New kidney and liver toxins(More organ damage please!)

Kryson

In the real world many toxins damage the liver and kidneys, but in ss13 I've never seen anyone suffer from kidney failure. How does kidney failure even work ingame?

If we had more ways people could get hurt it could increase the fun for both the antagonists and medical staff.

I suggest:

• Introducing a new reagent as the principal kidney toxin; Ethylene glycol(commonly known as antifreeze), this is an interesting toxin because of its sweet and pleasant taste, it could give the generic "You can taste the sweetness" message when imbibed.
  • Introducing a new synthanol based drink that is sweetened by ethylene glycol, this makes sense because it is used to cool machines and both toxic and non-toxic glycols have been used in alcoholic beverages to provide sweetness and improve mouthfeel. 
  • Since we already have the very potent liver toxin carbon tetrachloride in the game under the name firefighting foam, i suggest it be renamed to its proper name and given the ability to actually cause liver damage in addition to putting out fires.
  • Consider adding kidney toxicity to transfused blood of the wrong blood types.
  • Consider adding delayed liver damage to amatoxin(perhaps this is already in the game?)
  • If kidney failure has not been coded, it could cause a buildup of generic "toxin" and thus be able to be alleviated by dialysis.

Since both of these toxins have at least one alternative usage they can be obtained from the chemist with some social engineering.

My suggested recipe for ethylene glycol:

• 3 parts oxygen
  • 3 parts welding fuel
  • 3 parts water
  • 1 part silver

Heat to 473k

I am willing to attempt spriting the new IPC drink. Should it be a "girly" drink since it contains a lot of sweetener? Help me come up with a name and recipe.

If you have any thoughts about these suggestions or know of another reagent you think should cause organ damage, please post in this thread.

Here are some snippets from Wikipedia on the toxicity of these compounds.

Carbon tetrachloride is one of the most potent hepatotoxins (toxic to the liver), so much so that it is widely used in scientific research to evaluate hepatoprotective agents.

Stage 3 (24 to 72 hours) kidney failure is the result of ethylene glycol poisoning. In cats, this stage occurs 12–24 hours after getting into antifreeze; in dogs, at 36–72 hours after getting into antifreeze.[9] During this stage, severe kidney failure is developing secondary to calcium oxalate crystals forming in the kidneys.[9] Severe lethargy, coma, depression, vomiting, seizures, drooling, and inappetence may be seen.

Edited by Kryson
  • toolbox 1

To answer the question regarding Kidneys: 

If damage is 10 or higher and coffee is in the subject’s system, they take 0.1 toxin damage per tick. If damage is 30 or higher and coffee is in the subject’s system, they take 0.3 toxin damage per tick.

Livers are similar but affected by more reagents. Specifically: Ethanol, toxin, plasma, sulfuric acid, fluorosulfuric Acid, cyanide, amanitin, or carpotoxin. It's all done on the same check so if you have multiple types of those reagents you still only take 0.3 toxin per tick. 

To quote the notes in the code:

// This should probably be expanded in some way, but fucked if I know

Edited by EvadableMoxie

My feeling is that when the kidneys are completely dead the toxin reagent should be added to the body every tick, perhaps at twice the rate of depletion(or however slow it needs to be to make dialysis a viable treatment until a new pair of kidneys can be obtained.) It should be a life threatening condition not a minor coffee related annoyance.

Perhaps toxin should start being added earlier but at a slower rate. What happens if you add toxin below the depletion amount, do the character still take the toxin damage but no toxin reagent builds up?

If it is implemented this way it would closely mimic real life kidney failure as the kidneys filter out endogenous toxins from the blood.

As for liver failure, is it possible to code it so that patients with a dead liver eliminate reagents much slower? This snippet from the paradise station wiki indicates that this might be possible: 

Full nutrition has many positive effects such as regenerating health, healthy reagents staying in your body for longer, restoring blood, and toxins cycling out of your system quicker.

If this was changed keeping your liver in good shape might become a lot more important and allow for some new interesting poison mixes.

Im my dream world where these changed are implemented, the Drask race special liver; the metabolic strainer, has more hitpoints. This would potentially lead to some interest cross species transplantation work.

Edited by Kryson

40 minutes ago, EvadableMoxie said:

It should be possible to code yes, although eliminating reagents slower isn't necessarily even a bad thing.  It would make beneficial reagents more powerful. 

You might have to make it so harmful reagents get a bigger boost if we expect people to regularly break or remove their livers for powergaming reasons.

Also i created a couple of WIP sprites for the hypothetical synthanol beverage i suggested.

I might make lower phase a little bigger, tweak the colours and add a straw or an umbrella or something.

SineWave.gif

SineWavePulsing.gif

My previous drink sprite attempts were too large. This one is a little smaller, the peach phase is at the top and i've added an umbrella. Let me know what you think.

SineWaveUmbrellaPulsing.gif

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use