More flavour objectives for random crew

CollectiveS

This suggestions pretty simple, basically I've been thinknig that when the station is quite populous or during pretty quiet rounds (like extended can be) it would be cool if some randomly slected members of the crew had objectives of their own.

Now I'm not talking Antag level objectives, just some more minor things to create a number of subplots running through the station at the same time as the "main" event(s), perhaps in some cases slightly illicit activities.

To give some examples of what I'm thinking

1. Two players get objectives that require one player to collect debt money from the other (perhaps with threats and intimidation but no harm or other antag-like behaivour), maybe requiring the debtor to gather some cash around the station somehow.

2. A player starts the round with some drugs(of whatever) in their possession and have to sell it on the station.

3. Smuggling, one or more players start with some object they have to hand off to another player who has to leave the station with it in their possession at the end, could be drugs, could be a gun really anything illegal (for extra fun make them a mule and have to have the payload surgically removed - would likely be quite a bit more complicated though). This would work similarly to the syndicate documents hand-off objective.

4. Acquiring an object on station and leaving with it, could be many things, might require theft, would not be an object of special importance. Similar to the syndicate theft objective but much less important items and not necessarilly illegal but would hopefully require at least some work to get. Think things like surgical tools, botany plant scanners, specific chemicals, stuff that's restricted to cetrain departments or is just uncommon.

I'm not sure how the code works for objectives so this might be too fiddly to even consider, but what do people think? Any other ideas?

Hay, that's cool idea. We  could add some non-antag-type missions too. Like the one science have. For example for engineer "Set up all four solars and electrical maint" or for paramedic "Make sure there is no dead body on the station besides morgue"

I think this game is better when it is freeform for the crew, so the idea of giving them objectives to distract them from their jobs/plans or give assistants more reasons to be jackasses is unnecessary. They should be doing the jobs they signed up for anyway, and ordinary crewmembers should be allowed to set their own goals for the round. Even the Station Goals, I think, are pretty dumb and pointless, not to mention repetitive and unrewarding. Leave objectives to antagonists, but if you want more variety, I'd say create more objectives for antagonists to do: steal money, transport sensitive goods, steal lesser items like hardsuits, weapons, ID cards, etc. If you want to be complex about it, you could divide antags between "major" traitors who assassinate and steal high-value items; and "minor" traitors who handle less dangerous matters, like corporate espionage, theft, smuggling, and so on. Then you could set them up proportionately, like if there are 4 major traitors, you could have then 1 or 2 minor traitors, preferably with lesser resources since they wouldn't need the better gear to accomplish their mission. It could be like a difference between Hard Mode and Easy Mode, I suppose, though I'm not sure if players should be given a choice in which to be.

Edited by TrainTN

I like this idea, gives the civvies something to do when the usual refurbishing and you don't want to hang out in the bar. It could also give some interesting to moments. The only real criticism that I have is the smuggling, instead of having someone else get it, make the objective more towards stashing it somewhere for future use. It might make some very interesting traitor moments as well.

People can spitball ideas of different "objectives" and as long as they are within the bounds of the rules you could do them any round without the game telling you to do it. Just make it happen. Be a drug dealer, or work with another player on some scenario where they owe you money, etc. If you are planning on doing something that possibly treads the line, let the admins know what you are up to so they don't get surprised by it. This is what make Spess great.

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use