Prison time.

awesine

Why the fuck is the punishment for crimes so fucking long? Literally nobody likes spending 15 minutes in the brig for pushing over somebody. Insanely long timers like these do nothing but bring boredom into two hour, action-sparse rounds.

I suggest shortening them in half.

Edited by awesine
  • Salt 4

Pushing someone over repeatedly would fall under the "Battery" charge, which is a minor crime and can "carry a sentence that can vary between a simple warning and 5 minutes in the Brig, at the discretion of Security.".

If everything was a 5 minute charge then nobody would care about the repercussions of their actions.

Don't break Space Law and you won't end up in jail.

Edited by Ty Omaha

you generally don't get brigged for shoving someone over...now if you constantly antag security or someone else to the point you need to be arrested...thats..a diffrent story.

Just now, Ty Omaha said:

Pushing someone over would fall under the "Battery" charge, which is a minor crime and "carry a sentence that can vary between a simple warning and 5 minutes in the Brig, at the discretion of Security.".

If everything was a 5 minute charge then nobody would care about the repercussions of their actions.

Don't break Space Law and you won't end up in jail.

Every time I have been arrested for battery in the past week it's been a 10-15 minute charge.

Just now, Fethas said:

you generally don't get brigged for shoving someone over...now if you constantly antag security or someone else to the point you need to be arrested...thats..a diffrent story.

I have.

5 minutes ago, awesine said:

Every time I have been arrested for battery in the past week it's been a 10-15 minute charge.

If you steal from someone while pushing them down it's considered robbery, and if you resist during that you have a 25%+ time modifier that can be applied.

Edited by Ty Omaha

Just now, Ty Omaha said:

If you steal from someone while pushing them down it's considered robbery, and if you resist during that you have a 25%+ time modifier that can be applied.

I said battery, not theft.

Five of those minutes could had also came from "resisting arrest", which tends to be tacked on a lot by Security Officers from.

And avoiding breaking the law is very easy to do.

REMEMBER, ask for your charges, Security should to tell you the charges during arrest (green and blue alert, that is) and HAS TO tell you during the brigging.

Brig time is ok, if the time would be short, people would start breaking the law more often. You know thats the point of the law.

You break it, you end up in prisson.

Also battery is only 0-5 minutes.

Pro tip, instead of running if you cooperate with security you cannot get 0-5 minutes for resisting arrest + you may get cooperation modifire. I belive it is -25% to the time.

If you dont break the law, you don't end up in prison.

Just now, BottomQuark said:

Brig time is ok, if the time would be short, people would start breaking the law more often. You know thats the point of the law.

You break it, you end up in prisson.

Also battery is only 0-5 minutes.

Pro tip, instead of running if you cooperate with security you cannot get 0-5 minutes for resisting arrest + you may get cooperation modifire. I belive it is -25% to the time.

If you dont break the law, you don't end up in prison.

what about self-defense?

most of the time people who just defend themselves are thrown in the brig at 20 minutes 

5a58450743ad9_spaceLAAAAW.png.b558b0c32d5069ff9ff95dc01e69c80d.png

If any officer imprisoned you for no reason, bother IAA or HoS. If unavaible bother Magistrate,NT Rep, captain, whoever can fuck up demote processing officer.

Or just ignore and accept such a thing happens. I accidently permad some engineer one round cuz I fucked up names ((as paramedic, told sec person Y killed person X, came out it was not person Y, I fucked up names)). It happens.

3 hours ago, bryanayalalugo said:

Five of those minutes could had also came from "resisting arrest", which tends to be tacked on a lot by Security Officers from.

Well, usually if they're enough of a shitter to get arrested in the first place they'll probably resist arrest.  Resisting arrest gets added on a lot, but usually it's justified.

As far as this thread goes, well, in the words of Jim Carry: "Stop breaking the law, asshole!"

9 hours ago, awesine said:

Why the fuck is the punishment for crimes so fucking long? Literally nobody likes spending 15 minutes in the brig for pushing over somebody. Insanely long timers like these do nothing but bring boredom into two hour, action-sparse rounds.

I suggest shortening them in half.

Quick checklist:

1. Did you start the fight? If not, claim self defense. If a witness backs you up that you were merely defending yourself, all charges should be dropped.
  2. Did you disarm them a bunch of times? If not, space Law says 1-3 disarms is NOT enough for a battery charge. Make sure the officer processing you knows this.
  3. Are you being arrested anyway? Be co-operative. At the very least, it will prevent them adding the resisting arrest modifier. At best, they'll believe you and let you go with no charges.
  4. Are you being sentenced? Ask for the exact reasoning for your sentence. If you get 20 minutes, ask how they got to 20. If there is no way the charges in your case add up to 20, request to see an IAA.

• Like 1

TL;DR Space law timers are high as they are to discourage players from breaking the law in the first place.

It's always going to be easier to to smash a window and steal what you need rather than actually filling out paperwork, waiting for departments to man their areas and actually asking for it. It's up to you the player to gauge the situation and figure out what security and the crew will tolerate and what you'll have to do the long way to get what you want.

Few people want to spend time in the brig, fewer still if those few cathartic moments of smashing the clown's face in wind them up sitting in a 2x3 cell for 15-30 minutes. In some cases, it might totally be worth the time out to get done what you need done, in other cases you just have to make sure nobody else is looking or have a favor up your sleeve that can get the officers to fudge the records and let you walk. (I've managed to trade X-ray and anti-drop implants to security officers in the past for having them look the other way and set me to parolled for intentionally doing a crime.)

The other half of this is some security players, be they rookies or veterans, will slap the highest level crimes on people they can because it feels like their job, or they believe that if the crew realizes penalties will be harsher less bad shit will happen. This rarely works, and you can't do much to work with these officers. Finding a sympathetic ear in Security can save you a bunch of a trouble, if the HoS slammed you in for 15 minutes for breaking up a bar fight, then just maybe the Warden or one of the Officers might spare a moment to hear your side of the story and adjust your timer to something more reasonable (or in some cases cancel it all together and call the HoS a shithead.)

Ultimately, as long as you are cooperative, calm and not resisting or complicating the arrest and processing stages, you can generally expect shorter brig times. If you evade arrest, fight back, resist and try to uncuff yourself at every turn and then do your utmost to break out of your cell while screaming rape and shitcurity over the radio the entire time, don't be shocked when your brig sentence keeps going up every couple minutes before you wind up in perma or isolation. And don't suicide/ghost in security, it violates Rule 2 and is incredibly dickish behavior.

• Like 2

Don't break the law?

Battery is 5 minutes. Battery, plus resisting, plus being uncooperative should be 12.5 minutes but some people will round up or down to the nearest 5. Judging by the tone in your original post I imagine you aren't being cooperative and calm while being brigged. They can even add more time if you try to push them over or punch them after they take the cuffs off in the cell.

Plenty of people play on the station all day every day n enjoy themselves without being brigged. Maybe find a form of entertainment that doesn't break laws. If you are only entertained by doing things that breaks laws (which tend to be things that are disruptive to other players) then accept the consequences when you are punished for it.

Also, if you are cooperative and not screaming your head off like an angry child being punished by thier parents, some security crews will give you reduced sentences or even just let you off with a warning. If you make security miserable, they will return the favor.

In space law, at the discretion of the warden or HOS, a warning may be issued for minor and medium offenses. I'll frequently let people off with a warning if they aren't being a peice of shit.

And after all that if you really truly cannot be entertained without breaking laws, and you cannot bring yourself to being calm n cooperative, and dont want to be brigged, maybe go find a LRP server that is looser about such behavior.

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use