Species Specific Emergency Kits

Breenland

So with Nanotrasen hiring many different species, it seems odd that they'd all be offered the same cookie cutter emergency kit. Sure, it could be used to help another crewmate, but what if that crewmate is synthetic, or a vox? It simply makes sense to me for some species to have slightly different emergency kits to fit their needs. And, after a short (and lively) discussion on the Discord, I figured I'd post my thoughts for this here. 

As a note, I've only played Human, Unathi, Diona, Drask, and IPC. If you think my suggestions for the species' emergency kits I've not played are outrageous, please feel free to suggest something more in line!

• Vox: Spare emergency capacity voxxygen tank, spare mask, epipen.
  • Plasmaman: Spare emergency capacity plasma tank, epipen. Unfortunately here, I've not got set idea on to handle spares for them. Perhaps a spare suit that, and their suits only fit plasmamen (if they don't already), or a ticket that can be redeemed for a new suit.
  • Drask: Standard emergency kit, but with the air supercooled.
  • IPC: Replace the air tank and mask with an emergency welder and set of cable coils. The epipen can remain, as it is valuable if trying to assist others as well.
  • Other races: Standard kits, unless I'm missing something that they should have.

Of course, the air tanks would be replaced with the proper ones depending on their jobs (extended capacity emergency tanks) where applicable. Thanks for taking a look!

• Like 1

I believe that was suggested a multiple times, especially ipc stuff. 

Just change the ipc kit to welder and wires, and species who breath different gasses should have their tanks filled with these gasses. No need for cooled gas for drasks, it is emergency kit after all.

The fact that it is an emergency kit only makes the idea of cooled air more worthwhile! It's known to heal them of both brute and burn damage, thus making it perfect for emergency situations. Now if you take it out and breath it all within the first 15 minute of shift, well...you're outta luck unless someone makes you some more.

25 minutes ago, Breenland said:

The fact that it is an emergency kit only makes the idea of cooled air more worthwhile! It's known to heal them of both brute and burn damage, thus making it perfect for emergency situations. Now if you take it out and breath it all within the first 15 minute of shift, well...you're outta luck unless someone makes you some more.

Well, no, idea of emergency kit is to give everyone a way to survive emergency, while spending the least amount of money possible. Nobody will spend money/resources to cool off air for drasks, you could the same way place there parches, pills, weapons, surgery tools...

7 minutes ago, McRamon said:

Well, no, idea of emergency kit is to give everyone a way to survive emergency, while spending the least amount of money possible. Nobody will spend money/resources to cool off air for drasks, you could the same way place there parches, pills, weapons, surgery tools...

I don't quite understand how it's different, since if you're using it, it's an emergency. Plus, all they'd have to do (and the fastest, easiest way imo in-game) is have an air line along the external hull, or even just pumping air from less inhabited/heated areas (kitchen freezers?). BUT that is besides the point, the goal here giving every race their chance to survive in a package that fits in a box, on their person. You could even say that Diona could start with a flashlight, though their PDA light may be sufficient...unsure there.

5 hours ago, Breenland said:
  • Vox: Spare emergency capacity voxxygen tank, spare mask, epipen.
    That'd be fine.
  • Plasmaman: Spare emergency capacity plasma tank, epipen. Unfortunately here, I've not got set idea on to handle spares for them. Perhaps a spare suit that, and their suits only fit plasmamen (if they don't already), or a ticket that can be redeemed for a new suit.
    A better idea would be to allow some sort of way to make or maybe order new suits from cargo. This same idea could be applied to Vox for their masks and tanks.
  • Drask: Standard emergency kit, but with the air supercooled.
    Bit unbalanced considering the healing effect cooled air has for drask. If we start including healing items in the emergency kits for Drask it'd only be fair to include a brute patch and burn patch with every other emergency kit.
  • IPC: Replace the air tank and mask with an emergency welder and set of cable coils. The epipen can remain, as it is valuable if trying to assist others as well.
    Same reason above.

Edited by Corocan

Pretty sure the purpose of the kit is because you are on a space station and a breach makes the room very immediately dangerous without internals. Exposure with internals takes much longer. Its not meant to be a first aid kit.

You could consider the fact that vox and plasmamen are always wearing internals and never need to reach into thier emergency kit for a tank and mask to already be advantageous. Same for IPCs who dont require any kind of internals ever.

Edited by ZN23X

True. Nothing has to be changed. IPCs are just robots made specifically to carry an emergency kit in case some superior race person around is in trouble 

13 minutes ago, McRamon said:

True. Nothing has to be changed. IPCs are just robots made specifically to carry an emergency kit in case some superior race person around is in trouble 

Probably cuz I have played Paramedic so much as my IPC, but I HAVE had to use the internals from my emergency kit on someone else as my IPC XD

11 hours ago, ZN23X said:

Pretty sure the purpose of the kit is because you are on a space station and a breach makes the room very immediately dangerous without internals. Exposure with internals takes much longer. Its not meant to be a first aid kit.

You could consider the fact that vox and plasmamen are always wearing internals and never need to reach into thier emergency kit for a tank and mask to already be advantageous. Same for IPCs who dont require any kind of internals ever.

IPCs still take damage from pressure and temperature, so having an emergency welding tool or wire would be valuable, giving them enough time to fix small damage and possibly not collapse...provided their limbs haven't been blown off. The spare mask/internals for plasmamen and vox feels fair, as if they lose their one tank in some situation, it's certainly an emergency!

I can understand the reasoning to not giving drask the supercooled air for balance reasons, as it does heal fairly quickly. That certainly shouldn't be compared to the IPC's welding tool and wire however, since it's passive compared to IPC repair requiring active action from the player.

On the subject of slimes, a teperone pen would be very helpful, but based on some arguments presented here, I'm not sure if it would fit in the emergency kit.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I would want to see special first aid kits for non-standard life forms. As a Paramedic, I have encountered injured non-humans and been unable to help them due to their unique biology. I am forced to just rush them to Cryogenics or Robotics, stable or not.

• 4 weeks later...

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/10300

https://github.com/ParadiseSS13/Paradise/pull/10322

With IPC's now able to get repair kits from robotics or cargo, and Vox and Plasmamen now spawning with their own tanks once that PR gets merged, I believe this suggestion has now been fulfilled.

Why not replace the IPC's epipen with a non refillable oil injector? Off topic but I'd also like to see duct tape be able to make  temporary repairs to IPCs as well as hobo rig up casts for broken limbs in general.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use