More Morphs

Biffthegreat

image.png.94dac7320ba50a5cc706555a18f8d055.png

Morphs should be more common. They are more RP intensive than blob, swarmer, revenant. Reasoning:

1 - Players do not often encounter morphs, many regulars have never seen one.

2 - They are unique in their playstyle with ventcrawling and ability/motivation to engage crew.

3 - They do not need to be violent or particularly antagonistic. They can be like borers in this regard.

4 - They are unlikely to mess with players rounds and are a much more RP / Engaging role to play than other options for players removed from the round.

5 - Who doesn't love a morph.

Morph is most amusing quasi-antag.

• Like 1

I've had a few good experiences RPing with a morph. But I mean. 9/10 the morph doesn't RP and just runs around eating everyone they can. It's not really fun at all. They're kinda like a less powerful blood demon in regards to storing corpses forever.

Not really that fun to play with unless the Morph does more than nom everything.

17 minutes ago, Mitchs98 said:

I've had a few good experiences RPing with a morph. But I mean. 9/10 the morph doesn't RP and just runs around eating everyone they can. It's not really fun at all. They're kinda like a less powerful blood demon in regards to storing corpses forever.

Not really that fun to play with unless the Morph does more than nom everything.

Perhaps that is a problem with the rarity of a morph. People don't know what to do and then get violent.

I've tried to "talk down" violent morphs before and persuade them not to just nom people but with little success.

Having a survive/replicate objective like a borer might assuage that, I just think as an already implemented and coded "antag" there are loads of ways, from stealth to RP to violent that a morph could "win?" that I'd like to see a few more or it to become at least as common as borers.

However - I don't see how the worst morph (i.e., NOM EVERYONE) is any worse than the best Blob (i.e., NOM EVERYONE). I think its more promising as a semi-antag.

Edited by Biffthegreat

Blobs are easier to kill and don't perma store bodies from their kills until killed. That's why they're worse, really.

Regarding the "perma store of bodies", they do drop everything they have eaten when gibbed. This can easily be done with a sharp object on harm intent, they are a simple animal, and can be cut apart, it is the same as the chef slaughtering animals for meat.

Morph is very annoying to fight given how much health they have, how much damage they deal, and general ease they have of acquiring more mass without any visual indication of their strength. This also assumes they don't spend much of their round just running away from any conflict that isn't 1v1 where they know they can win.

Blob is much better round type imo as the entire crew is given a goal to work against, the blob is largely stationary so much of the 'action' isn't people welding vents, but rather gathering tools to fight back and the actual attempts to stifle the blob's growth. You slow a morph by... throwing everything in a locker and hiding it away from a vent easy access area for the morph.

The only  'fun' morph rounds I've seen are those in which much of the crew is generally unaware of the morph's existence as they vent crawl disguised as a bot, drone or monkey that might be a typical sight in the area, eat everything when nobody is really around to look, and move onto the next empty area. Such engagement. Much fun.

I don't see the point in pushing combat focused antags to be mid-round RP events when we actually have RP focused roles that could be made into midround events such as the Merchant or Vox Traiders, and we could easily make things like Refugees, CentCom Civies (Centcom is not solely staffed by 1 admiral or comm officer, by definition there HAS to be some form of support crew) or even the suggest Wizard Apprentices 

Edited by davidchan

Can a morph communicate if they shapeshift into someone?

Would be nice to have 'friendly' morph incidents. I must admit that the thought of a morph in a nukie round 'guarding' the disk makes me smile. How they would hunt the disk all over the station... ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use