Id Shredder

Taac

So I noticed as HoP on rounds where a lot of people die there really isn't a place to store "Terminated" IDs so I was thinking. I'm sure even a "Terminated" ID could pose a security risk so why not add a shredder to the office? just put old IDs in there. maybe it makes a noise and deletes the ID from the game that way the HoP office doesn't just get taken over by a pile of old IDs. and maybe you could use it as a traitor HoP to get rid of evidence? who knows possibilities are endless. just a late night Idea I posted in the coders chat a while ago and some people even made basic models for it 

scanner123.gif

(Thanks @Greytide on discord for making that)

• Like 3

That's a lot of ID's that would need to be shredded @Coldflame! I think this is a solid idea, one that would be hard to abuse. Maybe add a "log in" screen to the shredder before you're able to start shredding ID'S? That way no one can just walk in and start destroying stuff willy nilly.

Just make the Captain's Spare immune to it. Plasma infused gold that jams the blades.

I'd like this idea more if there was a counter-part to print fresh IDs so those boxes of blanks could be removed.

• Like 1

Just make it an ID recycler. Old ID in, new ID out.

Would be cool if the HoP's computer was replaced with it--demolecularize an ID card and reform it into a new one with different access.

• Thanks 2

Can't you just...remove all access from an ID, then set the name to unknown and the account number to 0? That would be the same as somehow 'recyling' an ID. If unneeded IDs are accumulating in the HoP office, then just wipe them like that and stick them in the spare ID box.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 7:33 PM, Malphystoh said:

Once the ID is terminated, just toss it in the disposals. Not sure why you wouldn't throw trash away

You’re right. So why don’t we just make a general shredder? I think it would be very beneficial for paperwork related roles. For example, as an Internal Affairs Agent or the Nanotrasen Rep, you’re dealing with a lot of sensitive information. If you’re writing something and you mess up, you have to either chuck it in disposals where it can be read by anyone who decides to take a gander at the rubbish. Or you can let it clog up your workplace. Sure, lighters can burn them but then you’re left with ashes all over your floor. With a shredder, you could just stick it in and let it shred. Problem solved!

1 hour ago, Malphystoh said:

I mean to say the disposals grinder can handle the iDs. No reason for an extra thing. Just throw them away. They are already terminated. The ID is worthless. 

Not entirely, as they can still be used to hide one's identity.
While the ID itself has no access, the fact the ID has a name on it, means someone can use it to disguise themselves.  And someone who wants a disguise is the kind of person who won't care if the ID is terminated, they either have the tools to break in to places or have something like an e-mag.

In general, putting IDs anywhere public is asking for trouble, terminated or not.

Edited by Dinarzad
  • stunbaton 1

that's like the worst disguise ever. Job title Terminated? Incoming boots and stun batons. The vast majority of those IDs have negative things associated with them. Like they were a murder victim or were executed / sent to perma. You wanna rummage through filth to slap on a target sign to your head? Be my guest. XD 

In addendum, if it goes through the grinder its gone. Your premise hinges on they can still be used. This assumes a cargo tech gives a damn when checking the refuse pile before just letting it go off to the disposal. Regardless. Even if I think its a terrible disguise if a traitor wants it. Great. Super. Let them rock it out. If that is the main pretext of your argument. (it can be used for bad things) then all the better. Give the antags a chance to roam around in trash IDs. It adds more depth to the entire situation. My initial premise is I don't leave them laying around. If its terminated into the trash it goes. Though I could see saving them if you were running out of spare IDs due to theft and murder. 

Edited by Malphystoh

On 7/14/2018 at 4:32 PM, Malphystoh said:

that's like the worst disguise ever. Job title Terminated? Incoming boots and stun batons. The vast majority of those IDs have negative things associated with them. Like they were a murder victim or were executed / sent to perma. You wanna rummage through filth to slap on a target sign to your head? Be my guest. XD 

In addendum, if it goes through the grinder its gone. Your premise hinges on they can still be used. This assumes a cargo tech gives a damn when checking the refuse pile before just letting it go off to the disposal. Regardless. Even if I think its a terrible disguise if a traitor wants it. Great. Super. Let them rock it out. If that is the main pretext of your argument. (it can be used for bad things) then all the better. Give the antags a chance to roam around in trash IDs. It adds more depth to the entire situation. My initial premise is I don't leave them laying around. If its terminated into the trash it goes. Though I could see saving them if you were running out of spare IDs due to theft and murder. 

Target sign isn't a problem, when it's a target sign for someone else, now is it? All you need is for someone to NOT know who you REALLY are, you don't give a good God damn if they think you're Jim-Bob the Maintenance Hobo who was fired for being a dick to half the crew.

Cargo turns on the trash grinder AT ALL, maybe once every three rounds? more then half the time I wander in there, it's not even fucked with, you'd be absolutely stupefied the amount of high-grade stuff I pull out of disposals.
If a Traitor wants it, great.  That's not the subject of this discussion, the subject of the discussion is an ID Disposal tool, for the Head of Staff whose ENTIRE JOB revolves around properly handing out, upgrading, downgrading and disposing of Identification Cards. It's sort of the HoP's job to do this, and preferably without causing casual security breaches by dumping ID tags that can still be used to fuck with Security, into public trash bins.
You said there was no reason not to disposal them, and I simply provided a reason why putting them into a public area, even Terminated, is not something a HoP should be doing, to say nothing of the RP reasons like facilitating identity theft an shit that could be sued for.

Imagine if an IRL company or bank just threw away old ID tags into the dumpster outside that anyone had access to. Are they invalid? Sure. Do the Security guards know that casually at a glance? Probably not. Could they be used to cause problems? You bet. Paper shredders and shit exist for a reason in offices that handle people's identification.
(And before anyone mentions Sec HUDs, Terminated IDs do not have an icon of their own, they simply show up as an unrecognized ID, same as if someone had a custom title. Something not visible at a glance an would involve browsing through the manifest to bring it up first.)

So there you go. It's not only adding to RP because it makes sense in-universe, it's no worse then disposaling it as we just established and it's a quality of life bump for the HoP. Small perks in it;s favor, with nothing really against it.

Spriter here and also, oh shit, someone actually cares about this stuff i thought it was abandoned so i stopped working on this ;-;
I will finish sprites soon if someone will actually code this

On 7/8/2018 at 1:13 PM, Coldflame said:

what happens if every ID with ID computer access gets shredded?

but there are some ways to do that without shreder, acid for example  - and i dont see any problems with that

Anyway, as a person who plays HoP from time to time, i would really appreciate a new way to deal with IDs which are no longer in use, alternative suggestion might be something like this: The "terminate" button doesn't just change job title to "terminated", instead, a window pops up where you choose or write a reason for termination, or maybe just add commentary like "unable to revive" or "borged" or even "criminal, EoC", and then the ID computer gives you clear ID, moves person from manifest to "terminated" section with comments you made and maybe even updates certain records (security or medical, depends on what happend to the person). But, shredder is a nice idea, it doesnt have to be only ID shredder, i also would like to see a way to destroy normal papers and stuff. Adding emagged option would also spice things up (speaking of ID, it could for example only accept terminated IDs, unless you emag it, or even accept.... body parts? agressivly grab someone and click on emagged shredder to place his hand inside for... well, painful ghetto amputation). Cool idea!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use