Blueshield Buff

Jr1423ye

Hello, I recently found out that back in the day the Blueshield had CQC before it was nerfed. I propose we bring it back and allow to Blueshield to have CQC, either in glove form like the Warden or just inherently known. I think we should implement this because the Blueshield is a highly trained bodyguard sent directly from centcomm. They are someone who has undergone extreme training in order to protect heads in the most hostile environments, it does not make sense to me that they don't know some form of martial arts. It is a karma bought job so the likelihood of abuse is lower I would imagine, for some people 30 karma is impossible to get. Anyways, I think this would be a great improvement and provide more roleplay aspects, being able to grab someone who runs straight for the captain with a knife or some such. Not having to rely on your advanced stun revolver and the likes. Make the Blueshield great again!

If you have something to add please do, hopefully, we can get this added.

• Like 7

Also in favor of this.

I think there's pros and cons to having a glove form - it means making the Blueshield a possible target for his gloves via traitor objectives, and that adds more variety to traitor goals, not a bad thing.

On the downside, he may become too much of a target for traitors (to those who don't even have him as a target) and might want his gloves for CQC, and he's already a prime target for the captain's spare that he may or may not have. Blueshields are easier to lure out than Captains.

I think I would prefer to have the Blueshield inherently know the martial arts rather than a set of gloves for this reason. He's suppose to protect the heads of staff, not walk around with a big bullseye painted on his back because he's a loot pinata and end up becoming a far more tempting target than those he's assigned to protect. 

• Like 3

I have no idea who said it but I could have sworn I saw people talking in dead chat about BlueShield having CQC. Or some form of Martial arts. Also I think a choice would be a good idea, Martial Arts or the gun type thing. Depending on how you want to play, then there is some variation in BlueShield playstyle

Edited by Jr1423ye

It would be strong yes so some tweaks might be needed but I don't think it would be that hard for the devs to implement. Seems to be mostly positive support for the idea. Does anyone have suggestions on how to balance it?

This sounds great, because the current way the blueshield is makes it very underwhelming and it makes you feel like a glorified baby sitter. Who ever said smashing spines wasn't the way to protect the captain from the clown using a jaunter to get onto the bridge. I think blueshield should get the whole arsenal of Prosthetic internal arm blade, reinforced limbs and torso, and a Typhoon Explosive System (DXHR) for dispatching an entire room of threats on spawning. Also he should spawn with thermals.

2eb.jpg

• clown 2

Honestly think this'd be a good idea too. It would make playing Blueshield more fun imo than basically being a security officer that sits on the bridge and gets lethals + a holster at roundstart. CQC itself requires good timing and mechanical knowledge to fully employ as well, and you can easily just get your ass meme'd by a traitor if they have any form of ranged weapon or stun or slip. Shouldn't be too hard to add as an inherent spawn in option either rather than gloves or a manual.

Alternatively if it is hard...just...give them a manual on spawn.

• Like 1

This sounds like it’d be fun, though I can imagine the validhunting might get annoying. The option to choose starting equipment might be a good way to go, though a lot more involved.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jr1423ye said:

Doesn't matter if the devs hate this is a community server and if the community wants it, it should be added.

"The devs" are also part of the community. This server has never had the intentions of democracy for the codebase, especially with a group as nebulous as the "community".

While this would certainly be cool, CQC feels to powerful for the role. Validhunting from blueshields has been a common complaint, and this would just encourage this behavior and make it easier.

I think Krav, if anything, would be more suited. More non lethal, and able to take down clowns breaking into the bridge much more easily.

However, in general I don't think the blueshield really needs any buffs. They are able to fulfill their job already quite well, and are generally first in line to receive any better equipment/buffs/etc made from R&D and genetics.

So the dev's hate it, it doesn't get implemented. Dev's like it, it gets implemented. That's sadly how it is. Look at medbay and all that. 

The blueshield does need a buff. The validhunting is NO excuse, we have a rule for that and admins to enforce the rules. If that's not possible, change the rules or get more admins. Validhunting in general needs to be punished more severely, but I'll not go into that here.

The blueshield is supposed to be highly trained. CQC would fit in that. Or some other form of training. If the blueshield doens't need CQC, IMO the warden doesn't need krav maga. Because that makes even less sense IMO.

Blueshield acting like redshields should get reprimanded. The captain can also just fire them. We have OOC AND IC options to deal with validhunting. Witholding the implementation of new features should not be one of them. 

Edited by Landerlow
  • Like 5

Validhunting is a problem with Blues, but I don't think that's a reason to deny the featurei n question.

However, the validhunt problem is real, but the thing is, in my mind anyway, the Blueshield is a 30 karma role.
Magistrate is 45 Karma, and it costs that much because it is a "Trusted" role. It's something you don't just give to randos because they'll abuse it, and it is held to a higher standard then other jobs, it's easy to get a ding dong bannu out of Magistrate if you abuse it's authority. But it's authority/power you are given out of trust since you got enough karma for it, you demonstrated you understand how Paradise works a little bit, the dos and don'ts.

Blueshield, IMO, should be similar. They can be trusted with things like Krav Maga or what have you, because it's a 30 karma role, you're being given a measure of trust that you won't abuse it. And if you do, then the job-bans will come swift and hard, harder then other jobs.  A blue has no reason to not be at the bridge or at a Head of Staff's side, if you are wandering maint on your own, and are not actively trying to find the captain's corpse to recover and take to medical, then you abused that trust you were given, full stop, and it can and should be rescinded via job ban.

Edited by Dinarzad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use