Diona Nymph Rights1

Elimina7or

should dionaea nymphs be treated as crew upon birth?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The issue is Nymphs. while they do evolve into Diona, are effectively just monkies and usually act as such. My proposed solution: Protect Nymphs under the animal cruelty law, and nothing else unless they Nymphs are EITHER inside of Botany or by a Botanist, because they shouldn't be anywhere else anyway.

one thing i don't understand is why it's all about nymphs and not about regular monkeys

Regular monkeys can go in and do everything the nymphs can do, steal weapons, ID's, etc. yes

But they are treated like Monkey. The crew kills them indiscriminately if they do something to warrant it. They cant bargain with people, they cant understand when they're being threatened until they're being attacked. A Nymph can talk to them, understand if they're in trouble.

But the argument your making is that they should have crew rights when the players are abusing the functions of being a monkey but still "under the protection of the crew"

I for one didnt have time to vote, but I vote no rights. As a Kidan crew, I've added to the Kidan ethos that Kidan are warlike vegetarians, with a sweet tooth for Nymphs. They are delicious raw or cooked, steamed or battered.

No rights for nymphs, get in mah bellah!

I also missed out on this vote, but I, too, vote for no rights for Nymphs.

I was more than willing to grant it to them as they have a very beneficial+helpful role for Botanist.

That said, most players have, sadly, decided to use the role to abuse their semi-all access and grief the heck out of people with it.

My vote is no rights unless they're helping in Botany.

Simple answer really if Diona Nymphs want to be treat like crew then they have to act like crew, and this means not accessing places they don't have access to without expecting reprisal, not stealing things without expecting to be punished for it and not attacking people without expecting to get robusted in return.

If a Nymph jumps into the captains office and steals his spare ID... then they have to be treat under space law so chucked in the brig with the vent welded.

If nymph's can't handle following those rules... then they are just pests and deserve to be slaughtered... simple.

• 2 months later...

The thing with NEW nymphs, is their only understanding of laws and rights and morality is that which is taught to them. There is no reason for them NOT to explore, pick up shiny objects, or fuck around. Fact is, they aren't crew, so the AI has no reason to protect them, and they aren't citizens, so Space Law doesn't apply to them. They are also sentient, so animal cruelty doesn't necessarily affect them either.

By OP's logic, non-aggressive Cortical Borers should be given rights as well.

The thing I've noticed is them taking blood from everyone without permission, I don't really know these creatures or what they do, but certainly they shouldn't just be allowed to take bloody from everyone just cause they're a certain creature. Unless this is already illegal and I'm not aware of it....

taken blood literally doesnt do a thing to a player, anything that comes from it is up to the player to decide, wether it be considered assault or not.

Also they can't talk UNTIL they steal blood, so it's kinda moot :P

Once again: a brand new, freshly grown Diona has no concept of right, wrong, morality in general, societal norms or anything else for that matter save for possibly the need to feed, fertilize, and sample blood. As such, while you are free to ICly or OOCly have your opinions on their actions, there is simply no reason to expect them to do anything aside from what instinct or nurture guides them to do.

back when this was made, we had a player constantly do Antagy actions with his nymph and claim he was Crew and thus couldnt be killed, but arrested instead. One such action was going to the AI core and upload laws. This has been decided long ago and we dont need this brought back up

• 3 months later...

I also vote they have no rights, I consider them as vermin. They should only be allowed to live peacefully inside Hydroponics, outside of hydro is hunting season for nymphs. I hereby revive this thread to squash the nymph scum!

Nymphs outside of botany are comparable to stray dogs.

They're animals and should be afforded rights accordingly (as AI I sometimes inform sec of "animal cruelty" going on), if they behave badly (which they often do), they become pests.

I don't mind nymphs, sometimes even make friends with them IC, but most of the time they just screw around in an antaggy way, the last round I played as QM (my new favourite job) I kept passing out from the latest shit virus, a nymph thought it would be funny to go around stripping people, when I quite reasonably responding by telling first to bugger off and secondly by throwing it away, it then started bashing my head in with an oxygen tank until a friendly sec borg batoned it.

Another time I had my traitor round ruined when a nymph kept unhandcuffing my targets.

The point is, Nymphs, most of the time in my experience, behave like antags/pests then people complain when they get treated as such.

They are technically animals after all, non crew certainly, killing them should be an IC choice with possible IC consequences whilst abusing being one really needs closer Admin scrutiny IMO.

I don't robust nymphs on sight, but if I see you outside botany, and you are doing anything vaguely antagonistic to anyone, I will incapacitate you and flush you out the nearest convenient airlock, incinerate you, run you though a gibber, shove you in a washing machine, or otherwise fuck your shit up. I've been griefed by nymphs enough times to take an IC standpoint that they are pest animals and removing the infestation is a public service. I also warn any grown Diona or botanists directly afterwards to keep them better in control.

I may be one of the most extreme anti-nymph players on the station. I've gotten some flak for my position, but I can't say I don't feel justified. That nymph dragging a sick man to medbay, alright you're cool. That one running around with the barkeep's shotty, or breaking into the armory, you gonna get rekd. Past experience dictates that nymphs will steal anything not bolted to the floor, and kill you if convenient for fun and profit.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use