Page for Gateway?

ID404NotFound

I know that dotted around the wiki is information concerning gateway, as relevant to each topic (SOP, contraband, etc) but it would be nice to have a page that consolidates all gateway information in one place, as well as filling out more regulations on gateway. The pamphlet does not quite fill out as much as I would hope, though it does give a NT reason for gateway, as a colonization project, but there are really no materials to actually proceed with such a project.

The only real info on gateway I know of right now is that gateway requires captain authorization, can have excursions on green, not recommended on blue, except rescues, and prohibited on red, except rescues, with all prohibited on gamma. Then that contraband from gateway is still subject to space law, but that it is also incredibly hard to police gateway, especially when antags rear their heads.

Any other suggestions and thoughts would be nice.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I feel the gateway should be “unknown”. You go to the gateway to explore strange new worlds, it’s not really exploring if you know everything before you get there!

• Like 1

The gateway has no set procedure, it’s there on the station primarily for people who don’t want station jobs to do. It used to be that with xenoarch you could get artifacts and things from it but that’s gone, meaning the only role that uses the gateway is the “gateway explorer” and that’s an unofficial role made up by HoPs.

To finish, I don’t see the need for a wiki page on the gateway until the time it becomes something more then an optional extra.

Is it said somewhere, what equipment/access should Gateway Explorer have? If not, I say it should be added, maybe in General SoP. Something like:
1. Gateway Explorer is permitted to keep access and equipment from previous assignment.
2. Gateway Explorer is permitted to gain EVA access.
3. Gateway Explorer is not permitted to keep any firearm from his exploration, all firearms are to be stored in security armory.

ETC. I don't realy know anything about gateway exploring, was there like 2 times as paramedic to save someone.

Now we’re getting into SoP, which requires the heads of staff to agree to. I’ll say that considering gateway explorer is a makey-uppy job that any SoP written will almost certainly be more general, E.G gateway SoP

SoP is always a big project. I’ll look into it.

Making the Gateway require Captain-level authorization is rather pointless when almost anyone can break in.

In theory, the restriction "limited gateway access on higher codes" makes sense to try to make people deal with the threat to the station, but what if they're non-combatants who want to hide out on the beach?

Listing where the loot is in each mission only encourages people to play each mission optimally, in search of the loot. It takes a lot away from the exploration angle.

IMHO, we should codify Gateway Explorer into an actual job, and make it less subject to the whims of Command players. That said, we might need to remind GEs that any weapons they pick up are subject to seizure when they return. Ditto obvious contraband, like red hardsuits.

Edited by tzo

4 hours ago, tzo said:

Listing where the loot is in each mission only encourages people to play each mission optimally, in search of the loot. It takes a lot away from the exploration angle.

Again, never said anything about listing what is in gateway, just a more concrete idea of IC what gateway is for

I have nothing against the gateway Explorer or anything the job stands for.

With that being said i believe that enough focus has been shifted onto this issue in the time being, I also don't understand why people don't talk about space exploration more. I don't see anything wrong with the Captain letting two unemployed civilians taking a couple of hardsuits and adventuring into deep space. As far as I can recall there are many interesting things and features to find out there and there is no limit to what we can do with those things provided those people have a lot of imagination.

So honestly, i could personally care less if there is or is not a wiki page regarding Gateway Exploration.

14 hours ago, tzo said:

Making the Gateway require Captain-level authorization is rather pointless when almost anyone can break in.

In theory, the restriction "limited gateway access on higher codes" makes sense to try to make people deal with the threat to the station, but what if they're non-combatants who want to hide out on the beach?

It might take work, but the Gateway could have an on/off button that only a Head of Staff('s ID) can activate.

As for people escaping the station through it, I'm against that idea on the principle that it lessens the drama. A space station is a good setting for action and suspense because it's a limited and isolated location that cannot be easily escaped. So, I would not approve of people fleeing the station through the Gateway and lessening their involvement in the round. That sounds boring to me and means less players interacting with each other in dynamic ways. Players should have to deal with the station's problems, be it handling them directly or helping each other. Hopping off the station entirely feels like cheating, and there's enough locations for that as-is, such as the mining outpost and engineering satellite. Plus, where's the fun in a dozen guys standing around on a beach while all the interesting stuff happens elsewhere?

2 hours ago, TrainTN said:

It might take work, but the Gateway could have an on/off button that only a Head of Staff('s ID) can activate.

I agree with the rest, but according to what little is written about gateway, it is supposed to only open with captain's authorization. I've seen RDs give out guest passes with gateway access on them, thinking that they are in charge of gateway "because it's research related".

But please keep conversation on the topic on whether there should be a wiki page that consolidates information on gateway, and ideas about what information is included/excluded

6 hours ago, ID404NotFound said:

I agree with the rest, but according to what little is written about gateway, it is supposed to only open with captain's authorization. I've seen RDs give out guest passes with gateway access on them, thinking that they are in charge of gateway "because it's research related".

But please keep conversation on the topic on whether there should be a wiki page that consolidates information on gateway, and ideas about what information is included/excluded

Fair enough, it can stay Captain-only. But it really needs an on/off button. As for being on-topic, I think at most the wiki page should have a list of locations with brief one-line summaries, and nothing more, to discourage powergaming. Though it would only discourage it in people who don't already know everything there is to know.

And, here we go. Thoughts people?

1. The Gateway is only to be opened/used by authorization of the captain and research director. Violation of this is to be considered Major Trespassing (code 309) or Breaking an Entering (code 210) into a Restricted Area,  depending on circumstances;

2. All weaponry/equipment brought through the Gateway is to be processed and catalogued by the Head of Security. All lethal weaponry and Syndicate equipment must be kept in the Secure Armory unless otherwise authorized by the Head of Security. Violation of this is to be considered code 300 Possession of Contraband.

3. All personnel entering the Gateway are to be recorded by the Head of Personnel. The job title of  "Gateway Explorer" may be given to facilitate this. Violation of this is to be considered Major Trespassing code 309;

4. In the event of serious biohazard being located beyond the Gateway (e.g Terror Spiders),  the Gateway is to be sealed and Command must decide whether or not to continue Gateway exploration,  via majority vote;

5. In the event of a loss of contact with the Gateway exploration team, a rescue team is only to be sent with the written permission of the Captain, Head of Security and Research Director. The Nanotrasen Representative may veto this.

• Like 1
  • explodyparrot 1

7 hours ago, Saul Argon said:

And, here we go. Thoughts people?

1. The Gateway is only to be opened/used by authorization of the captain and research director. Violation of this is to be considered Major Trespassing (code 309) or Breaking an Entering (code 210) into a Restricted Area,  depending on circumstances;

2. All weaponry/equipment brought through the Gateway is to be processed and catalogued by the Head of Security. All lethal weaponry and Syndicate equipment must be kept in the Secure Armory unless otherwise authorized by the Head of Security. Violation of this is to be considered code 300 Possession of Contraband.

3. All personnel entering the Gateway are to be recorded by the Head of Personnel. The job title of  "Gateway Explorer" may be given to facilitate this. Violation of this is to be considered Major Trespassing code 309;

4. In the event of serious biohazard being located beyond the Gateway (e.g Terror Spiders),  the Gateway is to be sealed and Command must decide whether or not to continue Gateway exploration,  via majority vote;

5. In the event of a loss of contact with the Gateway exploration team, a rescue team is only to be sent with the written permission of the Captain, Head of Security and Research Director. The Nanotrasen Representative may veto this.

2. Don't you have to get a weapons permit first before you can even touch weapons? And that's usually done by the Head of Personnel so i don't really understand why the Head of Security has so much to say there. The HoS should be more interested in keeping the station safe,  the HoP, RD and Captain should worry about equipping the expedition squads.

5. I think only Captain and HoP should be worried about sending a rescue team.

Just my opinions, everything else seems cool enough.

1 hour ago, CaesersLegion said:

2. Don't you have to get a weapons permit first before you can even touch weapons? And that's usually done by the Head of Personnel so i don't really understand why the Head of Security has so much to say there. The HoS should be more interested in keeping the station safe,  the HoP, RD and Captain should worry about equipping the expedition squads.

5. I think only Captain and HoP should be worried about sending a rescue team.

Just my opinions, everything else seems cool enough.

I kind of agree with this. The more Heads of Staff you involve in the process, the harder it will be to get anything done. Also, no one is going to care about "written permission." They'll just debate it on the radio or in-person and decide that way. And who would the written permission be given to anyway? All the authorizing heads are already approving of it since they're the ones who would be organizing a rescue team in the first place, so who is the paperwork for?

8 minutes ago, TrainTN said:

I kind of agree with this. The more Heads of Staff you involve in the process, the harder it will be to get anything done. Also, no one is going to care about "written permission." They'll just debate it on the radio or in-person and decide that way. And who would the written permission be given to anyway? All the authorizing heads are already approving of it since they're the ones who would be organizing a rescue team in the first place, so who is the paperwork for?

Who is any paperwork for?

This may be a radical idea but...how about adding an automated turret or two to the gateway room? Officially to contain any hostiles coming through, but it could also deter greytide. And of course those with the gateway explorer job have full rights to be there and won't be stunned.

4 hours ago, TrainTN said:

That would be HoP work to send the guy with papers to heads. You would be suprised, there are HoPs that will not change your job without permission on paper ((f.e.: me))

While i have had a bit of time to think this whole thing over, I believe i came to a sound enough conclusion based on some other topics as well.

I have stated elsewhere that the HoP should really not be as engaged in Cargo as he is IF there is a Quartermaster present, and if not really cargo techs can do it all alone... So i only deem it logical for the HoP to both organize and arm the Gateway expeditions. He is the one that grants weapon permits and he is the one in charge of general public so I honestly see no other reason or role in the game that could fit this job any better. Now whether or not the Head of Security is willing to provide arsenal support to the expedition team is another thing, and I will agree that Gateway expeditions should not be forced but rather spontaneous and heavily dependent on the type of round currently being played.

2 hours ago, ID404NotFound said:

How does HoP arm gateway explorers with no interaction from the head of security?

You seem to misunderstand, the HoP provides them with weapon permits, the HoS however does not have to be inclined to provide them with weapons.

They can either make their own ( improvised shotgun, crossbow etc...) or order some from cargo.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use