Cyborg Death State

Vallidian

A round I played earlier today had myself and another cyborg got hacked by traitors, then disabled by security and left outside robotics for about 20 minutes. Apparently all of the robotics quit or died. As a cyborg, we can't ghost if our power cell is removed, but we can't do anything with it removed. Perhaps make it possible to exit the borg body if it's been without a power cell for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

I mean sure, after 20 minutes we had our power cells readded by a miner but still, that's 20 minutes of looking at a dark screen with nothing to do but chat in LOOC.

• Like 1

I played a few rounds of borg and was quickly put off from ever being one again because of this issue. Rogue AI got found out early, borgs locked down, and all borgs had their batteries removed and left to sit in robotics for rest of the round.
Being forced to sit unconscious for a majority of a round or ghost without respawnability is fairly harsh.

Edited by Pckables

2 hours ago, Pckables said:

I played a few rounds of borg and was quickly put off from ever being one again because of this issue. Rogue AI got found out early, borgs locked down, and all borgs had their batteries removed and left to sit in robotics for rest of the round.

Can't you just unsync the borgs from the AI and upload laws to them?

6 minutes ago, Calecute said:

Can't you just unsync the borgs from the AI and upload laws to them?

Yes, but you're lucky if you get a roboticist who even knows how to do basic repairs on borgs, let alone unsync and relaw them. 

2 hours ago, Landerlow said:

I agree, ghosting should be an option if you're in this state for more than say, 5/10 minutes

Having the borg die after 5 minutes (Same as Defib timer) at 0 power/no battery sounds like a simple and needed change, similar to the update stopping IPCs from getting stuck in perma-crit. 

On 2/3/2019 at 8:16 PM, EvadableMoxie said:

Yes, but you're lucky if you get a roboticist who even knows how to do basic repairs on borgs, let alone unsync and relaw them. 

Repairs are easy. Relaw though? Isn't that something only the RD's comp can do?

Edited by tiredbum

5 hours ago, tiredbum said:

Repairs are easy. Relaw though? Isn't that something only the RD's comp can do?

To upload new laws you'd need a Cyborg upload. That's on the bridge, although nothing stops a roboticist from just printing one via their circuit imprinter.

Edited by EvadableMoxie

Alternatively just allow a borg without a battery still talk and be conscious.

Because what powers an MMI or Posibrain that lets it talk without a battery? It's not much of a stretch to assume those functions would still work.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ziiro said:

Alternatively just allow a borg without a battery still talk and be conscious.

Because what powers an MMI or Posibrain that lets it talk without a battery? It's not much of a stretch to assume those functions would still work.

I think its due to being wired into the borg overriding the posibrain's natural speaking ability. Or even dead Borgs and IPC would be able to talk.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, EvadableMoxie said:

To upload new laws you'd need a Cyborg upload. That's on the bridge, although nothing stops a roboticist from just printing one via their circuit imprinter.

Isn't that against SOP/Space Law?

Not in that situation. The SoP is to keep all Cyborgs linked to the AI, unless it's subverted or Malf. That's the only bit regarding Cyborg laws, so there's nothing saying a Roboticist can't change Cyborg laws freely if there is no AI, or the AI is compromised. (There isn't anything saying anyone else can't either, but Borg maintenance is clearly within a Roboticst's duties).

There are a lot of rules regarding modifying the AI's laws, but all of them specifically say 'AI' and not 'AI and Borgs.'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use