Allfd

Ask Alffd technical server questions

I am having trouble sleeping, so figured I would start a thread while I wait for sleep.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the server and how it is setup.

To start, some fun facts.

We move about 9.8 TB a month in data, or about 3,300 HD movies a month.

The server, is actually 16 different physical or virtual computers.  Located across the United States, UK, NZ, AUS and BR.
We primarily live in a datacenter in NY with most of our infrastructure at that location spread across two physical servers.  However we also have virtual machines running on Vultr, Microsoft Azure, and a very random small cloud provider in NZ.  We use AWS Route 53 for directing players to the closest Paradise network entry points for their geographical location.

We run a combination of Microsoft Windows 10, Ubuntu 18.04, and FreeBSD.  We use SAMBA4 for directory management, and have OpenID and SAML based single sign-on for the various game admin things.  For logs and NetFlow, we use elastic search and graylog.

So....  Whatever you guys want, AMA?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • toolbox 1

Out of curiosity, how much storage do the Paradise servers have? In spite of the huge amount of data being accessed, I assume there's actually a relatively small amount of storage required to keep things running and logged?

How many individual nerds it seems to connect the server, say, in a month?

Edited by Regular Joe

8 hours ago, Ralta said:

Out of curiosity, how much storage do the Paradise servers have? In spite of the huge amount of data being accessed, I assume there's actually a relatively small amount of storage required to keep things running and logged?

We have 3.256TB of storage, although most of it is not used.  We have a 2GB database, and perhaps 100GB of log files.

7 hours ago, Regular Joe said:

How many individual nerds it seems to connect the server, say, in a month? 

This is somewhat hard to answer as individuals may have more then one account.

However in the last 30 days, we have been connected to with 3760 unique byond names.

If we only count byond logins from different IP addresses (ignoring shared addresses)  we have had 3654 unique players in the last 30 days.

• fastparrot 1
  • explodyparrot 1

About 3700, well that is quite a lot of them!

11 hours ago, Allfd said:

We move about 9.8 TB a month in data, or about 3,300 HD movies a month.

About one movie of HD spaceman action per nerd then.

Can it run crysis? 

8 hours ago, Ty Omaha said:

Can it run crysis? 

No,  we have basically no graphical processing capability.  However adding a graphics card on the server running byond would make it more then capable of doing so.

How many times paradise servers are better than google servers?

7 hours ago, McRamon said:

How many times paradise servers are better than google servers?

Considering that the servers are setup to play a game, and not steal all your personal information, many, many times better.

• Like 1

So, applying some SR to this thread...

Does Paradise run DreamDaemon on a Windows or Linux server?

Any idea which type of data is the lion's share of those 9.8 TB, other than admeme obnoxious midis?

On 4/18/2019 at 4:16 AM, Lars said:

Any idea which type of data is the lion's share of those 9.8 TB, other than admeme obnoxious midis?

Kyet's pet goat

Edited by Spacemanspark
  • explodyparrot 1

Runs windows, but the other components (now gone) were Linux based

Data was mostly game data heading out to clients, a bunch of it was game resources due to cache issues.