Space pod mining

EvadableMoxie

So, since the ore hold and pod mining laser exists, it seems to be intended that the Mechanic can do some mining if they want to. The problem though, is that to do it they need to build a pod mining laser, which requires silver and uranium. Since the mechanic is generally going to have to wait for both RnD and robotics to have their share of resources, the mechanic isn't likely to get those minerals quickly.  Unless of course mining is really on the ball that shift, in which case, the mechanic doesn't need to be mining.  They could try to ask for those minerals in exchange for bringing more in but there's no guarantee you can get RnD to even give you the time of day, let alone precious minerals.

I think it would make more sense to have the mining laser simply cost metal, glass, and plasma.  That way the mechanic can make it without the catch-22 of relying on minerals to make something that gets you minerals.

If anyone is concerned about balance potential, miners will always have the advantage. If a mechanic wants to mine, first the mechanic has to wait for RnD to get done, otherwise they don't have the research to make the pod mining laser. Next, they need to get a hardsuit, something they don't have access to. They have to find the mining asteroid z-level from the station.  They might be lucky and have it right next to the station, or it might require traveling through several Z-levels.  Once it's found, the Mechanic has to beg/borrow/steal a mining scanner and mesons. Even then, the mechanic can only mine for as long as their batteries allow (which isn't long) and they can never claim points from any ore they do bring in.  Because of all that, I don't see mechanics ever really stepping on the toes of miners.  If anything it's free points for the miners since the mechanic can't claim them.  

But, it would be nice if it was actually somewhat viable to do, should the mechanic want to do some mining for fun, or in emergencies when all the miners are dead and science really needs resources. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I should mention that the mechanic is meant to be making pods for the crew. The fact there is mining equipment for pods doesn't mean that the mechanic is meant to do mining.

That said though, allowing the mechanic to create mining equipment from metal and glass seems fair, as i can't imagine it'd outperform a ripley or a KA too much.

I'd argue plasteel since it can at least be ordered from Cargo yet limited in supply otherwise.

I would love to see two man pod mining come to fruition though I doubt the passenger will ever become more than just that. 2 man mechs would be cool on that subject too.

8 hours ago, Streaky Haddock said:

I should mention that the mechanic is meant to be making pods for the crew. The fact there is mining equipment for pods doesn't mean that the mechanic is meant to do mining.

That said though, allowing the mechanic to create mining equipment from metal and glass seems fair, as i can't imagine it'd outperform a ripley or a KA too much.

Basic mining lasers no.. but the mining lasers yes, and the upgraded mining laser can strip that asteroid. However the R&D requirements for any of those means it's pointless to make a mining pod by the time it's researched.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use