Gateway Explorer-Karma Shop?

Oxtailtex

Just getting back into space station so the gateway is a new and magical land for me. But I figured I would put out some feelers to see if anyone else likes this, having Gateway Explorer as a job position in the Karma Shop. They'd start with the basic gear to survive, probably have to craft their own more robust materials but their goal would be to find tech/information on the other side of the gate. Not sure how different the gateway is each round, if it is at all, but thoughts?

I kinda like this idea, mainly because I don't like that a million people rush to HoP office asking for gateway access at the beginning every round. 
Maybe make it so there can be two, instead of just one. Makes it a little safer.

It's fairly easy to get Gateway Explorer job as civilian. Just go to HoP, wait in the line, wait for him to ask Captain and there you go. If HoP is experienced, he will give you EVA access, so you can get Suit and Air and that is enough to survive. First "lucky" one gets toolbelt, magboots and multitool from EVA and First Aid Kit from gateway room. Next gateway explorers need to ask cargo and botany for the stuff, or go to maintenance hunting. The more Gateway Explorers, the better(or just Safier).

Next thing is that nobody cares about job you are doing. You can bring 10 mining hardsuits, or 5 dead facehuggers, or unopened Sec closet, but noone will ever notice. Only antags have some use from it and they will appreciate your effort, or they will go there themself.

Gateway explorer as it is now is pretty useless for NanoTrasen and it must be reworked to be a valid non-civilian Job. Like RnD taking advantage from tech discs, or Alien materials(dead facehugger/etc).

Another thing is that Gateway is a training ground for Greytiders to become Robust. Learn to hack, fight, construct and deconstruct. Being Karma required it would prevent new players who need it to have it.

Making Gateway explorer a karma job would mean the HoP can no longer make other people into Gateway explorers without faxing CC. Which will just lock the vast majority of people out of ever entering the gateway or encourage them to break into the gateway.

From what I remember, gateway is supposed to be the place where you can go if you are bored with your job or just want to do something interesting etc.

So, making it karma-job hm.... as much as I like the it, I don't think it's good idea.

New people should be able to explore gateway, it might encourage them to stay on the server and play more.

Ofcourse it wounldn't mean nobody can enter the gateway; it only limits the people that explore it at the beginning. If the gateway is safe people can enter it freely. Just like it is now.

"If the gateway is safe."

aka if the gateway is boring, people can enter? But when it's interesting and challenging you're going to lock it away to only let regulars that have been on the server for months join in on the fun?

• Like 1

This would require completely overhauling gateway missions since a lot of them don't really have much going for them.  Even the ones that do generally don't have anything useful to other departments.  I don't think many people would be against Gateway Exploration being expanded but it's not a question about if people want that or not, it's a question of who is going to do it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use