "slap" and people probably shouldn't be flogged on the wrist tbh).

For the MINOR crimes ONLY for example, it would certainly be doable. For class 2 and up, brig time is actually worth it.

Let's change this discussion to: FLogging as a possible sentence for MINOR crimes.

In my opinion the Magistrate's role should never include administering punishment, especially corporal punishment.

They're a bureaucrat, a scholar, and a paper pusher.

Once sentenced the Magistrate leaves it to Security to carry out the sentence as laid down and afterwards their involvement in the situation ends. So yes, I'm quite obviously against the addition of a whip or cane to administer flogging.

I'll also echo the sentiments of Spartan and Spark, its quite inappropriate, defeats the purpose of the Legal System if you can get off with some lashes only to immediately be healed of your wounds in Medbay or by the Brig Physician after its over.

Rules side, we'd end up with players who'd flog an individual to death, whether for kicks or because they don't realize it's too much, and then they'd end up in trouble because of it.

So no, just a hard no from me on this idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sihsse Zsak said:

In my opinion the Magistrate's role should never include administering punishment, especially corporal punishment.

They're a bureaucrat, a scholar, and a paper pusher.

Once sentenced the Magistrate leaves it to Security to carry out the sentence as laid down and afterwards their involvement in the situation ends. So yes, I'm quite obviously against the addition of a whip or cane to administer flogging.

I'll also echo the sentiments of Spartan and Spark, its quite inappropriate, defeats the purpose of the Legal System if you can get off with some lashes only to immediately be healed of your wounds in Medbay or by the Brig Physician after its over.

Rules side, we'd end up with players who'd flog an individual to death, whether for kicks or because they don't realize it's too much, and then they'd end up in trouble because of it.

So no, just a hard no from me on this idea.

Wolf could use the whip

9 hours ago, Calecute said:

I like the idea. Also flogging has a proud tradition in the navy. 

The good thing about flogging, in addition to the event of a public flogging, is that it allows sec to basically let someone go, but also punishing them. I've frequently seen sec just wanting to let someone go with a slap on the wrist, but feeling they couldn't or shouldn't. Flogging lets them literally let people go with a slap on the wrist if they feel like it. (althou you need a generous interpretation of "slap" and people probably shouldn't be flogged on the wrist tbh).

Why not just give people a slap on the wrist then? I've had plenty of cases as a warden where I just told people to be nice and not do it again for 5 minute crimes like very minor battery or trespass. 

• Like 1

Yeah no, even a passive reading of space law and Security SOP and you get the gist that Security is to use physical violence only as a last resort and even executing a criminal who has committed multiple murders or devastated the station with sabotage still requires security to go through the proper channels to get approval, premature executions can result in demotions or incarceration even if they would have been justified had security just waited for the verdict.

Adding flogging or any other form of beatings and corporal punishment sends a signal in the opposite direction that security can and should act like brutes who legal threaten beatings and carry them out with no repercussions. If we are going to allow that we might as well remove security as a whole, make the armory and brig cells command access and allow lynching when ever greytide desires. Cause that's the exact direction you'll be taking the community if you go through with this.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the only flogging that should occur on station is the Captain 'disciplining' the HoP with the Chain of Command for opening multiple high priority clown slots.

1 Honk = 1 Lash

• clown 4

• 2 weeks later...

I am Ninety Percent sure that this will quickly devolve into using flogging for every last minor crime in an attempt to "Accidentally" kill the flogging victim. Plus, this will also either result in a lot of long term injuries, or, if medical actually does their jobs, a metric fuckton of workload on medical

Plus, We already have the warden breaking the clown's ribcage enough when it's illegal.What the fuck will happen when flogging is legalized?

This is so immature that it can probably be used as a punishment and fit the situation if it was used against greytiding meme clown. And stuff like this breaks my immersion so hard, that, while it is hillarious and can be done lets say once in a week, i am strongly against it to be official punishment

I wish the chain of command used in disarm intent would not break bones, cause bleeding, etc. I prefer brandishing it against ne'er do wells, rather than giving it to science.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 1:20 AM, ID404NotFound said:

I wish the chain of command used in disarm intent would not break bones, cause bleeding, etc. I prefer brandishing it against ne'er do wells, rather than giving it to science.

The issue is that the only other way to get combat 6 is through deathnettles, and MAYBE some syndicate equipment/trader items:  while botany already makes glowshrooms/glowcaps/gaia, needing to rely on them even MORE for R&D is annoying. It would be nice if it was tied to a different department instead.

2 hours ago, MrMagolor said:

The issue is that the only other way to get combat 6 is through deathnettles, and MAYBE some syndicate equipment/trader items:  while botany already makes glowshrooms/glowcaps/gaia, needing to rely on them even MORE for R&D is annoying. It would be nice if it was tied to a different department instead.

Super secret combat 6 tip: Acquire bananium and make a honk mortar, they have combat 5 and thus can get you combat 6. Easiest way for that is breaking into clown's office to steal the clown statue.

• honk 1

4 hours ago, TDS said:

Super secret combat 6 tip: Acquire bananium and make a honk mortar, they have combat 5 and thus can get you combat 6. Easiest way for that is breaking into clown's office to steal the clown statue.

That feels way more powergamey than the chain does, though.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use